New Onecnc user!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Onecnc user!!

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I actually got a program to run, I do have the full version(4.5) of Onecnc.
    Had a friend help with the drawing part, since that is what he does for a living. Got the file save properly, thanks guys!
    Now, when I go to test run the program, I see that Z goes in the correct direction, but X is backwards. Thought I knew the problem with that, but when I move the X axis in manual mode, it moves in the right direction. Where did I go wrong there? In other words, X is cutting in the - and rapid in + if that makes any sence.
    Thanks again for the help,
    Smitty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty,

Tell us more about your machine. Is it a lathe or a verical machining center. Sounds like your problem could be in the machine post configuration. Easily fixed with a little help from your friends here.

Ken

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, here goes!
    I have both a Sherline Mill and Lathe. I have the lathe CAD/CAM program. I use Turbocnc as my machining program, and so far has worked out well.
    I have been machining Titanium on these 2 machines for about 3 years now, for the size of my parts, they work great! When I program by longhand, all works fine, but when using the CAD/CAM, all goes to heck!
    So, onto my problem...
    When I bring my tool into the material and set zero, I then back it off .100 for clearance.
    Then I start the program, and all it will do is cut air. So I changed the .1 down to .010. Got closer, but still lots of AIR chips.
    What have I missed, I know there is something in the CAD/CAM program, but unable to figure it out as of yet.
    IF anybody is interested, I can send you the file along with a picture of what I am trying to make. Mind you, I that I made these manually before.
    Thanks again,
    Smitty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have the lathe program, but I'm certain Hu, or WMS can help out. I'm sure it's simple to fix and you just need a little practice and more familiarity with onecnc. We all learn a lot by doing.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help anyways,
    I was just poking around in the NC post settings, and I found that in the movements section, that X=Z and Z=X???? So I have swapped those to X=X and Z=Z and see what happens!
    Smitty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Emily Latella

Didn't see that you have the lathe program. Nevermind

Last edited by keithorr; 08-02-2003 at 03:52 PM.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the lathe program version 4.5
    Now for a dumb question, where can I find the CAM wizard? God I hate to ask that one, but I just can't seem to locate it! Is that located within the NC CAM, or is that the pop up when you pick NC CAM?
    I am using Turbocnc as my CNC controller, and I am sure that I need a new NC post, but very unsure as what to modify.
    Anybody here using Onecnc and Turbocnc? Should I get another CNC program like MACH 1/2.
    Thanks for all the help, THe learning curve is HUGE!!!!
    Smitty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it is under NC Cam then you pick an operation and the cam wizard pops up and guides you through the set up and such

Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty,

You will have to remember most of us use the mill products, not the lathe. So the lathe stuff will be a little foreign to the mill guys, but we will get you fixed up. So bear with us as we all learn about the lathe product.

As far as the nc post, you should change the x and y moves back to (this is the default setting):

X move = Z
    Y move = X
    Z move = (blank)

This converts the "screen" axis to these values. So the x moves on the screen will actually be z moves to a lathe.
    And the y moves are actually x moves to a lathe.

Now we need to know how your controler handles G code, if it uses g code. Does it accept G2's and G3's?

What config file are you using? I would start with the default lathe. Then if we need to we can "tweek" it to your controler.

If you could post one of your drawing here as an attachment, one you are having trouble with, then we could take a look at it and see how to get you up and running.

Also the Cam wizards in the lathe product are quite different than the mill product.

Under "Nc Cam" , you will find options for different operations, IE: cut chain, turn + face (both rough / finish), groove (rough / finish), threading ( internal / external), ect....

After you select an cutting operation, a tool box will open up, and you make a tool selection, (from the list or you can edit the tools to something other the the stock tool). The edit section is also where you set up your tool change code, if need be.

After selecting a tool, the next box will be the "Boundary selection", this is where you tell the program what type of boundary you want to use. Or if you want to cut a contour. And set up your clearances.

Then after selecting the boundary type, a box will open where you set up your depths of cut and direction of cuts and finish allowance.

Then you select the chain you want to machine and the code is generated.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Couple of things, Smitty,

Do not swap X and Z. Your problem with X values being reversed simply means that your drawing is on screen in the wrong quadrant. A lot of cnc lathes are designed with the toolpost approaching the work from the back side, and for these, you can position your drawing on screen in what I would call the "natural" position.

