Face milling of round part

Thread: Face milling of round part

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Face milling of round part

Hello guys!

I'm in the process of developing my first proper macro, and just thought it would be helpful to get some input from more experienced programmers on how to go about this.
    So we frequently mill round parts with a radius at work(Ball end mill shape), it's spherical Eye rod ends for hydraulic cylinders. We turn them and mill in the same machine.

Currently the coordinates X,Y are programmed in relation to the final Z depth. Which of course means that before depth is reached there is a lot of air cutting in both x and y directions.

Im looking to write a face milling macro that calculates X and Y coordinates in relation to current Z depth so that air cutting is eliminated. I'm not really sure how I should go about this though. I realize it isn't that complicated but I do feel a bit lost in regards to where to put in the logic and an efficient way to loop it.

I'm very thankful for any suggestions!

Regards

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Face milling of round part

hy dkcre, do you still need help with this ?

if yes, please provide part dimensions before and after + tool shape; like this, i may share exact drawings, showing how to start & end each pass, and also tricks to shorten your cycle time, by messing with the toolpath, and by using a "round" function that uses a tolerance, in order to reduce the number of passes / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Face milling of round part

hello please check attached simple toolpath; for okuma machines, i implement it years ago, with optimizations for geometry and machine motion parameters, so to reduce shocks / kindly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Face milling of round part-d2-side-clinder-png  
    we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...