macro system variable for Z axis load?

Thread: macro system variable for Z axis load?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default macro system variable for Z axis load?

is there a way to monitor the load of an axis in a macro? (the manual didn't help)

I want to do something like this (Z- drilling example)....

while Z axis load < 50% feed to Z value
    if load > 50% stop and retract +1.0mm, wait 2 seconds then continue feeding.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fordav11 View Post
    is there a way to monitor the load of an axis in a macro? (the manual didn't help)

I'm not aware of a general system variable available in the Fanuc package that will allow you to achieve what you want, but some MTBs supply an enhanced Macro executable that has load monitoring, Nakamura being one. If I can find the detail I'll post it. You never now, it may be a variable that is available. but just not listed by Fanuc.

Fanuc has iLimitS CNC Software Option for Machine Process, monitoring load, speed and coolant monitoring with Macro

Regards,

Bill

Last edited by angelw; 11-24-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

According to Operator's Manual of 0iMB, G83 can be used in conjunction with overload torque detection signal. This mode is selected my an M-code specified in parameter 5163.
    I have never used this feature, but this is what I could make out (my interpretation can be incorrect also!):
    It manipulates F and S by sensing the cutting torque. If there is no overload (i.e., no skip signal), drilling is done up to the defined peck depth Q, and thereafter F is increased and S is decreased by predefined percentages (through paramaters) automatically, for the next peck. If overload is detected, the tool is retracted even before reaching Q depth, and thereafter F is decreased and S is increased. F and S can be increased to their maximum possible values on a particular machine. It is also possible to define their minimum values below which these are not decreased.
    The number of retractions made during cutting and that made in response to the overload signal can be output to chosen common variables.

Read the manual for more details, and find out whether this feature serves your requirements.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your time checking this. I wanted to use load sensing in other ways too.

All I really need is a system variable for 'Current Z Axis Load'

Obviously this is not available but I'm sure there is provision for a load signal somewhere in the control since newer Mori Seiki multi-axis machines have tool breakage/load monitoring as a standard feature. The problem is this kind of monitoring stops the machine with an alarm when a problem occurs and I want to avoid stops/alarms.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am curious on this one as well. I do not know of any macros or variables that can track the load of an axis while drilling by using any kind of conditional statments because these conditions have to be written into the code before and after the hole is being drilled....not during.

Sinha's explanation is the only thing that I have seen where you can set parameters to alarm the machine if a load exceeds a specified amount.

It sounds to me that you really want to just have something track the high/low of the load on an axis while running. I can view things like this on a few controls under the servo monitoring screen but this is not on every machine and I have not idea if there is a way to store that data somewhere.

Stevo

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: macro system variable for Z axis load?

New here. Hate to dig up an old thread but wondering if anyone has had any luck locating a macro Variable displays the current load of a certain axis. The doors this would open when it comes to Parametric Programming would be incredible.

Downloads
    Uploads

hi joesnel

... maybe what do you wish to do ? i may help for okuma osp

also, there are adaptive functions / kindly

ps : interesting 1st post

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

What i am looking to do is to bump knurl a roll 50+ inches in length. I have attempted this with a bump knurl only to find the material flexes in the middle (3.4" OD) and therefore the knurl does not maintain perfect points.

The idea is once i know what load on the X axis creates the knurl i am looking for i would have the program monitor the X axis load at intervals say .02" and would then make small changes to the x dimension (+or-) till the load is back withing its set range.

Downloads
    Uploads

how much does the material bend ? thus, what offset changes do you expect, thus what is the variation of the knurl depth ?

do you have the load diagram, for cutting air, and for cutting the part, so to compute the "difference" ?

what is the load created by reversing the turret sense ? turret mass will input some 'noise', and this situation must be managed, so to detect if the overload is caused by turret mass or by cutting load; this may require to adjust the load value, so to analyze only the load generated by the tool

i would have the program monitor the X axis load at intervals say .02"
    the interval must be long enough to collect a minimal required load data, and also short enough, so to ensure system responsiveness, but still long enough to avoid cnc motion succumb; Z feed plays an important roll; however ...

all these values create a domain, and the domain must be within a certain absolute range, otherwise is not possible ... and there are others things, but it may work

maybe, a simpler solution, would be to cut a few trial cuts, and maybe a patters comes out, so to adjust this behaviour by g-code / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

I understand that there are a lot of variables that would need to be sorted out to make this work but honestly without a macro variable on the controller that displays the current load of an axis it would all be in vain.

The issue with running trail cuts are first we run these knurls any length from 70." down to 20", second the cost of center-less ground 3.400" T304 Stainless is not cheap third one imperfection and the part is junk.

Downloads
    Uploads

without a macro variable on the controller that displays the current load of an axis it would all be in vain
    i can try to help for okuma osp

even if the macro variable was there, you could not use it, because you would have to stop the motion of the machine, so to input a conditional code and check it's value

you would need to check a value that represents the machine state before executing the conditional code, thus you would need to read the system variable from the 'past'

... and there are also other things

The issue with running trail cuts ... one imperfection and the part is junk
    if possible, run the trial at a bigger diameter, then turn it to the final diameter; it takes a bit longer, but maybe it will work, thus, after a few parts, you may see a pattern / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

using fanuc. I have created a program that pules the RPM when turning longer shafts unsupported and is similar in the fact it only feeds so far then changes rpm and feeds but this happens so fast you cant even see that it stops feeding, it works very well and we use a lot. was hoping to use similar idea to knurl. I am sure i will come up with something. Thanks again for the help.

Downloads
    Uploads

how does the controller decide to change rpm & feed ? is this decision based on monitoring ( axis load ) ?

this happens so fast you cant even see that it stops feeding
    changing rpm is done while the linear axis is in-position, thus it is still feeding, and, if the rpm response is fast, then the linear axis won't stop, or it may slow down for a short period of time, thus it will decelerate a bit, then back on speed

using fanuc
    i have no clue about fanuc, but, the infos shared at post 3 by sinha, sounds interesting, because the cycle is performed depending on axis load, so there is no need for conditional g-code

Downloads
    Uploads

hello joesnel, if i may, how does the controller decide to change rpm & feed ? is this decision based on monitoring ( axis load ) ? kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

hey fordav sunshine, are you still arround ? my pleasure to anounce that i am ready on this one, for okuma

i 1st solved this in 2019, but it was slow; better results popped up like a month ago, reaction time is pretty good

All I really need is a system variable for 'Current Z Axis Load'

Obviously this is not available but I'm sure there is provision for a load signal somewhere in the control since newer Mori Seiki multi-axis machines have tool breakage/load monitoring as a standard feature. The problem is this kind of monitoring stops the machine with an alarm when a problem occurs and I want to avoid stops/alarms.
    you where on the right path, and there is more to make it work

current development is like every torque function is a particular case of the method, thus instead of using a special function, you can simply code it, like spec emulation through code; g-code no longer drives, but is driven, you can't predict next movement ... and i can do other things as well

Quote Originally Posted by Joesnel View Post
    using fanuc. I have created a program that pules the RPM when turning longer shafts unsupported and is similar in the fact it only feeds so far then changes rpm and feeds but this happens so fast you cant even see that it stops feeding, it works very well and we use a lot. was hoping to use similar idea to knurl. I am sure i will come up with something. Thanks again for the help.
    highest change rate is machine & setup specific, so such a method requires tuning the code for the machine, as it may behave different on another one, or use a slow enogh change, that is guaranteed to work on any other machine

Last edited by deadlykitten; 09-02-2023 at 03:06 AM.