For cnc lathes that have the toolpost on the front (like a conventional manual lathe), you still have to draw your toolpaths in the Z- X+ quadrant on screen, which is the mirror image of where it is on the lathe. It is a simple mental transition that I make all the time, but for a newbie, it can be confusing to do the flip in your mind. The other way is to reverse all your X axis parameters on your lathe, if you insist in drawing on screen in the Z- X- quadrant.

Note: for lathe, the onscreen axis are renamed: the conventional X horizontal axis is now your lathe Z axis, and the screen's vertical Y axis is your lathe's X axis. That's just the way we like it so not everybody can run cnc lathes due to the confusion we create

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

HFD,
    Drawing the part in the wrong Quadrant makes alot of sence. I will play with it once I get off of work, you know these Fords need lots of work!!
    Thanks again,m
    Smitty

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well,
    I made another drawing of my part in Z- X+, and when I go to simulate the cut, I get a No material to cut, so made another one in Z- X- same thing.
    Where oh where is the light!!
    The only part that seems to work on Onecnc is the one that is drawn in Z+ X+
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty, I don't have my dongle at home (where I am right now), but I'm not understanding what your problem is.

Is it just that you cannot get the simulation to run? Are you defining the simulation area in the same bounds as your drawing actually lies within?

Without you posting a pic of your part, I am not sure of how you are orienting everything. You should draw the end face of the part right on the X (the vertical) axis where Z0 begins. Then, the rest of the part is drawn in Z-, X+. The chuck would be considered to be placed at the left side of the screen, facing right.

Last edited by HuFlungDung; 08-02-2003 at 11:07 PM.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very frustrating!
    If I only knew how to post a picture of the part I am trying to make. It is a very simple part, but harder than I thought to make with CNC.
    I will try and get a picture up loaded here, and you can see what I have got going
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a nice shareware program I use for taking screen shots. It is called 5 clicks, and makes nice compact png or jpeg files, that are great for posting.

It will work for you for 30 days before registration, so try it out. Its much more convenient than "print screen" into Paint, which makes huge bitmaps

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 5 click is a gas

Here is the link to 5 clicks.

http://www.screen-capture.net/spider/SpiderReg.asp

Thanks Hu, this is a good program.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default There's a freeware proggie called..

IrfanView

It's very quick and extremely powerful. Does slide shows and all kinds of things. Including screen capture.

http://www.irfanview.com/

'Rekd

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloaded that Click5, works pretty slick!
    Spent some time with HFD last night, thank you very much.
    I guess this is just a little over my head, 'cause still making air chips. Sorry to waste your time HFD, but I am not doing something right. I will play with it later today, frustration is getting a little high, time for a break!
    Thanks again HFD, you are a true asset to this group!
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Smitty,

If you could get a file posted here or a picture then we would have a better idea of how to help.

Sounds like you and Hu have hooked up, so maybe you have sent him a file, if so he will, I'm sure, get you up to speed.

Don't get discouraged, all new things take a little time to get a hold of. Plenty of help here. Lots of good people to light the way.
    You are no different than anybody else, we all went thru a "learning" curve.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just keep at it Smitty, it will click pretty soon, there is just something that you don't know that I can't seem to pick up on just yet. The software is simple to use, but you do need some general understanding of how programs are written for any cnc lathe.

Were you able to get any results similar to the screenshots I sent to you?

If you are cutting air, where and why? Do you even have a method of defining the work's reference position on your machine? I assume you home the machine on startup, or do you just set all coordinates to zero, wherever the toolpost happens to be?

It is common to define the tool position relative to the workpiece end face with a G92 command. The distance from the lathe centerline is also defined in this command. Suppose your toolpost is Z2.25 to the right and X5. from the centerline. Define this position near the beginning of your program:
    G92 X5. Z2.25

This does not cause any kind of machine movement, it merely defines the work coordinate system from which all the rest of your nc code will be referenced. After this, then a command:
    G00 X.5 Z.1 will move your tool to the 1/2" diameter position, and .1" from the end of the work stock.

Of course you need to set tool offsets for this tool as well, which will be used to make small adjustments to your tool position, in the likely event that your G92 definition is slightly inaccurate. The tool offset must be called, however your controller is set up to handle it.

I presume by now that you do have some kind of toolpath going on. Once you have created your roughing toolpath, you can backplot the code to get a "hard copy" of the toolpath drawn on screen. Save it on layer named "backplot". Then email your file to me, or you can zip it and post it here for anyone with Onecnc lathe to download and look at.

At times like this, I look forward to the Lathe XP series when it comes out, because it will be so much easier to show you how to set up the process in the nc manager. However, we will make do for now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast