G-code Ripper for newbie

Thread: G-code Ripper for newbie

Downloads
    Uploads

Default G-code Ripper for newbie

Hi all.
    I kindly ask you for some .... hints on how to use this software on linuxCNC.

As (finally) I finished building my machine, I'm starting the test cuts.
    Unfortunately, the worktable is not flat, so I have been looking for a solution, and found GcodeRipper.

As I understood, it should work like my 3D printer: before the job, the probe tests all the surface, then modifies the code to adapt to the worktable.

But, after reading the manual and watching video on youtube, I still have some problem.

- The software comes with a GUI in Windows, but how to use it in LinuxCNC? It works only by commandline and no possibility of linux GUI? (I'm not really Linux-friendly....).

So I tried to work with 2 PCs, one with LinuxCNC and one with Windows. On Windows, I open the gcode with GcodeRipper, set the probe offset, then save the new file (probe and cut); but:

- I get a message about LinuxCNC: "The probe point data from LinucCNC will be written to a file named 'probe_points.txt' . The file will be located in the linuxCNC configuration folder." Now my question: I'm using a Windows PC (then with no LinuxCNC): where will you put this file???? Btw, how to use this file?

- Nevertheless, I saved the new gcode file (with the appendix Probe_n_cut). Before migrate the file to the second PC (linuxCNC), I tried to run online the file to check the job. The new file is...odd: on the preview area I can see the added probe path (zig-zag), but my original path is damaged (about one third of the job is missing). If I try anyway to run the job, the "virtual" tool seems move with no target, ignoring completely even my "survived" path.

Can someone kindly take me by hand through the full process from ripping the code to make linuxcnc follows the new one?

Thank you all very much

Andrea

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G-code Ripper for newbie

Me again.
    Back home from work, I tried some other test. I took some pics to better describe the problem.
    Pic1
    This is the original vector during the CAM process. As you can see, I set the origin in the center. This test job is divided in 2 codes: the first just for the labels and the graphics, the second for the cutting paths.

Pic2
    This is Gcode ripper windows concerning the first code (the labels and graphics) with the probe offset. The first issue I can see is the origin: in the CAM is quite more upward considering the number "2" in the middle-down portion, while in Gcode ripper window the same number is in the up-right portion.....

Pic3
    This is the webpage https://ncviewer.com/ (I check the code online here). The code loaded is the one created by CAM software. The number "2" is the right position

Pic4
    This is the same webpage, but the code loaded is the "probe 'n cut" generated by GcodeRipper: a mess....

Pic5 and Pic6 are concerning the second code (the cutting path) in GcodeRipper and on the web simulator: same issue......

Beside the problem with the corrupted (?) code generated by GcodeRipper, the issue with the origin is considerable: after changing the tools to execute the second code, the labels and the cuts won't correspond anymore....

Thanks

Andrea

Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm....a number of different problems by looks of things. If this had been posted to Scorch's own thread he would have received an e-mail notification.
    His e-mail address is in Gcode-ripper 'Help(About)' tab if you want to go that route. Maybe I can help a little.

Firstly, this should work using Linux. It probably needs to be made executable, using Linux Mint that's just a matter of right clicking on the fengrave file
    (inside the fengrave directory) and giving it executable permission. Once that's done right click the file, 'open' and let it 'run'. Your flavour of Linux may work slightly
    different, that's part of the frustration. If that doesn't work try running fengrave from a terminal and see what error(s) print, down the rabbit hole we go.

If you can get to this point Linuxcnc Axis can backplot without resorting to Windows and ncviewer.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

A correction to my last post: the 'right click to run' trick works with f-engrave but doesn't work with Gcode-ripper.
    I have gcode-ripper in the Downloads folder, so:
    Ctrl+Alt+t will open a terminal. In the terminal type-->
    python Downloads/g-code_ripper/g-code_ripper-016.py

If you have permission to run the program this really should work as long as the correct files were downloaded from Scorchworks.

As to the rest of the problems it may help to attach the non-adjusted gcode file and explain the goal.

btw: I don't use ripper the way usually demonstrated. I'll mark an origin on the stock to set the probe x,y,z zero.
    After that smartprobe.ngc (it's in examples folder) is run in Linuxcnc to collect the point cloud. That data (probe_results) is brought
    into gcode-ripper to adjust the file. Then the cutting tool is touched to the mark made earlier for a new xyz zero. My probe travels
    between machines so auto-probe has little advantage

Last edited by cyclestart; 12-11-2018 at 08:52 PM.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thankyou very much for the hints.
    As soon as I can (I'm at work) I'll try to do it and let it know.

