Too Good To Be True?

Thread: Too Good To Be True?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Too Good To Be True?

After dealing with BobCad 18, I started looking around for a better programming software that would work and not break my bank account to own. Mike at OneCnc sent me the demo package for the 2000 series software. I admit after trying out the demos and tutorials it seems to do what I want. I guess I still have that feeling like is this too good to be true. I don't want to purchase the software and find out later that there is problems that they can't fix. Been there.

We design and build die casting trim dies along with progressive stamping dies. needless to say we may not need to have the Xp's mold working ability. We also do production machining. After talking with Mike I think the 2000 series is what I need.

Presently I use BobCad 17 for all of my machines including my wedms. I also have Surfcam 7 which I have played around with but dislike the way GUI is. I've given some thought to looking at a new version of Surfcam also. (Big dollars)

I think Mike at Onecnc gave up on me because I've been dragging my feet on this but I don't like to get burned twice.

I'm interested in what other people who have used this software for other types of machining other than mold work have to say.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Be prepaired you have just entered the CNCzone, you have some of the best guy's on the net to give you all the info you need. Now where is Hu?? I'm sure he will be on the way.

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Boss

I run a general machine shop, and do only a few molds. As a matter of fact, I was using Bobcad18 when an interesting project came my way that I could not get anywhere with. Mill2000 Professional is what I started on, and it did an excellent job, as you say, of molds. For me, it was just too good to be true.

The fact that even the older Mill2000 will import solids from other programs is worth a lot. If you or your engineers can already produce drawings in solid form, then by all means make use of what is available in automatic toolpathing in Onecnc.

All the traditional options for 2d type pathing are in there, too, just like you are used to with Bobcad. And the rendering and gcode simulation is highly accurate and reliable.

What else can I say: everything works like it should in Onecnc.

I suppose you've already read my hype about the NC manager in the newer Onecnc Mill Professional XP. Believe me when I tell you that you cannot even imagine how useful this feature is. I took a while to catch on to this, being a former Bobcadder myself, I never dreamed such a thing existed.

The essence of 2d work is a lot of tools to manipulate.
    I still do a lot of 2d type work, and the NC manager actually shines far more for this, IMO, than a 2 tool program for a mold.
    With a properly set up post, I do no nc-code editing. Yet, I do record plenty of changes and optimizations to my nc programs via the nc manager. You don't need to waste your time redrawing toolpaths, or "letting a poor program run" on the shop floor because its too much trouble to edit it.

The NC manager is worth the difference in price.

An added benefit of the XP series, is that you can very easily send in any file you have problems with, and get help with it. You see, the processes that you are going to use to machine, are stored as part of the drawing (the nc manager function), not as nc code, but as CAM info that is transferable. Say you have a problem with some machining process, it can be difficult to explain over the phone, but tech support can see all your processes, and create new ones, or edit yours and send the file back to you.

Whatever package you choose, I fully believe your only sorrow will be that you waited this long to find Onecnc

First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default It's all True!

Boss1,

It's all true.
    Everything Onecnc has told you is true.

Mill 2000 (and now just updated Mill2003/2004) is a
    very rock solid program, with tons of easy to use features. Which I'm sure you have found out just playing with the demo.

I started with Mill 2000 professional and now have updated to Xp series Expert.

The mill 2000 series has plenty of great features and the code generated is gouge free.

The newest Xp series is even better, lot's of user features.
    Take some time and look through the Onecnc forum and see what other user have to say.

Support from Onecnc is top notch! And they listen to their user and add features that user feel will be benificial. About the best bunch of people you'll ever run across.

I use my software to machine just about anything you can think of. From Airplane parts to medical components. And every thing in between.

And as you probably found out the user interface is well layed out and easy to use. A very smooth transition from your current software.

If you have any questions, just let use know. And welcome to the forum.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Boss1,

I have to echo what Hu said about "the nc manager is worth the price difference".

Add in the new Multi-logic toolpaths, advanced filleting and toolpath preview,that come with the Xp series and to me "It's a no brianer". And the price difference from Mill2000 to Xp pro is not a very big leap.

But you can't go wrong with either series of Onecnc, at any level.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Boss 1,

You will find that if you purchase ONECNC you will be making money instead of creating toolpaths. It takes a while to trust a program that is all generated by the cam wizard, but believe me it won't be long before you are posting your program and taking it to the machine and pushing start without any doubt that it will work as you expected. As far as 3D goes I would at least get Mill Proffessional 2000. I use the 3d features a lot to create fixtures to hold parts with compound angles and you can do that with 3d machining rather simply in OneCnc. You don't have to be making molds to use 3d machining. I make aircraft parts also and these 3d features make doing some of the work much easier.

