DIY AC Servo Drive - ATMega based - Page 4

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY AC Servo Drive - ATMega based

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY AC Servo Drive - ATMega based

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Ok, so now it's at $38 dollars, without the programming connector, power supply stuff, and fuse. (I figure you only program once, and will use a PC power supply)

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=5e17007e20

And I used network resistors where I could to keep the parts count under control (which means those would need to be replaced with standard to use with the existing board layout, or a new layout made)

Before I order the parts, I would REALLY appreciate it if anyone would check it over and make sure there are no errors.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=5e17007e20
    Parts look in order to me. The list contains more than 1 variant for a position like for the power resistor. You will have to choose one that fits better in your board.
    I am really curious to see a SMD design of a PCB.

Mihai

Downloads
    Uploads

SMD part, i think need used 2 layer PCB, let me try

sori my poor english

Last edited by tivoidethuong; 01-22-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcm_xyz View Post
    Parts look in order to me. The list contains more than 1 variant for a position like for the power resistor. You will have to choose one that fits better in your board.
    I am really curious to see a SMD design of a PCB.

Mihai
    Ah, thank you for noticing, I had two versions of R32 power resistor on the list. I've removed the duplicate and kept your suggestion. That brings it under $35 for parts in single quantities. (it's near $18 each in 100's). Plus the PCB. And then the motor and encoder (Ah! What encoder did you use? Is it still the one from the mouse?)

And your assembly labor, of course... even with the network resistors it's a lot of soldering! LOL.

And for that you /should/ get at least 2 AMPS but perhaps 25 AMPS at up to 48 volts. And for sure 1500 RPM, but perhaps 3000 RPM. Promising, but it would be really good to have some more testing. Remember, if you order that parts list, you will need to replace the two network resistors with individual resistors unless you lay out a new PCB.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ah, thank you for noticing, I had two versions of R32 power resistor on the list. I've removed the duplicate and kept your suggestion. That brings it under $35 for parts in single quantities. (it's near $18 each in 100's). Plus the PCB. And then the motor and encoder (Ah! What encoder did you use? Is it still the one from the mouse?)

And your assembly labor, of course... even with the network resistors it's a lot of soldering! LOL.

And for that you /should/ get at least 2 AMPS but perhaps 25 AMPS at up to 48 volts. And for sure 1500 RPM, but perhaps 3000 RPM. Promising, but it would be really good to have some more testing. Remember, if you order that parts list, you will need to replace the two network resistors with individual resistors unless you lay out a new PCB.
    Hello again

For the encoder I chose a cheap avago encoder:
    AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES - HEDR-5420-ES214 - ENCODER MODULE, 200CPR, 5MM, 2 CHANNEL | Protehno
    This particular one was available in Romania, fits my motor shaft, and has 200CPR (in fact that is 400PPR, so the board record 400 pulses per revolution)
    The motor I used is bought from ebay around 25 british pound per piece.

I can get more than 3000 RPM with it with my board. I am also sure that the final stage with irfz44 can handle 20A at ease... at 5A it does not heat at all... but this depends a lot on the mechanical load conditions.

Mihai

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello again

For the encoder I chose a cheap avago encoder:
    AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES - HEDR-5420-ES214 - ENCODER MODULE, 200CPR, 5MM, 2 CHANNEL | Protehno
    This particular one was available in Romania, fits my motor shaft, and has 200CPR (in fact that is 400PPR, so the board record 400 pulses per revolution)
    The motor I used is bought from ebay around 25 british pound per piece.

I can get more than 3000 RPM with it with my board. I am also sure that the final stage with irfz44 can handle 20A at ease... at 5A it does not heat at all... but this depends a lot on the mechanical load conditions.

Mihai
    Cool. I found that encoder at Mouser and added it to the parts order list. $28.

Are these the sort of motors we could expect to run:
    "ac servo motor" | eBay

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool. I found that encoder at Mouser and added it to the parts order list. $28.

Are these the sort of motors we could expect to run:
    "ac servo motor" | eBay

Those are servo motors. They have already the encoder included. it's no need to buy another one.
    if you just want to test you can use those cheap BLDC motors available for RC.
    brushless motor | eBay

basically you can use any kind of AC motor as long as it has 3 wires

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Playing around with board designs.
    SMD and Through hole on same board.

Top:
    Board1.JPG

Bottom:
    Board2.JPG

Thoughts?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jdholbrook View Post
    Playing around with board designs.
    SMD and Through hole on same board.