Andrea

Downloads
    Uploads

The easiest way to run g-code ripper in Linux is to download the file then type "python g-code_ripper-016.py" in a terminal window. (You need to be in the folder that contains the file named g-code_ripper-016.py when you run the command.) Running G-Code Ripper using the python command avoids problems you could encounter with respect to line endings (DOS vs Unix) and file permissions.

The shifting origin is probably occurring because the "Origin" option in G-Code Ripper is set to "Mid-Center" instead of "Default". (I am guessing based on the screen shots. The setting is not shown in the screen shots.) Using the "Default" origin will maintain the origin from the input file.

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanky very much, all of you.
    Right, the origin was set "Middle-Center". Like an idiot, I've been thinking I had to set it like in my file, while for GCode Ripper "default" means the original file.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Andrea

Downloads
    Uploads

Today (finally some freetime for my hobbies......) I tried again to start a job using GcodeRipper.
    Shortly: zeroed the machine, set the probe Z height, launched GcodeRipper and loaded my file, set the Z offset, saved the probe-only file, executed the probe file on linuxcnc, imported the probe points into Gcode ripper, recalculate the file, saved the adjusted file, launched the adjusted file in linuxcnc.

Well.....the machine started to move, and I started to deceive myself.... at line 15 the machine stops (while I expect to see the bit traveling down to Z0 and start carving) ......waiting for I don't know what......and waited....again and again.... after couple of minutes, I stopped everything and restarted from "zeroed the machine, etc etc".

I did it 3 times.....

But nothing changes: at line 15 the machine stops and waits....... (question: I can see a F0.01 at line 15. Why this low feedrate???)

I don't understand what happens.

Attached there my test files (the original Gcode comes from vectric)

Thanks

Andrea

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jocman View Post
    But nothing changes: at line 15 the machine stops and waits....... (question: I can see a F0.01 at line 15. Why this low feedrate???)
    What feed rate did you expect?

The problem is there is no feed rate defined before the first G1 command in your input file. G-Code Ripper has no idea what speed to use so it goes with something really slow to make sure nothing bad happens when the g-code is run. I suppose a warning would be nice when this happens.

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply.
    I'll check vectric aspire settings for the issue about the feedrate.
    If I load the original file in linuxcnc,the machine works fine,allegedly because in case of missing initial feedrate linuxcnc uses the default feedrates.
    So I suppose if i change manually the feedrate at line 15 it would work? (Well,0.01 mm/min is almost stopped....)
    Btw,it could be a nice update to your software if it will ask for the feedrate when the input file has no feedrate set.
    Tomorrow I'll make some other test and let know

Andrea

Downloads
    Uploads

Well.....
    First of all, I wish to thanks giving once again to Scorch for his software.
    After editing manually the adjusted Gcode (I put a feedrate 1000) the machine starts working, and, honestly, the result (to me) is AWESOME. It has been really....exciting to see my "creatures" come to life, even if I need to fix some details (like the front/back job).
    About the original feedrate problem, maybe is related to the way I generate the Gcode in Aspire, I'll check it out again and again.
    The only thing that puzzles me is that, every time, when reaches the 3/4 of the job, the machine slow down.... I have to manually move the feedrate slide on linuxcnc to make it acceleratte to the previous speed. I don't understand why this happens....

Andrea

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jocman View Post
    Well.....
    First of all, I wish to thanks giving once again to Scorch for his software.
    After editing manually the adjusted Gcode (I put a feedrate 1000) the machine starts working, and, honestly, the result (to me) is AWESOME. It has been really....exciting to see my "creatures" come to life, even if I need to fix some details (like the front/back job).
    About the original feedrate problem, maybe is related to the way I generate the Gcode in Aspire, I'll check it out again and again.
    The only thing that puzzles me is that, every time, when reaches the 3/4 of the job, the machine slow down.... I have to manually move the feedrate slide on linuxcnc to make it acceleratte to the previous speed. I don't understand why this happens....

Andrea
    Did you look in the g-code for feed rate changes?

Scorch
    www.scorchworks.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I tried G code ripper today, for the first time.

I did run the probing with some make shift arrangement to check if the program runs or not and cut in air, so I am not sure about the result accuracy, hope It will be more interesting than today's trial.

But, does G code ripper work for XZA arrangement?