Need Help! Running an Air Compressor with a VFD. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Running an Air Compressor with a VFD.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeon View Post
    I could but the question is. The motor is wired directly to the VFD. There is a pressure switch that has contacts that will allow the compressor to run if below 120psi. Can i wire that into the VFD so that when it hits 120psi it shuts off until it hits 90 psi it will cycle again?
    Yes I know what you want to do, the VFD may need a another signal as well to turn it on, this is normal, so I gave you some things to try, Your VFD is limited as to what it can do, it is the cheapest less controllable than other VFD Drives, have you checked the pressure switch to see that it is turning ON / OFF, don't go by what you saw in a video, that was a different VFD Drive

Last edited by mactec54; 10-28-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hurray, I got it figured out. And I want to thank those that gave advise and replies to help solve the problem.

So here is the way that a Properly sized VFD will work with an air compressor(even a cheap one).

1. Wire the motor direct to the VFD.
    2. Your pressure contractor switch should have four contact terminals you should check for continuity for two terminals and use those. Hook them up to the 5V OUT and 5V IN.
    3. Set you parameters in the VFD (See Below but you may need to tweak them if your manual is different them mine, see earlier post on this thread).
    4. Make sure that the motor has the correct rotation for your compressor(Switch two leads if necessary).

My setting as follows. And I may tweak the ones Mactec54 advised. But it starts and builds to 120psi and cuts out as it should and when it hits aprox 90psi it cycles again with out any issues.

Pn01- 1, Pn02- 60, Pn03- 3, Pn04- 1, Pn05- 1, Pn06- 1, Pn07- 2, Pn08- 10, Pn09- 60, Pn10, 60, Pn11- 1.5, Pn12-60, Pn13- .5, Pn14- 60, Pn-15 thru Pn35 are default from the manufacturer and shouldn't need anything changed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hurray, I got it figured out. And I want to thank those that gave advise and replies to help solve the problem.

So here is the way that a Properly sized VFD will work with an air compressor(even a cheap one).

1. Wire the motor direct to the VFD.
    2. Your pressure contractor switch should have four contact terminals you should check for continuity for two terminals and use those. Hook them up to the 5V OUT and 5V IN.
    3. Set you parameters in the VFD (See Below but you may need to tweak them if your manual is different them mine, see earlier post on this thread).
    4. Make sure that the motor has the correct rotation for your compressor(Switch two leads if necessary).

My setting as follows. And I may tweak the ones Mactec54 advised. But it starts and builds to 120psi and cuts out as it should and when it hits aprox 90psi it cycles again with out any issues.

Pn01- 1, Pn02- 60, Pn03- 3, Pn04- 1, Pn05- 1, Pn06- 1, Pn07- 2, Pn08- 10, Pn09- 60, Pn10, 60, Pn11- 1.5, Pn12-60, Pn13- .5, Pn14- 60, Pn-15 thru Pn35 are default from the manufacturer and shouldn't need anything changed.
    So you connected the pressure switch with the 5v in and out, do you still have the other connection FWD and GND or did you just jumper this connection

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Parameters look good except for Pn11=1.5 that is factory Default, you need to change that to at least 40Hz but can be up to 60Hz, 40Hz makes it safe

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I had to assume it would need to make a circuit. So, 5V Out to switch and from other terminal on switch to 5V IN. When compressor hits 120psi it turns off. When tank hits 90psi it turns on.

I did have it running with parameters in the photo just didn't have the switch wired correctly. When I tried your suggestions I had to do trial and error, because It either wouldn't run the compressor or it would run slower than 60hz. Pn11 at 50 the compressor would not run. I don't know why. But, I will try and tweak Pn11 and see what it does. Your photo of the 5V in and out with the potentiometer helped, just the Air switch is the on and off and not a variable speed switch. So, we got it going. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I had to assume it would need to make a circuit. So, 5V Out to switch and from other terminal on switch to 5V IN. When compressor hits 120psi it turns off. When tank hits 90psi it turns on.

I did have it running with parameters in the photo just didn't have the switch wired correctly. When I tried your suggestions I had to do trial and error, because It either wouldn't run the compressor or it would run slower than 60hz. Pn11 at 50 the compressor would not run. I don't know why. But, I will try and tweak Pn11 and see what it does. Your photo of the 5V in and out with the potentiometer helped, just the Air switch is the on and off and not a variable speed switch. So, we got it going. Thanks.
    The Pn11 is the minimum that the motor can be run at, that is why I said 40, I would of used a jumper 5v in 5v out, if you could not get full RPM with a Potentiometer installed, 2 Resistors can be used also instead of the Pot, and then used the correct switching of FWD and GND connected to the Pressure Switch

All VFD Drives Have these same connections, just some will work slightly different and have different Parameters to set

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12