Xyz, Z-z, Xz Help

Thread: Xyz, Z-z, Xz Help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Xyz, Z-z, Xz Help

I know that if I want say a cylinder along the X axis I have to select the y-z plane and if I want a cylinder along the Y axis I have to select the X-Z plane but I cannot mesh this idea mentally as it seems backwards to me.

What am I not visualizing here?

Thanks
    Ken (Shea)

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you visualizing the side view of the cylinder or the end view? The end view is the one that is used to define the arc, and the cylinder axis must needs be perpendicular to it, so the selection process is nailing down the direction of the cylinder axis, which will always be perpendicular to the plane that is being described.

Any help?

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Drawing plane

Ken,
    Bear with me for a moment, as I try to explain.
    If you look at the drawing attached you will see that the different "planes" are highlighted. Normal is highlighted on top of the cube. And if you were to construct a cylinder in the "normal x-y" plane, it would start at say x0,y0z0 and extend up or down from there,(depending on your height value was pos or neg).

Keep this picture in your head.

So you could say that the x-y plane is a blanket that cover the x and y axis, but has no value in z. Does that make sense?

Now look at the drawing at x-z plane, the front of the cube is highlighted. So if you were to construct a cylinder in this plane it would start at say x0,y0,z0 and extend y plus or y negative (towards you or away from you).

So you could say that x-z plane is a blanket that covers x axis and z axis with no value in y.

Now I' m confused.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xyz, Z-z, Xz Help-tn_screenshot13-jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry HU, you post faster than I do!

Downloads
    Uploads

Let's see who he says cleared the issue up for him

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Downloads
    Uploads

YOU stir the water and I'll added the MUD.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I am going to make another pot of coffee!!, I need the caffeine to make me think straight and give the picture time to load, moving very slow today.

Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

Hu once again you have Flung Dung
    (just kidding of course, could not pass the opportunity up
    The picture explanation was what really cleared it up to me, thanks Ward, thanks to you too Hu you both have been a big help.

Ken.

Downloads
    Uploads

That makes the score:

WMS: 1
    Hu: 500,510

Hooray for me!

Downloads
    Uploads

In my book it is Hooray for both of you, I have read some of you two (and others) post and all I could do was chuckle you guys are so far ahead of me. I am making progress thanks to cncZone and a some super helpful members.

Ken(shea)
    As soon as I figure out how I am going to change my user name to kenflungdung

Downloads
    Uploads

Ken, Ya but you probably have a REAL life.

And I dare you on the name thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Come on Ward who do you know that is self-employed that has a "Real Life", go-ahead name one!!

I have had second thoughts on the name thing!

OK, back to what this site is about.
    Have you (or others) heard any thing on the xp manual publication and do you know if they are essentially going to be the same as the built in help files?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Manual

Ken,
    I have'nt heard a word, but I'll ask next time I talk to Mike let ya know. You have to admit that it's got a great online help manual though. But a manual would make great bedtime reading.