NEW 2X2 gantry build

Thread: NEW 2X2 gantry build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default NEW 2X2 gantry build

here's my new build. cut area is 26" x 26" x 4.5". I used the Xylotex stepper and driver system. I'm using Mach 3 to run it.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEW 2X2 gantry build-p1030864-1024x768-jpg   NEW 2X2 gantry build-pic_0429-832x624-2-jpg   NEW 2X2 gantry build-pic_0433-832x624-2-jpg   NEW 2X2 gantry build-p1030861-jpg  

NEW 2X2 gantry build-p1030982-jpg   NEW 2X2 gantry build-pic_0430-832x624-2-jpg   NEW 2X2 gantry build-pic_0451-832x624-jpg   NEW 2X2 gantry build-p1030860-1024x768-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

clembrant, very nice job, congratulations.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the design. Looks like you used some 8020? I have some curiosities.
    What type of accuracy and resolution are you getting from your design?
    Did you buy the "Y" uprights pre-made? If not what was your design reason for the "swept" design vs just a piece of rectangular stock? Weight? Balance? Other? If weight what is the reduction? If balance how did you calculate? I know that many designs are similar but I'm trying to understand the reason.

Do you have plans?

What type of spindle and speeds and control?

Stepper motor sizes? Screws and bearings and sources?

Thanks

Gordon

Downloads
    Uploads

The swept back design of the uprights is common on CNC routers. it is a way to reduce overall table size while maintaining full motion. If the sides were just veritcal the furthest back the x-axis could be place would be above the rear linear bearing, forcing the spindle further forward. So to maintain full table use the cutting surface would have to be longer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gordon, I designed this router to make it into a kit. I used as much 8020 as the design would allow. The sides I made. The thought behind offsetting the sides was to center the router on the bearings to maximize table travel, and also try to offset the weight. No calculation was done but I'm sure a center of gravity could found. I designed this on Solid Works and will try to post some plans. As far as accuracy I've done some test parts and it seems to be within .002. The steppers and drivers came from Xylotex. The controller software is Mach3. Most of the other parts were found on Ebay. Here are some pics of a couple of test parts.NEW 2X2 gantry build-p1030993-jpgNEW 2X2 gantry build-p1030993-jpgNEW 2X2 gantry build-p1040003-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NEW 2X2 gantry build

Here is a parasolid model of the router.https://grabcad.com/library/table-top-cnc-router-1

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice machine.

I like the clean simple layout of the components.

Quote Originally Posted by clembrant View Post
    Gordon, I designed this router to make it into a kit. I used as much 8020 as the design would allow. The sides I made. The thought behind offsetting the sides was to center the router on the bearings to maximize table travel, and also try to offset the weight. No calculation was done but I'm sure a center of gravity could found. I designed this on Solid Works and will try to post some plans. As far as accuracy I've done some test parts and it seems to be within .002. The steppers and drivers came from Xylotex. The controller software is Mach3. Most of the other parts were found on Ebay. Here are some pics of a couple of test parts.NEW 2X2 gantry build-p1030993-jpgNEW 2X2 gantry build-p1030993-jpgNEW 2X2 gantry build-p1040003-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job. Simple and effective. I like what you did having the lower X-axis linear bearing on the rear side.