DIY Cable Carrier - Page 5

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Cable Carrier

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys. Hope to attach some to the machine next weekend.
    Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

How to tell if you are addicted to cnc stuff, I have been away from home due to work commitments a lot lately, and today found myself passing time at an airport lounge drawing concepts for my version of a DIY cable chain. Sure beats reading novels to pass the time. Good news is that hopefully my machine will be going soon, just need to sort out the Z axis a bit better (just as soon as I am home for more than five minutes... )

Expect to see the first cuts on the weekend, then its onto making chain !!!

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russel, And All,

Finaly got my cable carrier installed and wired as to the ends breaking off a good point raised i have hinged each end by making the pin where the shim fixes a swivel, or somthing that rotated on its axisis.
    Aha the mess on the table.....well where else am i going to put it!!!!!!

Roger

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Cable Carrier-slim-chain-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work Roger, and its not mess, its experimentation, there is a difference!

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now this isn't by any means finished, but here is what my chain (sides) will look like, I know I will have to put in allowance for the surfaces to move as required, that is to rotate about 30deg in one direction and not in the other. I plan to include this functionality into the side pieces, but haven't yet.

My intention is to make the parts as shown, 10mm thick, with the top pieces simply screwed to the sides as required. My router is now ready to make these parts, but alas I am outta time, other commitments have again reared their nasty head(s) but I will be on the case next weekend.

I started looking for a converter to make a jpg from the DXF, then got lazy and snapped a piccy with the digi-cam and posted that... hehe

Credit for the drawing goes to my 14yr old daughter, I drew it up on paper and she did the rest (in about 5 mins flat!) Who said CNC isn't a family hobby?

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Cable Carrier-chain-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't see how it will rotate unless you leave a gap in the receased arc(make sense?).

Liam

Downloads
    Uploads

Yup spot on, that is the part that isn't finished...

Next is to do that and incorporate its allowable travel.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Love the concept.
    I was thinking a male connector one end and female the other. But your idea means you can route all from one side. What were you thinking of making it out of? High density plastic? (my source is chopping boards)

On printing pictures. Press Alt print Screen this should copy the active window to clipboard. Then run paintbrush and paste. paintbrush can then save it as a jpg. You can crop the image by doing another cut and paste.
    I set the default attributes of paintbrush to 20x20 then when you paste it expands to meet what you are pasting. Quick and dirty but it does me.

Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW, a couple of ideas presented in this thread, one by CNCezee and Al the man were what I made use of in a lathe retrofit. I ran my wire in a piece of flex conduit but because flex conduit might kink off, to provide a backbone I used some 1.5" wide steel pallet strapping. This stuff is heat treated and quite springy so long as you do not bend it over any sharp corners. It took two or three layers of the strapping to make it stiff enough, and I secured the strapping to the flex conduit with cable ties. I anchored one end of the strapping to the machine base to restrict its motion to one plane.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Heres a picture of the cable carrier I bought(flat across radius hits the cross piece so it cant bend backwards). Looks almost identical to your design Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Cable Carrier-cable-jpg  
    Last edited by bigz1; 12-03-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cheers Paul, yeah I was going to use plastic, I have some black plastic sheet (poly?) 10mm thick that I was going to use for the sides and some 3mm thick stuff for the top pieces. It is glossy on one side and sort of matte finished on the other, I was going to have the matte side visible, to look a bit like the "real" thing. Thanks for the heads up on the old print screen, didn't even think of that...

HuFlung, nice idea, does the strapping tend to "eat" the ties or the flex conduit at all ? I am using the conduit minus any kind of backbone, just kinda point it so it sits nicely, its working OK for now, until I can get some time to make some chain.

Bigz, that is almost scary, mine certainly looks similiar, hope no patent lawers pick up this thread... lol. Hopefully I will get some time on the weekend to burn plastic... maybe even get something resembling the CAD drawing...

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now please understand this is the first attempt for the chain. The job was setup with both the spigot and hole on the same side, to make things simpler for now, and to work out feeds and so on. It is cut out of 10mm HDPE sheet.

I think I will go for 2 different pieces for the sides, which means I only need to cut one side and not worry about turning over and cutting again. I also have to clean up the g-code, for some reason the spigot diameter is oversize. I posted this to show I haven't given up on the chain, and I need to get some more router bits as the endmill I used here isn't long enough to cut to depth so it might be a while before you see any more progress.

Any Hoo, here is the guinea pig piece...

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Cable Carrier-test-chain-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks good.

You could buy some upcut or downcut spirals online, not sure of shipping to Australia though.

My Whiteside 1/8" (3.175mm) upcut bit has a 1/2" (12.7mm) depth of cut with a 1/4" shank.

Cost around $14.00 USD from routerbits.com, code #RU1600 (buy at least five)

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going router bit shopping this morning, I can't leave the machine sit idle this weekend, especially as I am only now getting used to how to use it. I have thought of cutting a 1/4 drill bit down, resharpening and using that, hehe I have spent so much money building the silly looking router I can't afford to buy tooling... lol

It's not really that bad, time is the biggest problem really as in I have none. I might get some more next year...

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great.
    Think you may have to import router bits. You can import 3 bits for the local price of one here, think its the same in Aussie.
    Paul

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by paulC View Post
    Looks great.
    Think you may have to import router bits. You can import 3 bits for the local price of one here, think its the same in Aussie.
    Paul
    Yeah, I was thinking something similiar, but in the meantime, here is attempt #1...

There is a glaring mistake in this one, but I was happy with everything else. One spigot is not centred correctly, it is towards the middle of the piece. I think it is a drawing mistake, I will check tonight.

The pieces move nicely, just gotta fix the top and bottom pieces and its finished. Once the spigot is fixed, I will do a production run and make about a 1.5 metre length of finished chain. The pieces are a little fuzzy, I haven't cleaned them up much after machining.

Russell.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Cable Carrier-chain-test1-jpg   DIY Cable Carrier-chain-test-3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My wires guide

My business Web site - USINUM - www.cooptel.qc.ca/~usinum
    My BLOG at Blogger - http://pacosarea.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Litle big...

I like the hose from vacuum cable carrier although the one in the pic would be too big for my machine I do recall VERY flexible hose on my wifes vacuum of a smaller diameter!!! (now how do I distract her and snatch it!) well I will likely have to test with hers and then go buy some from a shop.

Thanks for the idea!

Coog

Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Coog,

2" Shop-Vac hose is probably what you want... and there's the 1-1/4" too. I believe you can get them only without the vacuum.

Good luck!

My business Web site - USINUM - www.cooptel.qc.ca/~usinum
    My BLOG at Blogger - http://pacosarea.blogspot.com/

Downloads
    Uploads

I for one am banned from using the vacuum cleaner, all I did was to use it at work one day to pull a small parachute through an underground conduit, problem was the conduit had been there a while and was full of water, it is surprising just how quick a vacuum can suck water, unfortunately it wasn't one of those wet vac's and never really survived.

Wasn't into CNC at the time either, so the whole lot went into the bin...

Russell.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast