Vfd spindle just stopped spinning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vfd spindle just stopped spinning.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vfd spindle just stopped spinning.

Hi I have a cnc using a 2.2kw HY02D223B and today halfway through a cut the spindle stopped turning. The Vfd now displays:

E.Lu.S

I've read this is a power issue.
    Has anyone come across this before and is this vfd faulty? It has worked for several months so I can't see how it's a power feed issue.

Any advice appreciated.
    Jase

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vfd spindle just stopped spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by potts43 View Post
    Hi I have a cnc using a 2.2kw HY02D223B and today halfway through a cut the spindle stopped turning. The Vfd now displays:

E.Lu.S

I've read this is a power issue.
    Has anyone come across this before and is this vfd faulty? It has worked for several months so I can't see how it's a power feed issue.

Any advice appreciated.
    Jase

This Fault is for low voltage, how do you have the input power wired, there also could be a bad connection with the Spindle wiring

Just because it was running, does not mean that you have the correct Parameters set, do you have a list of what you have set

The VFD may be damaged if you can't reset it, by pressing the Start/Rest button, most times with this Fault there is a wiring problem

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    This Fault is for low voltage, how do you have the input power wired, there also could be a bad connection with the Spindle wiring

Just because it was running, does not mean that you have the correct Parameters set, do you have a list of what you have set

The VFD may be damaged if you can't reset it, by pressing the Start/Rest button, most times with this Fault there is a wiring problem
    I will check and get back to you....but it has been working for months. ????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought it 'setup' so I didn't wire or program anything. I was told that I only ever needed to adjust the Revolution knob. Are there some standard settings?

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought it 'setup' so I didn't wire or program anything. I was told that I only ever needed to adjust the Revolution knob. Are there some standard settings?

Take some photos of the power input wiring at the VFD, so you may need to remove the VFD covers, without a Parameter list no one will know if it has been setup correct or not

Are there some standard settings, " NO " each motor have different requirements, some are basic, others need more care, what is the motor spec's that you are driving with the VFD

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Take some photos of the power input wiring at the VFD, so you may need to remove the VFD covers, without a Parameter list no one will know if it has been setup correct or not

Are there some standard settings, " NO " each motor have different requirements, some are basic, others need more care, what is the motor spec's that you are driving with the VFD
    I will check this lot tomorrow. I appreciate your help. I'm just the end user not the builder so please bear with me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are the photos. I checked the settings on the vfd and they match this picture. Here are some photos of the hardware too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are the photos. I checked the settings on the vfd and they match this picture. Here are some photos of the hardware too
    It's always interesting to see what some people do, and what others buy, thinking that if it works it should be ok

The wiring is not very well done, the most important part, and the heart of all machines

The input Power should be wired R=Hot T= neutral and Ground connected to the Ground Terminal, they can run like this but it is not correct, so this should be your first change

I see also that the spindle Cable Shield is not Grounded, this needs to be Grounded at both ends, Spindle and at the VFD, I'm not sure how you will do this as it looks like everything is mounted on a wood panel, not a good idea for any electrical system

Some of the main Parameters are set, and are correct, but there are more that need to be done to run this spindle correctly and safely, so you don't have these fault problems

Here is the Parameters that you need to set

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 9 ( Motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 10 amp max )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's always interesting to see what some people do, and what others buy, thinking that if it works it should be ok

The wiring is not very well done, the most important part, and the heart of all machines

The input Power should be wired R=Hot T= neutral and Ground connected to the Ground Terminal, they can run like this but it is not correct, so this should be your first change

I see also that the spindle Cable Shield is not Grounded, this needs to be Grounded at both ends, Spindle and at the VFD, I'm not sure how you will do this as it looks like everything is mounted on a wood panel, not a good idea for any electrical system

Some of the main Parameters are set, and are correct, but there are more that need to be done to run this spindle correctly and safely, so you don't have these fault problems

Here is the Parameters that you need to set

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 9 ( Motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 10 amp max )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )
    As you say I bought it like this.

There are two earth/ground wires bolted to the case via the mdf base so I guess it is grounded as you suggest.

I watched the video from the link on the first photo. He had it wired to R hot and S neutral. That differs to your advice. Which is correct? I had intended to try his wiring until now......

Would it be wise to reset this to factory settings before re programming?

Is this error fixable or is there a possibility it is damaged?

Thanks Jase

Last edited by potts43; 12-13-2017 at 02:34 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I followed your instructions and factory reset the device before entering your parameters but it still says E.lu.5.

Any ideas?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I press the stop/reset it clicks inside the vfd but does not reset the error.

If this is damaged, is it worth replacing it with an identical unit or a 'better brand or model ?

Downloads
    Uploads

When I press the stop/reset it clicks inside the vfd but does not reset the error.

If this is damaged, is it worth replacing it with an identical unit or a 'better brand or model ?

Did you change the wiring, it is not correct the way it is wired, by the photo it is wired S and T you need it wired R Hot and T Neutral only and Ground to the Ground Terminal

The next thing would be to check to see if the spindle itself is Grounded this is important, does you spindle have a 3 Pin or a 4 Pin plug ?? if a 4 pin then you need to check that the 4th Pin is connected to Ground / Earth Spindle Body, if it is not then it will need to be connected before running the spindle, If you have the 3 Pin plug then the Ground wire needs to be attached to the spindle Body as well as the Shield

The Fault not only meaning low voltage, it also means you could have a phase missing, so the spindle to VFD Cable needs all connections to be checked

And the last thing to try would be to change the PD209 to a lower number, you need to power off the VFD after doing this change, then power back up

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you change the wiring, it is not correct the way it is wired, by the photo it is wired S and T you need it wired R Hot and T Neutral only and Ground to the Ground Terminal

The next thing would be to check to see if the spindle itself is Grounded this is important, does you spindle have a 3 Pin or a 4 Pin plug ?? if a 4 pin then you need to check that the 4th Pin is connected to Ground / Earth Spindle Body, if it is not then it will need to be connected before running the spindle, If you have the 3 Pin plug then the Ground wire needs to be attached to the spindle Body as well as the Shield

The Fault not only meaning low voltage, it also means you could have a phase missing, so the spindle to VFD Cable needs all connections to be checked

And the last thing to try would be to change the PD209 to a lower number, you need to power off the VFD after doing this change, then power back up
    The photo was before I rewired it to your instructions. I will check the wiring on the spindle later. Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've not had chance to scrutinise the wiring but it is a 4 pin and it has an earth cable as in the attached photo. When I go to 209 it says NULL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've not had chance to scrutinise the wiring but it is a 4 pin and it has an earth cable as in the attached photo. When I go to 209 it says NULL.

Earth on spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Earth on spindle

That does not look good at all, and would be a code violation having it wired like that

Any of the manufactures codes can be trick to get access to, you should be more concerned with your wiring at this point

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That does not look good at all, and would be a code violation having it wired like that

Any of the manufactures codes can be trick to get access to, you should be more concerned with your wiring at this point
    How do I alter it from null?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Query?....if I disconnected the spindle before booting up would the error still show up if it was down to the spindle?

Downloads
    Uploads

Query?....if I disconnected the spindle before booting up would the error still show up if it was down to the spindle?

No it may still show up, the fault has not much to do with the spindle unless there is some bad connections in the plug at the spindle, if you are going to try just the VFD disconnect the U V W at the VFD

The correct connections for the VFD to Spindle is U= Pin 1 V=Pin 2 W= Pin 3 and Ground to Pin 4

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

How do I alter it from null?

You may not be allowed to change it, did you enter PD200=65535 first

Mactec54

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast