"World of Word" indexing controller, need some hand holding to put this together

Thread: "World of Word" indexing controller, need some hand holding to put this together

Downloads
    Uploads

Default "World of Word" indexing controller, need some hand holding to put this together

Hello,

I need some hand-holding as I try to put together a "World of Word" indexing controller, I'm not bright enough to figure this stuff out for myself.
    I have purchased the controller from "World of Ward" have an old Haas 5C indexer, gear ratio 72 to 1 with a stepper motor, 6 leads, 200 steps per rev, 2.5VDC, 4.6 amp, a power supply, 24VDC 1.2 amps, and a Gecko drive, GR214V.
    Some of my questions are, the motor says 2.5VDC-4.6amp and the power supply I have says 24VDC-4.6amp, do I need a different power supply is 24VDC to much too little.
    I emailed gecko and they say to hook up my stepper motor in series, does this mean I hook the 2 center leads together and the 2 outside leads go the Gecko Drive also on the Gecko drive it has 2 terminals for winding A and 2 for winding B, does it matter which end of the winding goes to 1A or 2A same for terminal B.
    Do I need a heatsink or fan for the box I put all the electronics in, I'm sure all have many more questions?

Your help is greatly appreciated,
    Bruce

Similar Threads:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: "World of Word" indexing controller, need some hand holding to put this together

Hi,

Some of my questions are, the motor says 2.5VDC-4.6amp and the power supply I have says 24VDC-4.6amp, do I need a different power supply is 24VDC to much too little.
    No, if anything I would say 24VDC is too low, you should aim for 60-70V.

The rating on the motor is correct, it would take only 2.5VDC to cause rated current (4.6A) to flow in a winding. The stepper driver controls (via a sophisticated
    PWM circuit) to restrict the current to rated (4.6A) despite the much higher voltage being applied. The advantage of high voltage is to 'force the current through
    the coils as fast as possible' and thereby get the stepper to run fast.

ALL steppers lose torque the faster they go, most will have less than 10% of their torque at 1000rpm. The only way to counteract that is to use the highest voltage
    your drivers will tolerate.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: "World of Word" indexing controller, need some hand holding to put this together

With the help of steve@worldofward.com, I came up with this diagram for hooking up my controller. The stepper motor will move when I use the test button on the Gecko drive but will not move when I use the World on Ward controller, I'm at a loss for what to do now. Also looking for a larger power supply if anyone has any suggestions,

Bruce

Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

Added a wire from the controller 5V terminal to the gecko drive and it runs perfectly now