DIY Servo controller - Page 2

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Servo controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ejkoeze
    Hence the Beerware.
    Here in Europe we pay his expences (postage and packing + price of processor) and we send him a local beer for each processor we buy.
    If you look at http://www.pyromantiker.de/servo/home.htm you can see he allready sold 350 processors so he can get pretty drunk from it.

There is no way he'd get rich from this since he's only asking about $2,50 per Tiny + Postage (Envelope + stamps and nothing more).

Dont forget to thank the guy that made the PCB since I personally think he did a wonderfull job on it. His email can be sent after a PM to me. I believe he doesn't want it out in the open.

Have fun and keep me posted.

Erik Jan

Well, Heck, I don't want to get him too drunk! He might forget to mail out the chips :-)

I am sending you a PM ( I hope, so that I can also thank the fellow that designed the circuit boards etc.)

Thanks for all the help on this Erik!

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Replying to a PM

Hi,

Nice job on your boards!!!

Is the Atmel/CPU code included in the download?

Or does the programmed chip need to be bought from "beer man"?

Thanks

Dennis

Source code is unavailable as I pointed out in my first message. The guy that wrote it is however offering it at cost price.

Erik Jan

What goes down, should come up.

Downloads
    Uploads

HOT DOG! Got my chips today from Uli! Now I have to start ordering up parts and such. Hopefully in a couple of weeks (probably a month or so in reality) I will be test driving the new drives!

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

how do you pay beer man did he come up with a paypal account. also how many chips did you order and how much did it come to just need to know how much it would cost me

Downloads
    Uploads

^^^Same info PLEASE!!

Dennis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations Chris. I hope you have as much success on your side of the pool with it as we have on this side.

Let me know if you run into difficulties. I'll be glad to translate any questions into German for support in www.cncecke.de (Elektronik forum for any of the babelfishers).

Erik Jan

Downloads
    Uploads

As for Cost, it appears as though it will be around $4.00 per chip - I don't know the final price yet, Uli and I are working that out still. (Yes, he sent me the chips without first making payment - so that is the kind of guy you are dealing with!). You are also requested to send him some small gift or surprise - he likes tools and hot sauces and spicy snacks!

He is setup with Paypal so we can now pay him easily from this side of the globe. That's all I got so far, you have to look backwards in this thread to find contact information and such.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations Chris. I hope you have as much success on your side of the pool with it as we have on this side.

Let me know if you run into difficulties. I'll be glad to translate any questions into German for support in www.cncecke.de (Elektronik forum for any of the babelfishers).

Erik Jan

Hi Erik,

I will need help already. I joined that forum last night but am waiting for my password to be mailed to me. I will hopefully be able to use babelfish or something to read the forums there but in the meatime if you could provide me with some information on the parts list.

"METALL" resistors - metal film or oxide - what wattage?

"KERKO" caps - what type are these
    MKS-2 caps - what type are these
    FUNK caps - what type are these
    RAD caps - what type are these
    TANTAL caps - what type are these Tantalum I guess
    BSN caps - what type are these

I spent hours going over the list and layout with my german to english dictionary - didn't get far as these are all technical terms and I don't know enough about electronics to make assumptions.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll look it up tonight for you.
    These are all normal capacitors but they ware the designation used by a large German (www.reichelt.de) mail order company. I'll see if I can find out specifics.
    Tantal are indeed Tantalums.

EJK

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll look it up tonight for you.
    These are all normal capacitors but they ware the designation used by a large German (www.reichelt.de) mail order company. I'll see if I can find out specifics.
    Tantal are indeed Tantalums.

EJK

Thanks Erik!

I plan to work through the whole parts list and substitute that German supplier with a U.S. supplier and their part numbers. There are a couple other fellows helping me with all of this so I hope to get everything correct. This should help the folks here in the U.S. get the parts needed.

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Erik,

By Chance do you know if there is a document showing the parts placement with the placement numbers. There is one document that shows the layout with the component values, but I can't find one showing the component numbers.

I don't know if it is a problem or not, but the 10uF caps, there are 7 of them with two different part numbers. From the layout with the component values, I cannot determine which of the 2 10uF caps go into which of the locations. I think this is the only one that is giving me trouble as the rest seem pretty obvious.

I am also unclear about the notations on the Diodes D7 through D10. There is a comment on the parts list and they appear to be optional but I am not sure what to do there. Can you help?

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't been able to get you any answeres due to sick kids but I do have one important detail.In the pricelist the Gehäuse column gives info on the distance the holes in the pcb have. RM5.08 means the holes are 5.08mm apart.

