DIY Cable Carrier - Page 3

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Cable Carrier

Downloads
    Uploads

Lol while we are waiting on the verdict on the red/blue quantam physics anomaly, I guess I should get some more duct and see if it will work.

Then I can test the nominal velocity of propagation within the different colour spectrum.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Here's my diy cable carrier. I used 12x20x2mm aluminum U profile and some flexible plastic belt. The aluminum parts are cut to 40mm lenght with 10 degree angle and riveted to the plastic belt. Works like a charm

http://www.eoz.lv/forum/showthread.php?t=3041&page=7

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi jetijs,
    Nice carrier. How well does it resist drooping when the gantry has extended it fully out ?

Russell - how far does the carrier have to extend when fully out ?

John

It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work jetijs.

John, well I guess that would be a bit over half the Y axis travel, say about 400mm.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Russell, but I should also have asked what sort of minimum cross sectional space your going to need for the cable, so I can get a good idea of what the load is going to be pulling the carrier downwards.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Very little, I am only going to have the Z stepper cable, one limit/home switch cable (fig.8 or speaker cable) and the router power cable, lets say the combined thickness will be about the same as your average thumb, a 16 by 25 mm duct would be heaps.

I have some 20mm loom tube that I was going to use initially.

I seem to have hit a wall as far as progress goes on the machine, maybe this weekend will see something happening.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have a good weekend - I'm trying to shift a propshaft off a transit with twenty years of torque tightening the bolts up !
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

all of this is great, but i have to interject that a yellow stripe is definately faster than red or blue... hehehe

and i'm beginning to think that some old shopvac hose will be good enough for my machine, yea itll droop a bit, or maby i'll just leave it droopy in the first place... kinda like the hose in a self car wash, it just hangs from the roof, and droops and follows you around...

Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by project5k View Post
    all of this is great, but i have to interject that a yellow stripe is definately faster than red or blue... hehehe
    Hmm I am seeing a pattern here, maybe blue is faster in the UK, yellow in the USA and red here in Australia, possibly a specific Earth polar coordinate phenomenon ...or possibly I need to catch up on some sleep.

Still got my money on red though hehe

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Seeing immediately the connection between the polar coordinate and the spectral order, I asked my wife which way round the colours went in the rainbow - " It depends which side your'e standing on" - but then she hasn't had much sleep lately, either.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is my go of an energy chain, it runs fine though a bit rough, proberly because i was to busy making it work to makeing fine cuts
    Pictures and links for a video of it in action in my log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23658

Downloads
    Uploads

I know it sometimes more fun to build your own than buy. But found this Cavotec energy chain in in RS components.

RS Stock no. 454-6235

at £12 + VAT its not much more expensive than if I bought some trunking and bolts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice, i plowed through the rs catalogue several times never noticed this, for that price i dont even bother making it myself:-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    I have been pondering cable chains for some time and think I have come up with a workable solution.

A strip of 0.15" steel shim 1.250" wide anchor each leaving a loop and attach the cables with lose woven "Chinese finger and cable ties threaded through holes drilled at regular intervals.

If the weight of your cables is too heavy for the shim to support add more shim strip, with each end permanently anchored and the radius of the bend roughly constant the shims will not slide against each other enough to shear the ties

My Machine www.foundry-fopars.co.uk and navigate to CNC Project.

Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you got any pics of your chain roger ?

I looked on your site at your machine and couldn't see any chain. Nice build btw.

I have seen your site before, loved it, my father was a moulder by trade, and we often talk about making some aluminium rollers for my boat trailer. We visited your site for inspiration quite a few times...

As for buying ready made stuff, unfortunately the "cheap" chain seems to increase exponentially as soon as it travels over a few oceans and lands on my doorstep, I think I will still be making my own.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Russell,

No I have not taken any, to be honest i am waning in enthusiasm at the moment, but your comments will certainly result in a bit more work.

Thanks for the comment on the website.

as to the cable chain, it has evolved slightly, the basic design remains the same using the steel shim strip, but i have made 15 plastic rectangle carrying clips that i will screw to the shim using M2.5mm screws at regular intervals, so watch this space or www.foundry-fopars.co.uk for photographic details.

Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone thought of using metal curtain rails to carry the cable?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Cable Carrier-19_2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, My experance with the metal curtan rails is that they jam just by looking at them.

Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree their are many poor designs. But how about these types inteneded for heavy curtains.

The 3rd photo is very inexpensive at ÂŁ18 for 3m.

http://www.curtainsware.com/id21.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Cable Carrier-copes_fineline_curtain_track_3-jpg   DIY Cable Carrier-ibeamunc-jpg   DIY Cable Carrier-baywindowtrack-jpg  
    Last edited by bigz1; 10-31-2006 at 07:13 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would think with all the kinks being done with all the hangers, it is more places where the cable can get snaged or bend to much in one place unlike the cable cariers, which has a uniform and even curve for the cables not to mention protection from anything snagging it or chance of something falling against the cables...

joe

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast