Build Thread Bull's CNC Router

Thread: Bull's CNC Router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bull's CNC Router

Howdy CNC people,

Long time lurker, first time poster. A couple of years ago, I designed and built a CNC machine. During that process, I used this forum extensively for design ideas, troubleshooting, and general sanity checks. I finally got around to putting together documentation of my build, so I thought I’d post it here to help out some other people.

Here is a link to my website with a full description of the build including a CAD model and bill of materials.

TLDR:

• ~2ft x ~4ft x ~5 in build area
    • Xylotex drivers
    • Rollerchain x and y axis with CNCrouterparts bearing trucks
    • Pre-built z axis
    • Aluminum Gantry, Wood Table
    • ~$1500 budget including all major components

She won’t win any beauty contests, but she does what I need her to do.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bull's CNC Router-bullcnctable1-jpg   Bull's CNC Router-bullcnctable2-jpg   Bull's CNC Router-bullcnctable3-jpg   Bull's CNC Router-bullcncsteppermounts-jpg  

Bull's CNC Router-bullcncmockup-jpg   Bull's CNC Router-bullcnccomplete-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bull's CNC Router

Very cool! I love it.

So, in operation, are you getting enough accuracy/repeat-ability for woodworking projects? We're not talking machining precision metal projects here, so even a hundredth of an inch would be more accuracy than one might need, I guess. I'm thinking of either 2 x 8 or 4 x 8, however I worry a bit about the gantry span. Think the extrusion would work across a 4 foot + span? At that point, though I'd have to make it on edge to leave room open in the garage.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for checking it out!

"So, in operation, are you getting enough accuracy/repeat-ability for woodworking projects?

Definitely. Early on, I had some trouble with the bearing trucks pivoting in the extrusion tracks, causing the machine to get out of square. I added a moving knot on to the gantry, and I have been able to produce consistent parts that are accurate to at least a hundredth of an inch, probably better. I'm not completely confident in my measuring ability at such small scales, so I don't want to make any outrageous claims, but for woodworking purposes, I have been able to do everything I need. Also, whenever I make parts to retrofit onto an existing object, I never have trouble with fitment.

"Think the extrusion would work across a 4 foot + span?"

Yes, in order to accommodate a cutting area ~2ft wide, I made the gantry 4 feet long to account for dead space caused by the Z axis carriage, various gears, and other structures. Before making the machine, I did some back of the envelope calculations that gave me confidence that the extrusion would work with the 4 ft span. My gut feeling is that the 3060 extrusion I used should handle a longer span just fine also. The X axis is definitely not the weak point of my machine. I would wager that deflection on the 2x6's that hold up the Y axis and router runout are much bigger sources of error.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, that's good info. I'm still tinkering with a high end desktop unit that I'm still fiddling with, but now that i'm making progress-I can see the possibilities and have the bug...

I wondered just how good the wood framed ones were...