By Chance do you know if there is a document showing the parts placement with the placement numbers. There is one document that shows the layout with the component values, but I can't find one showing the component numbers.

Id have to look trough my archive for an older one.

Erik Jan

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't been able to get you any answeres due to sick kids but I do have one important detail.In the pricelist the Gehäuse column gives info on the distance the holes in the pcb have. RM5.08 means the holes are 5.08mm apart.

Id have to look trough my archive for an older one.

Erik Jan

Thanks Erik!

Chris

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow;
    What an interesting project. Has anyone received, assembled and successfully ran these systems. I'd be glad to pay good german beer money for a good controller with the power capabilities discussed in this thread. Wow, what possibilities. If the system is a DOS based system, what kind of control softward can be used. I'm using Mach with Geckos right now. But, the posssibilities!!!
    billyjack

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south
    Wow;
    What an interesting project. Has anyone received, assembled and successfully ran these systems. I'd be glad to pay good german beer money for a good controller with the power capabilities discussed in this thread. Wow, what possibilities. If the system is a DOS based system, what kind of control softward can be used. I'm using Mach with Geckos right now. But, the posssibilities!!!
    billyjack
    It is interesting but so far so slow. I don't know enough about electronics to design, validate, verify, or otherwise even purchase the components. I am working with a couple other fellows to get a parts list together that will work with Mouser and Digikey. I already have the circuit board etched and once I have the parts list figured out, will order the parts to put it together.

There are a number of Germans that have built the servo driver based on Uli's chips (the beer man) so I am pretty confident all will be good in the end. I did order my chips from Uli and got those pretty quickly.

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bill south
    Wow;
    billyjack
    The program used to set parameters that was mentioned was DOS. In the mean time a new terminal program was written that allows you to set your parameters from Windows 2K (XP?).

The usual programs like Mach2 can be used to control you machine since this controller accepts step/dir as input signals. Loads of people in Germany and surrounding countries have successfully built controllers with these chips and pcb's. Servo motors as hefty as 1Kw have been hooked up and ran successfully.

Since I don't know how to translate a forum a couple of babalefish translations of fragments:
    Hello together, I finished my tests with the UHU controller more frequently, now is finished and to the machine "Bridgeport interact Series2" controlled by 3 axis servo control. Enclosed a few photo`s during the contruction, is by the way clearly more work than actually expected:

from the front:

Technical details:

2 toroid transformers, each 1150VA, after bridges connected in parnach den Gleichrichtern parallegeschaltet, 125Volt, 18A, 2 Bautz Servomotors, 800Watt (X+Y), An English 1,4KW Motor in Z, all with 500er Encoders, Ballscrews in all axis 5mm pitch 1:2 transmission.
    Controller box 60Kg.
    Runs perfectly with Uli`s controlleri, 110mm/s max, 10% faster than the original (and now discarded) Haidenhain TNC145.
    Limitswitches Joysticks and more has been reinstated, Mach2/3 is gratefull for that
    Gruss, Tom
    Photo of the little one.

@Chris,

I've been scavanging through my archive (have a couple of older versions on HD) and have found the exact version you're looking for. PM me your email adress and I'll mail it to you (have no webspace available)

Erik Jan

Last edited by NeoMoses; 12-18-2005 at 07:31 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have worked through the parts list and added extra info on most (every) part regarding housing, pic if available, tolerances, etc.
    PM me your email adress and I'll mail it for you to host.

Erik Jan

Downloads
    Uploads

I have worked through the parts list and added extra info on most (every) part regarding housing, pic if available, tolerances, etc.
    PM me your email adress and I'll mail it for you to host.

Erik Jan
    Thanks Erik

You should have a PM here, Thanks!

Chris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Windows Terminal program can be downloaded from
    http://www.uhu-servo.de/UHU.zip

You can use this program to set the PID and other parameters. You can also see a graph displaying Servo lag in real time. You can tell the controller it has a position error and see how it reacts to that. In the near future it may be upgraded with a set / dir generator so you can do all the testing and setting up from one program.

Erik Jan

Last edited by ejkoeze; 12-17-2005 at 05:03 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is exciting. I'm an old (really) electronics vet and love to build things like this. Heck, most likely would have to convert my old smithy drill to cnc with this control system.
    One thing I did not see was a source for the PC boards. Are these available. If not, do we have a pc board expert on board to draw upon???? Wine and Cheese galore!!!
    billyjack

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast