Building my first CNC machine - Shapeoko - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building my first CNC machine - Shapeoko

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building my first CNC machine - Shapeoko

I think I will be going with smaller nema 23 steppers on the X and Y. One of the recommended steppers is this guy.
    Phidgets Inc. - 3308_0 - 57BYGHM201 NEMA-23 Bipolar 50mm Stepper
    Those specs don't look right. It shows 14mH inductance with 24volt recommended voltage. Normally you would calculate the voltage as 32 times the square root of the inductance. So, 32*SQRT(14) = 119.733 volts. I'm running my 2.8mH stepper at 48volt. I could go to 53.5. My steppers barely get warm.

Also, here is a good article about .9 vs 1.8 degree steppers.

https://www.linengineering.com/resou...on-0-9-vs-1-8/

I don't quite have down the computer to step drive system yet. Is there a good place to read about all the current ways to do this? The parallel port kind of makes sense to me because in a way a CNC machine works like a printer. The G540 is just a prepackaged setup of G250 digital step drivers right? Is the rest just a case and a DB25 breakout that is pre wired? If so does that mean I could use any of their digital step drives and my own db25 or other way of sending signal to them? I think I just need someone to confirm that I am on the right track as I think I am starting to get it.
    The G540 is like having all of your drives and BOB (Break Out Board) all in one unit. It will make the wiring easier and cleaner. Visit the Gecko site https://www.geckodrive.com/g540-4-ax...per-drive.html and search this site for "G540"

I guess my last question is if there is any reason to wait for mach 4 to come out as it seems that mach 3 is near the end of its life.
    I use LinuxCNC. It's free and works great.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Building my first CNC machine - Shapeoko

Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    Those specs don't look right. It shows 14mH inductance with 24volt recommended voltage. Normally you would calculate the voltage as 32 times the square root of the inductance. So, 32*SQRT(14) = 119.733 volts. I'm running my 2.8mH stepper at 48volt. I could go to 53.5. My steppers barely get warm.
    Spec sheet also shows the max speed at the recommended voltage is only 300 RPM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12