Top:
    Board1.JPG

Bottom:
    Board2.JPG

Thoughts?
    Nice!!!!

Although with smd components there is a lot of space lost... It can be done much much smaller...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi hi hi....

We are getting pro tuning...

I've made some changes in the Firmware and with the help of an additional tool written in Delphi (Servo Drive Tuner) we can observe the response from the motor...
    What do you think? Maybe we can invent something like an automatic tune button!

Mihai

You also have the firmware, schematic and source code and binary for this new tuning tool!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice!!!!

Although with smd components there is a lot of space lost... It can be done much much smaller...
    With this board you can mix and match.

Working on SMD only board now.

Downloads
    Uploads

jdholbrook, It's great you are doing board layouts! May I suggest you re-do the through hole board so that it makes use of network resistors instead of requiring so many individual resistors? Cutting down on the parts count makes a difference. I love the mixed hole and SMD board!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

jdholbrook, It's great you are doing board layouts! May I suggest you re-do the through hole board so that it makes use of network resistors instead of requiring so many individual resistors? Cutting down on the parts count makes a difference. I love the mixed hole and SMD board!
    I'll take a look at the network resistor but it will be Monday before I can get back on it.
    I also liked the idea of the mixed board.
    I want to build three and set my 6040 up with servo drives.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

New firmware and tuning program!

A new feature has been added to the tuning software to be able to measure PID frequency (how many times per second the PID output is updated).
    After optimization of the firmware I was able to reach 8.3 kHz for PID frequency! pretty good!
    A good guide for tuning your servo (if you reached that point) is located here: A Simple Method for Servo Motor Tuning - National Instruments

The movement is very smooth both on high and low speeds if PID is tuned correctly! What you see there gets at max 12000 mm per minute. 15000 can be reached with a longer axe without increasing acceleration too much. So basically no problem to reach 3000RPM with the motor!

Mihai

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So this is looking really good. I took a glance at the code again today and an idea struck me. I think I'd be interested in taking this and replacing the brushless motor control stuff with regular DC motor code, and doing the same again and making a version with stepper motor output. Basically 3 versions of the same program.
    My mill currently is being built with brushed DC motors. someday I know I'd like to upgrade to brushless. The way I'm building my servo control boards would also lend themselves to this idea, since I have a separate logic board and a driver board connected by just a 3 wires (enable, direction and PWM) A brushless version of my board would have 4 (enable, U,V and W).

I think I may have a go at trying mikropascal again. I'm curious to see how much its changed since version 2(the last time I looked at it).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by punisher454 View Post
    So this is looking really good. I took a glance at the code again today and an idea struck me. I think I'd be interested in taking this and replacing the brushless motor control stuff with regular DC motor code, and doing the same again and making a version with stepper motor output. Basically 3 versions of the same program.
    My mill currently is being built with brushed DC motors. someday I know I'd like to upgrade to brushless. The way I'm building my servo control boards would also lend themselves to this idea, since I have a separate logic board and a driver board connected by just a 3 wires (enable, direction and PWM) A brushless version of my board would have 4 (enable, U,V and W).

I think I may have a go at trying mikropascal again. I'm curious to see how much its changed since version 2(the last time I looked at it).
    Indeed. Adding support for DC motors is very easy in this setup. You will practically use only 2 outputs. Maybe in a future version...

Mihai

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whipped up an SMD variant of the board.
    Power res and IRF are through hole.
    50x100mm
    Forgot the resistor array.

Servo - SMD.jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

very very nice...
    If I could only produce PCB's like this...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DONATION!

Hello everyone!

I am donating a Servo Board as seen in the picture, without the ATMega644 and the IR2101s. It contains all other parts, including radiator.
    It's an older design, it has the power resistor soldered below the board, has a different pinout for the encoder and step dir enable signals.
    The board is functional, was tested and helped during development.

I am asking only for the shipment money.
    I just want whomever takes it to use it, test it and so on...

I'm waiting for requests

Mihai

Downloads
    Uploads

mihai, i just sent you a private message - did u deactivated PMs?

im interested in your board for testing and hopefully serious cnc action, just have to get IR2101s which shouldn't be a problem at all.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
    mihai, i just sent you a private message - did u deactivated PMs?

im interested in your board for testing and hopefully serious cnc action, just have to get IR2101s which shouldn't be a problem at all.
    Hello Chris

Sure thing! I can send the board to you. I will make a package asap. Just send me your delivery address!
    I will ship it with regular mail, to be the cheapest possible!

Best regards

Mihai

PS: I can not send PM to you. The board says you do not have it activated.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast