MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials

Thread: MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials

What is a MechMate?
    It's an open sourc CNC machine in sizes up to 6' x 20' and 10" to 13" of Z. All the plans and support can be found at http://www.mechmate.com.
    --------------
    When I first started the build of my MechMate, one of the hardest parts wasn't the physical construction - it was the lack of a single, comprehensive bill of materials (BOM). Over the past four months, I have scoured the MechMate forums and other sources to develop the most comprehensive and detailed MechMate BOM to date. It is my hope that this resource will help take down one of the major barriers to building a new MechMate.

A few notes on this BOM:
    • This list was compiled for my personal build of a 49"x97" (working area) MechMate. If you are planning a larger, smaller or custom sized build you will need to make adjustments.
    • All suppliers listed in the BOM are in the US. I hope that non-US MechMate builders will still find the BOM useful as a bolt is a bolt, even if you need to adjust it for metric and/or a different vendor.
    • This BOM should not be downloaded and then followed by rampant ordering. It was intended to be partnered with a complete copy of the MechMate plans and an understanding of the MechMate design. If you can't envision the MechMate 2D drawings as a completed unit, I wouldn't start ordering.
    • I tried my best to consolidate the number of vendors, even if it raised the cost by a few dollars. Three of the vendors on the list don't have on-line ordering, all the remainder do. I've ordered from every vendor in the BOM and have had good success, if you don't, please let me know and I'll try to address it.
    • Included with this BOM is a "time and tools" sheet. As I completed each section of my build, I recorded the time it took me to complete each step and the major tools required. Be aware that these are my build times and the time to complete each step is highly dependent on the skill and tools of the builder.
    • The basic cost of the MechMate is as follows:
      • Table+motors: $4,500 USD
      • Drivers+electronics (less CAD/CAM): $3,000 USD
      • Dust Management: $500 USD
      • The total cost of a complete MechMate without a spindle or vacuum table, is about $8,500 USD. This easily puts the MechMate on par with commercial units in the $15,000 to $20,000 USD range.
    • While I have spent dozens of hours in an effort to ensure this BOM is completely accurate, mistakes and changes will happen.
    • This BOM is intended to be printed on the same 11"x17" (A4) paper as the MechMate drawings.
    Link to the current MechMate BOM in Microsoft Excel (2003 format):
    http://www.dmoore.com/MechMate/bom.xls

Link to the current MechMate BOM in HTML format:
    http://www.dmoore.com/MechMate/bom.mht

Offical MechMate drawings/plans:
    http://www.mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376

Thanks,
    David

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-fronttrans-gif  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks David, that's a really comprehensive BOM.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MechMate BOM - The most comprehensive in the Galaxy!!!

Thanks David!!!

WOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! When you do a BOM - you do it RIGHT!

That's the most comprehensive BOM I've ever seen on anything in the CNCZone Universe!

[url]www.CNC-Joe.com[/url]
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Joe View Post
    Thanks David!!!

WOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! When you do a BOM - you do it RIGHT!

That's the most comprehensive BOM I've ever seen on anything in the CNCZone Universe!
    Thanks for the positive feedback! Now there is no reason not to build a MechMate CNC machine!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The links are dead...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bdahmet View Post
    The links are dead...
    They most likely will stay dead, the guy is now selling "his" version of a MechMate.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default his version?

Quote Originally Posted by lovebugjunkie View Post
    They most likely will stay dead, the guy is now selling "his" version of a MechMate.
    too bad, how about someone putting up the old files that he did have up here so we can all see them. I dont see anybody with a copyright thingy going on. So lets get them back up so we all benefit.
    Back in the day when I wrote software games (yes, only one person did this)I had some published in magazines so that other people could learn to program (basic/assembly) and I had people ask to buy them also so they wouldnt have to do all the hard stuff. It all evens out if you dont get greedy.
    Just my opinion
    (but a good one...Grin)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the original file

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Not quite....

This isn't correct - Any CNC machine I might sell isn't to a customer that is planning their own mechmate build, so publishing the bill of materials doesn't "compete" against any business I may have. In fact I was happy to spend 80+ hours developing and making it available as part of my efforts to give back.

The reason I no longer make it available is because gerald has banned me from participating at his site. As such, it's nearly impossible to continue to keep the BOM up to date with the changes gerald is making to his design.

Additionally, gerald did not like the fact that I was publishing "back door" improvements to the mechmate design. He also felt that it made the process of building his design to easy - someone could just download the plans and the BOM. He feels that it is better that someone spend the time that I did (at least 150 hours in my case) to understand the design and reverse engineer the parts list - and in some ways I agree with him.

So, that is the reason I have chosen not to post my mechmate BOM.

I have requested from the moderators that they completely remove this thread as to not confuse future mechmate builders.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore.com View Post
    This isn't correct .........................

Have a look at these two links and make up your own mind.

http://www.mechmate.com/

http://www.truecnc.com/

Little more needs saying.

EDIT: It seems the link to truecnc (what a misnomer) is redirecting traffic to shopbot. Anyone feeling guilty? Try pasting the link in your browser. Or do a google on truecnc.

Last edited by Greolt; 03-29-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default There isn't anything new

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Have a look at these two links and make up your own mind. ... Little more needs saying.
    You are correct - just as I said in my post, the reason that the BOM is not posted isn't because I sell a CNC machine that would be "hurt" by posting a BOM but for the other reasons I mentioned.

Look at these two links and see who copied who:
    Shopbot Alpha PRT:

Mechmate:

The same motors, drivers, gantry, rack system, rails, bed, y-car, z, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not going to debate with you.

Anybody who takes more than a cursory glance will see you for what you are.

Downloads
    Uploads

This link http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338 in post 19 has the BOM you are looking for plus a word or two of caution.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would prefer that the moderators do not delete this thread. The world needs to know about this slippery David Moore character. (He has also used a couple of other names, but his wordy way of twisting things gives him away).

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I've had a few requests for the MechMate BOM that I've developed. I've spec'ed a 4'x8' unit for these items. This is designed around US measurements and suppliers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-design-specs-pdf   MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-electrical-design-pdf   MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-overall-bill-materials-pdf   MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-steel-costs-pdf  

MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-steel-gantry-cut-list-pdf   MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-steel-stopper-cut-list-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Additional documents

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-steel-table-cut-list-pdf   MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-steel-z-slide-cut-list-pdf   MechMate 4'x8' Comprehensive Bill of Materials-suppliers-contact-list-pdf