Cut to clipboard problem

Thread: Cut to clipboard problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cut to clipboard problem

I was using copy to clipboard and moving entities to a new file, to isolate portions of a job, since the files were opening slowly. Later I would delete the entity from the original file. Then I tried "cut to clipboard" and opening a new file and pasting. The new file is o.k., but the old file cannot be re-opened. The file "contains bad entities that have been removed", and will not open. During housekeeping, I corrupted three separate files this way before realizing what I had done. The original files, representing several days effort, are unusable. ****.
    Is there any way to force the file to open? 20-31MB file size.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry to hear about that Keith. How much system memory did your machine have? To handle file chunks that big, I suspect you'd need quite a bit of free memory. I've never been cautioned about "the limits" but it would sure be a good thing to know.

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I found an earlier version of the same file in another folder, so I didn't have to start from scratch. The file size was about 3MB. I made one solid operation using "difference" and the resulting file for the one entity was 26MB. I was very careful to avoid the "cut to clipboard". Saved and exited the program. Rebooted, opened the program, tried to open the same 26MB file to continue and the system just churned without opening the file. Used up the limit of my 256MB memory and a 1.5GB swap file. After about 8 minutes, a message that I am out of hard drive space and need to clean up. Which I already did. Would like to know where I should be looking to fix the problem. As long as I keep a file open, I can keep working on it well past the point I got to when I closed. Using the file isn't a problem once it's open, but I can't open anything much more than a 7.5MB file, and that takes a few minutes. I have duplicated the files so I can open them when they're small and exit without saving. This is the first problem I've had with the program. Does it have anything to do with openGL?

Downloads
    Uploads

Whew, I'm glad you found a backup file!

I'm no XPert but what I would look at is to examine the two solids you are trying to subtract from one another and see if there are any logical reasons why the operation would fail. From past experience with other older cad programs, whenever I got such a "Hu Jass" increase in file size, I knew I had done something illegal, and it was necessary to edit entities or surfaces so they could trim correctly, or try the operation with a modified approach to my original method.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I checked all of the line segments for overlap or lurking hidden lines and found none. I don't think I'm doing anything "illegal" per se, but I can rarely achieve a "watertight" solid when using elipses. Unfortunately, the designer on this project loves elipses.

As I tried to inform support, I cannot offset elipse or use mill profile with elipse unless I use specific numbers of arcs in the elipse chain. Still waiting for a response on that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you downloaded the latest version, Keith? I sketched a few ellipses and didn't have any grief, but I think I am running a version that was released this week.

Check your private messages.

What kind of ellipse parameters would I use to see the problems you are seeing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Keith,
    I don't think 256mb is enough memory.
    I moved up to 768mb and thing hum right along.

It probably will run as you say but I think this may be some of your problems.

What operating system are you using? xp or win 98?
    Are you using MILL2000 or XP?

I have never run into the problems you are having.
    Are you running other programs when you have the problems?