1 phase 230v to VFD 3 phase 230V?

Thread: 1 phase 230v to VFD 3 phase 230V?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1 phase 230v to VFD 3 phase 230V?

Hello guys, new to the forum. So please forgive my newbie questions.
    I have a Yaskawa VS mini that is going to drive a 0.4hp AC spindle. The problem is that I dont have 3 phase 230V in my garage, only 1 phase 230V.
    Is there any possibilty to configure the VFD or maybe use a capacitor to get the desired 3 phase 230V which the VFD needs?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1 phase 230v to VFD 3 phase 230V?

Quote Originally Posted by dukei View Post
    Hello guys, new to the forum. So please forgive my newbie questions.
    I have a Yaskawa VS mini that is going to drive a 0.4hp AC spindle. The problem is that I dont have 3 phase 230V in my garage, only 1 phase 230V.
    Is there any possibilty to configure the VFD or maybe use a capacitor to get the desired 3 phase 230V which the VFD needs?
    Your VFD does not need 3phase, it can be wired Single Phase just as it is, when you say 230v single phase, I guess you are not in the USA as there single phase connection would be120v / 240v

So all you do is connect your, I'm guessing here because you don't say where you live, ( 1 ) Hot wire to the L1 / R terminal and your Neutral to the L2 / S Terminal and Ground to the Ground Connection and you will be running

You also have to set the correct Parameters for the motor /spindle you want to run, these will be all the motor spec's, and most important is the Frequency of the motor / spindle

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I´m located in Sweden so yes, we have live, neutral and ground. So third connector (L3) will be left unconnected? I`ll use the ground lug on the front off the VFD to connect the ground from the mains?
    Attached a pic of the VFD.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Your VFD does not need 3phase, it can be wired Single Phase just as it is, when you say 230v single phase, I guess you are not in the USA as there single phase connection would be120v / 240v

So all you do is connect your, I'm guessing here because you don't say where you live, ( 1 ) Hot wire to the L1 / R terminal and your Neutral to the L2 / S Terminal and Ground to the Ground Connection and you will be running

You also have to set the correct Parameters for the motor /spindle you want to run, these will be all the motor spec's, and most important is the Frequency of the motor / spindle

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 phase 230v to VFD 3 phase 230V?-img_20180326_170301-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It appears you have the 3phase 1.5Kw 2hp version.
    The B in place of the 2 would be the 200v 1ph/3ph version.
    Al.

Last edited by Al_The_Man; 03-26-2018 at 04:58 PM.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I´m located in Sweden so yes, we have live, neutral and ground. So third connector (L3) will be left unconnected? I`ll use the ground lug on the front off the VFD to connect the ground from the mains?
    Attached a pic of the VFD.
    That is Correct, what are your motor spec's

Be careful with the wiring, only connect the R L1 ( Live ) and S L2 ( Neutral ) and Ground to the Grounding Lug, these are the Upper Top Terminals on this VS Mini Series

The lower top 3 Terminals are for Breaking Resistor connection only

The output wiring U V W and Ground are on the bottom for your motor connection

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info! The motor has the following spec: 230V/1.7A, 400Hz, 0.37HP
    I will try it out tomorrow and report back.

That is Correct, what are your motor spec's

Be careful with the wiring, only connect the R L1 ( Live ) and S L2 ( Neutral ) and Ground to the Grounding Lug, these are the Upper Top Terminals on this VS Mini Series

The lower top 3 Terminals are for Breaking Resistor connection only

The output wiring U V W and Ground are on the bottom for your motor connection

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info! The motor has the following spec: 230V/1.7A, 400Hz, 0.37HP
    I will try it out tomorrow and report back.
    Don't Run Motor Spindle, until the main Parameters have been set, or you can damage these high Speed Spindles

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tip, I wired up the VFD as you suggested and it works fine. Thanks for the help!

Don't Run Motor Spindle, until the main Parameters have been set, or you can damage these high Speed Spindles