What machine cutting area suits you best?

Thread: What machine cutting area suits you best?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question What machine cutting area suits you best?

What cutting area suits your needs and space best.?

This can be either a Router or Mill type machine. So here's a few questions.

#1 Machine type, Mill or Router (no lathes)
    #2 Cutting area X, Y, Z
    #3 Ideal overall footprint size W,D,H (or space to fit into)
    #4 Floor standing or benchtop.
    #5 Material most likely to be cut.

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What machine cutting area suits you best?

That's a pretty open ended question given that everyone's needs are different.

For my purposes:
    #1 Mill
    #2 about 40x14x18 inches
    #3 I have plenty of shop space, so a full enclosure for flood coolant. Footprint about 10x7x8 feet
    #4 Definitely floor standing
    #5 Mostly aluminum, some plastic, and stainless steel.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The one I don't have when I need that extra inch or two!

Downloads
    Uploads

hello, i just discovered this thread like someone said : ' always one size too small '

sometimes it may be needed just a bit of more travel, and that may be solved by using a custom tool&holder

maybe is needed to modify the tailstock as a steady rest, remove the right cover, and voila, you can rough longer parts

put a big orizontal 4th axis inside a vmc, and voila, you can mill a bigger part, by indexing the rotary axis

a while ago we discused the option to machine a bigger part on a cnc lathe, by raising the spindle using a cast iron plate

today we discused the option to machine a huge size part by using an horizontal rotary axis ( comanded from the mill ) near the lathe, using the y turret in an interpolated manned, because it is not vertical; even more intersting if we could use the rotary axis vertical, thus using the cnc turret to cut on a part that is not rotated by main spindle .... oh, i almost forgot, also today we discussed about using a more powerfull part ejector inside the 2nd spindle, that should eject the parts directly to the customer door

things can be done, especially if there are veterans ( machine level +5000 experience ) in your shop there are also others that prefer to get their nails done, so ...

if you wish, check this video :

raise by handling inner self conflicts, then even more, by trying not to be alone; emotions is all that truly matters ... war against awareness started more than a lifetime ago