Precaution when updating OnecncXP

Thread: Precaution when updating OnecncXP

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Precaution when updating OnecncXP

I was having some issues with OnecncXP shutting down unexpectedly, and I thought it was some kind of corruption of my xfa file, however, the exact same file would run ok on another computer. Even the same troubled file would suddenly begin working a couple of days later on the original computer where it was made!

It turned out that I had patched the last release of OnecncXP over top of my earlier first installation, and this seemed to cause a registry glitch that was duplicating the file locations. I think this was causing the crash.

You can check the status of your Onecnc registry settings by running regedit, looking under HKEY_CURRENT_USER | SOFTWARE | OneCNC-XP Software | C: (or other drive) | ONECNC~1

If you see two instances of ONECNC-XP below or after the drive letter, you may experience this problem.

Solution: uninstall completely, check through and remove the Onecnc-XP keys from the registry and re-install. Also, before you do anything, back up your customized *.bin files and posts from the settings folder, and also your personal subfolder (if other than default) under the user folder.

Similar Threads:
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

It turned out that this was not the solution to my problem, however, I think I may have stumbled across something else that, in my case, seems to be the solution, at least for now.

It could even be my fault

I've been changing my post setup quite a bit, as I learn how to make it better. The Onecnc shutdown problem seems to be related to opening a previous (older) xfa file, and in my case, the settings for things like my drill cycles have changed due to my editing of my post. The drill cycles area is one area of your post that does overlap into the tool wizard, because the relevant parameters, as you know, have to be inquired about when you are setting up a drilling cycle (as an example) .

It is my theory that changing my post causes a corruption of the ncGlobal_inch.bin file when an older file is opened when my post was different than it is now. Theoretically, this could potentially be a problem if you switch between various machine posts, especially if the posts are quite radically different from each other.

Anyways, the solution for me is to delete the ncGlobal_inch.bin file and this lets Onecnc start making a fresh new copy. This file holds copies of your previous selected tool/material settings, and is there basically for your convenience. Deleting it does not destroy your inch or metric tool library.

If I err in my theory, corrections can be posted as necessary. I will not be offended

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)