Need Help! Theory Crafting Simple Router Build

Thread: Theory Crafting Simple Router Build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Theory Crafting Simple Router Build

Hello all,

I'm in the planning and research phase of building a cnc router.

My goal, albeit unrealistic, is to have a CNC router with a 24" x 24" work area that can perform 2D cuts on plywood and acrylic. I want to engage my 7 year old daughter's creativity and would like to use this machine to make something along the lines of simple bird/doll houses and boxes.

I chose 24" x 24" because I want the ease of walking into a hardware store like HD or Lowes and picking up a 2ft x2ft panel of ply and walk out without needing for further stock breakdown.

I don't have the budget for the usual desktop router offerings, so this will be a 3D printed router.

I have no meaningful hands on experience with CNC routing (I had a bad experience with the MPCNC, not really the machines fault though), so I am just guessing and taking blind stabs.

My current idea is to remix this design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4762598 and swap out the bottom Y axis linear shafts for a supported shafts and extending the X axis the necessary length to achieve 24" of travel.

Do you believe that these changes would allow for simple 2D carving?

If this build volume is really unachievable for something similar to this design, then I'm going to abort and pick up a cheap 3018.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Theory Crafting Simple Router Build

Hi Krame - for the exercise I'd buy the 3018 and if it becomes useful use that to build parts for the next one. Designing a cnc can take quite a bit of time. Better off getting one and fixing its issues then starting from the remix. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Theory Crafting Simple Router Build

Hi,
    I agree with peteeng, Chinese made CNC routers are usually pretty good value, they certainly are cheap. If there is any failing its the electronics they use, they tend to be rubbish and
    are supplied with pirate software more often than not. I would suggest getting such a router but with the understanding that you'll throw the junk electronics away and buy a decent
    US or European made motion controller and software like Mach4, UCCNC or LinuxCNC. These are by no means the only choices but they are widely used and discussed on this forum.

Given that LinuxCNC is free and open source, and can use a parallel port as its motion control output is very attractive pricewise. Is your daughter OK with Linux?

If she prefers Windows that's where Mach4 ($200) and UCCNC ($60) come into the mix. Be aware that the motion control hardware is specific to each software type and the cost
    should really be the combination of the software, motion controller and breakout board/boards.

I for instance use Mach4, and Ethernet SmoothStepper and my own breakout board...and to replicate my set-up will cost about $600, so you need to be aware of the
    potential cost implications of your choice.

The good thing about LinuxCNC, UCCNC and Mach4 is that your daughter will be accumulating skills can use in industry later, any of these software solutions will be recognisable
    to that used on a double column VMC worth 3 million! Some of the lesser software types like GRBL rather less so.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Krame - for the exercise I'd buy the 3018 and if it becomes useful use that to build parts for the next one. Designing a cnc can take quite a bit of time. Better off getting one and fixing its issues then starting from the remix. Peter
    I'm proficient at modifying existing designs but I'm leaning towards the 3018. The initial buy in is so low. The motion components alone cost more than the cheap router.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    I agree with peteeng, Chinese made CNC routers are usually pretty good value, they certainly are cheap. If there is any failing its the electronics they use, they tend to be rubbish and
    are supplied with pirate software more often than not. I would suggest getting such a router but with the understanding that you'll throw the junk electronics away and buy a decent
    US or European made motion controller and software like Mach4, UCCNC or LinuxCNC. These are by no means the only choices but they are widely used and discussed on this forum.

Given that LinuxCNC is free and open source, and can use a parallel port as its motion control output is very attractive pricewise. Is your daughter OK with Linux?

If she prefers Windows that's where Mach4 ($200) and UCCNC ($60) come into the mix. Be aware that the motion control hardware is specific to each software type and the cost
    should really be the combination of the software, motion controller and breakout board/boards.

I for instance use Mach4, and Ethernet SmoothStepper and my own breakout board...and to replicate my set-up will cost about $600, so you need to be aware of the
    potential cost implications of your choice.

The good thing about LinuxCNC, UCCNC and Mach4 is that your daughter will be accumulating skills can use in industry later, any of these software solutions will be recognisable
    to that used on a double column VMC worth 3 million! Some of the lesser software types like GRBL rather less so.

Craig
    These are all really good points!

I'm pretty comfortable with the electronics side. I've been killing 3d printer boards for a while now.