Skate-o-rail (patent!)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skate-o-rail (patent!)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Skate-o-rail (patent!)

Hi All,

I've been lurking and talking onboard bits of various designs, In particular

http://www.terry-is.f2s.com/future/l...g/linearb.html

although I've used the generic design some years previous.

This uses 60 x 8mm and 25 x 10 for the bearing holders, the bearings being 19 x 7 x 6 shielded. You'll probably notice that its in steel, I guess it would work as well in aluminium and be much quicker to machine.

Do you know how long it takes to chain drill that lot? I don't I've a cnc mill lurking in the corner of the barn There's no reason why you couldn't do it with a windy handle mill (manual) if the sole objective is to save money. Well I have to save money I've spent it on a cnc mill

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skate-o-rail (patent!)-skate-o-rail-1-jpg   Skate-o-rail (patent!)-skate-o-rail-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

They look really good, with a cnc machine you can make them in alumn. look pretty easy to produce also.

Downloads
    Uploads

thats a very nice and solid piece, I can't wait to see it assembled

Pablo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I try to adhere to the KISS principle Keep It Simple, Stupid! and as many bits the same as possible. For those skates there's only 3 different bits, yeah OK each bit isn't particularly easy...

The joining rail will be replaced with an ali upright when in action and maybe the sides also if I find some suitable ali, I'm not so sure about replacing the bearing holders with ali as I think there's a chance they could crack depite only being 34mm long, the weak point is where the bolt goes through.

I think the full assembly is a few months away yet but when anything significant happpens I'll post some pictures.

Thanks for the interest peu

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been lurking here awhile myself and reading and reading and reading...

When I opened that first pic I literally said "wow." That looks like something I could put my confidence in. Are you planning to make the specs available or manufacture yourself for sale? Either way an excellent job and something I'll keep tabs on.

edit: spelling

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice move --integrating the bearings/car and toothed belt drive (in the cad). Will the final bits be belt driven too?
    Jim

Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi repairmanski,

Well I guess I could make them for sale though then I don't think that they'd be any cheaper than IKO and the like, maybe if I jigged up proper and stacked a set at a time...

I'll post a dxf & dwg in the next few days - If you've the equipment to make them I've no problem with you doing that for personal use

and yes, Highseas, it will use elastic bands for motion, oops sorry,engineering talk only I mean synchronous belts, though I'm still designing the gearing as a direct drive will give in exces of 200m/min and its not likely to have much grunt, oops there I go again, I mean power.

I'm working on a 1250mm work area, but it might grow if I have enough metal

ahm back to the drawing board...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok,

I've had a bit of time to spare & cleaned up the dwg file and made a dxf so if you're any good at chain drilling and using a file... take a look

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

I opened the drawing file and when i rotate the view -90 degree's (the one in the middle which shows the profile of the 3 bearings on the pipe) there does not seem to be enought room for a suported rail? I think if you changed the bearing contact points to 12:00, 4:00 and 8:00 for example this will allow for the weight of the gantry to ride at the 12:00 point and the other two to stop any lateral movement, and the bolting plate for the gantry will be in a horizontal possision.

Hope this makes sense.

Joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really like this design, much like the design on Dave's site buildyouridea.com. But the one on his site provides for adjustement on the bearings. I think that idea could be incorporated easily enough with this design. I love this design, seeing how you just need a CNC mill, and not a foundry setup. I think this will definetly be the ticket for my CNC router. Great job!

Edit: Also, would their be any disadvantage to 3 sets of bearings? Too much friction? I would think that three adjustable sets would be extremely ridgid! I concur with Joe though, I will have to switch it so the weight rides at 12 o'clock, and I'll have to have a supported rail. My gantry will be all steel and weigh quite a bit!

Last edited by WilliamD; 06-16-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default eccentric bushings for skate bearings

Nice setup.

Does anybody know if eccentric bushings exist for skate bearings?
    and where to buy them ? :-)

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Joe200che, The design is, um, designed to be used in the plain shown, that is with the support at the side. There is enough room drawn for a max 12mm wide support, but that's with no clearance! I plan on using 10mm dia pillars as found necessary.

Skate-o-rail is supported sideways so that it can have a cover over it as shown in the drawing cross-section.

Of course you're free to hash it about for your purpose as you see fit...

WilliamD; Skate-o-rail does has means of adjustment, the bottom 2 bearing mounting holes are slotted and in this design it will accomodate either 1 inch or 25mm bar/tube.

I guess you could use 3 sets each side but I really don't think its necessary, The sensible thing is to keep weight on the gantry to a minimum as "porky" gantrys will cause problems cutting sharp corners and excess strain on the drive train.

Good feedback - carry on

Downloads
    Uploads

If you've the equipment to make them I've no problem with you doing that for personal use

la_coterie,
    Sice you had already given permission to use your design for personal use I thought you or others might find the assembly drawn in solids useful.

It is in .stp format, If any one need it in another format for loading let me know.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi ken_Shea,

I'd like to see that, can you do anything that I can see in autocad please

Downloads
    Uploads

la_coterie,
    I can export to the following additional formats, any of these importable by AutoCad ?
    .xfa
    .3dm
    .igs
    .stl
    .sat

Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

.sat

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yup, it appears it will be happy with .sat files
    cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Here ya go.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads