DIY Cable Carrier - Page 14

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: DIY Cable Carrier

Downloads
    Uploads

Being the manufacturer, we don't have such issues. Where are you, what color and material would you like? Brushed aluminum is the only real finish as the other metal looks are just paint. After seeing your creativity, I was think of stacking 2 together with the wires laid between them. Or use small zip ties to hold the wiring down though your clamps are resourceful.

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Being the manufacturer, we don't have such issues. Where are you, what color and material would you like? Brushed aluminum is the only real finish as the other metal looks are just paint. After seeing your creativity, I was think of stacking 2 together with the wires laid between them. Or use small zip ties to hold the wiring down though your clamps are resourceful.

I think it wouldn't work to stack 2 blinds together. The trick to get it to work properly are the spacers I have under the ties across the cables. If the spacers are to tight the cables bind and dont allow proper movement and if are too loose the cables come out to the sides. The spacers must be just right to hold the cables a bit tight but also allow a bit movement.

I'm in Canada, thanks for the offer but I have enough blinds to last me for ever LOL. I replaced all the blinds when I bought the house and kept all the old ones, but they all are beige and I went to the store to get plain aluminum color; no problem I just use paint remover and they come out pretty good.

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

I wondered about if the cables or if 2 pieces in parallel would need to slide on each other to bend. It would seem like they would need to as one is required to be longer if on the outside of the bend and vice versa for the inside slat. I thought of slots, just hadn't done a physical test. You have got me curious now.

Downloads
    Uploads

I used two layers of scrap vinyl siding and zip ties to make cable carriers for this machine. Virtually no cost. The trays that it lays in is 1/2" steel angle only because it is lower cost than 1/2" aluminum angle. It has given no problems whatsoever since installation a year ago. This is my most often used machine now.

Making chain links is fun (I have made them in the past) but the flexible strip method is fast and can be very low cost.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Cable Carrier-dscn1973-jpg   DIY Cable Carrier-dscn1974-jpg  
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I wondered about if the cables or if 2 pieces in parallel would need to slide on each other to bend. It would seem like they would need to as one is required to be longer if on the outside of the bend and vice versa for the inside slat. I thought of slots, just hadn't done a physical test. You have got me curious now.
    I spent a lot of time making mine to work good, now its your time if you want to make changes to do some tests. Perhaps it will be better but I dont think so. Having two blinds provide no benefit to my opinion plus it will be much more difficult to add / remove cables

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    I used two layers of scrap vinyl siding and zip ties to make cable carriers for this machine. Virtually no cost. The trays that it lays in is 1/2" steel angle only because it is lower cost than 1/2" aluminum angle. It has given no problems whatsoever since installation a year ago. This is my most often used machine now.

Making chain links is fun (I have made them in the past) but the flexible strip method is fast and can be very low cost.
    Didn't see your post before CarveOne. Truly your cable carriers looks good and neat. Good job

Nicolas

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kolias View Post
    Didn't see your post before CarveOne. Truly your cable carriers looks good and neat. Good job
    You posted just before me.

I used two strips of vinyl because one strip didn't have quite enough support. I have lots of the vinyl cut-offs from building my work shop. If I had some aluminum blinds I don't think two layers would be needed. I don't see much sliding of the two vinyl layers relative to each other and doubt that it will be a problem if using two aluminum blinds.

When I added some 12vdc DIY fan coolers to the steppers I just threaded some two conductor speaker wire under the zip ties on the opposite side from the motor and router cables. It all just works and works...

Just thought I would show that there are other alternatives.

CarveOne

Downloads
    Uploads

I am so glad you did show us. I was thinking of using the PVC slat material as opposed to the aluminum. The double layer was just for added protection and is most likely not necessary. I run coolant as much as possible. That and swarf go everywhere. On the other hand my cables have endured a few years of dragging around in the mess with no issues.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by voltsandbolts View Post
    Hello guys, thought I’d post a quick pic of an Echain I’ve been toying with. Still early in the design and I’m not too sure I like the idea of having to machine on both sides of the link sides.
    > >
    Rob.

hello Rob
    bit of a blast from the past,
    but did you ever release the detailed drawings for this?
    I do like the idea of a one part design

cheers
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAWcicckaMA&feature=fvwp&NR=1]DIY Cable Carrier for Homemade CNC Router - YouTube

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a really interesting design in that it has a minimal number of unique parts and it uses no glue in the assembly. I suppose that the slot shapes are set up so that it does not bend backward.

For an update on the vinyl strips I showed in my last posts here, I use this machine for 95% of my work now and the vinyl has worked flawlessly since I installed it. There is no reason to make links other than to make it look prettier.

My 12' machine has a combination of Igus e-chain links and some homemade birch plywood links that I designed to connect directly to the Igus links to make it long enough to go the full 11' 4" travel of the X axis. Although it starts sagging beyond the halfway point of travel from the plastic links flexing, it has not been a problem.

CarveOne

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, chaps! Look what I found in yuotube - a preety good cable carrier, simple to make and without any gluing:
    Here you are my solidworks picture, I made tonight.
    DIY Cable Carrier-caterpiler-jpg

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mikky View Post
    Hello, chaps! Look what I found in yuotube - a preety good cable carrier, simple to make and without any gluing:
    Here you are my solidworks picture, I made tonight.
    DIY Cable Carrier-caterpiler-jpg
    And no snap clips. Really sweet!

Downloads
    Uploads

I just used some 36" zip ties, some cable racetrack from a home center, some slotted shelf standard for brackets and did this:

DIY Cable Carrier-640px-wfa_shapeoko_ziptie_cable-mgmnt_mk-iii-jpg

Full resolution here: File:Wfa shapeoko ziptie cable-mgmnt mk-iii.JPG - ShapeOko

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hello svenakela good job if you want to ask the DXF little thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY Cable Carrier

new design constraints to get the wires when neededDIY Cable Carrier-imag0649-jpgDIY Cable Carrier-imag0648-jpgDIY Cable Carrier-imag0647-jpgDIY Cable Carrier-imag0645-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY Cable Carrier

This is similar to the snake toys

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314