Ken

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally posted by HuFlungDung
    Hi Boss

, I do no nc-code editing. Yet, I do record plenty of changes and optimizations to my nc programs via the nc manager. You don't need to waste your time redrawing toolpaths, or "letting a poor program run" on the shop floor because its too much trouble to edit it.

I use the 2000MillPro and it does the trick for me. I am curious about the specifics of the NC manager as you describe it. Could you please elaborate with an example of changes and optimizations?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Keith,

Got your wallet handy? Prepare to be sold!

You made me go back and fire up the Mill2000 so I could see what the interface looked like.

Oh yeah, now I remember: the main diff is that in Mill 2000, you construct your entire program in the NC editor window, one process at a time. So, there is no easy way to isolate one machining process in the middle of your program, should you decide you want to change some parameters about it. You'll be busy cutting and pasting, carefully

So to parallel what you are doing now, but in the new NC manager, when you create a machining process, you go through pretty well all the same functions as you experience right now, where you set up your tool, and select a set of roughing or finishing parameters. Then the toolpath is created. However, the programs diverge at this stage, because in Mill2000, you get NC code output immediately into the editor, whether you're ready for it or not.

In the NC manager, a folder tree is created, and the process you just set up is stored there, but no nc code is output at this stage. It is all ready to post whenever you command it to happen, and it could post to any number of different machines, because the process information is relatively independent of the post you will use.

So an example? Today, I was machining a profile around a cast rubber mold and drilling some large holes in the mold face. This is a pretty crude part, because of shrinkage when it comes out of the molding process, plus the molders try to compensate for the shrinkage by pouring a little extra on two sides. Its a nightmare to set up because its soft, and there are no features I can dial on to locate the holes, or the profile. Abstract machining, I hate it

So, I set up the original program (a week before) ,assuming that I would have good reference points, in this order:

rough profile
    finish profile
    drill 3/4" holes in face.

After machining one, I was not happy, the centering of my profile was not very good. However, if the hole pattern was correct, the profile would also be correct.

Then I took the idea of drilling a sub-sized hole pattern first, to get a visual reference for the proper placement of all the machined features, relative to the molded features.

So, I went back and created one more process, drilling a 1/2" hole pattern in the face this time, then I would stop the machine and look at the hole pattern and see if the centering looked okay. If not, make adjustments and continue. The 3/4 inch tool now cleans out the 1/2" holes, even if I have re-adjusted my home position to improve the overall centering.

So, I created one new process and then I dragged my existing processes around to do it this way:

Drill 1/2" holes in face
    Drill 3/4" holes in face
    rough profile
    finish profile.

So, without mucking around with cutting and pasting my old program, I simply rearrange the sequence, and hit the "Post" button and get a new program. I call this "zero editing" because I don't have to touch what gets posted in the NC editor.

This is what I like about the NC manager, is that you get a clear and concise understanding of what your nc program is going to be doing, whereas, you'd have to poke through your nc code in Mill 2000 to see what procedures are involved, and how you had them set up.

Also, I am interested in documenting what I have done, so that I can do it again, easily. The NC manager is where you gain this ability to store your CAM procedures independent of a given nc program. Its a lot easier to click on "Edit this process" and run through it to see how you had it set up, than to rummage through some 60 day old nc program to see what worked.

Last edited by HuFlungDung; 07-31-2003 at 03:21 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the information.
    I don't have a toolchanger. Since I have to manually change tools and check the offset each time, I only program for that one tool, for that one process. To cut a mold, I might run up to 12 separate cnc files, each one a separate process,
    Face mill,
    Roughing,
    Finishing,
    Drill,
    Edge Trim,
    etc.
    The newer NC manager would be slick if I had a different machine, and used a variety of tooling. I just don't think I need it right now. Since I am breaking down all of the processes from the beginning, the associative machining ability doesn't mean that much.
    If I did have access to a toolchanger, I could still write separate files in 2000MillPro and just call out the tool number at the beginning of each file.
    I also don't use DNC, so being able to feed files to a variety of machines is overkill right now. I copy the files to 1.44 floppies or CD-W and walk it over to the machine.
    So I can only guess that NC wouldn't be the deciding factor for me. However, the updated toolpath strategies is a different matter.
    In the meantime, I'll stick with 2000, until someone sends me a new password for 2003.
    Is anyone else waiting for theirs?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Passwords

Keith,

Just call in to Onecnc and they will get you a password for Mill2003 update. Some times it takes a day.

It's like your original password in that it is specific to your dongle/client number.

Downloads
    Uploads

I see what you are saying (and doing), Keith.

Basically, you are using windows explorer for your "nc manager". That's cool. It does require a lot of extra program space and file management, though.

I also use one mill with a toolchanger, and one other one with a Kwik-switch manual tool change. For the type of work I get, though, even the manual mill programs have from 1 to 7 tools for one program, and it would not be practical to stop and change programs for each process.

Oh well, I tried You've got something to look forward to when you're ready.

Downloads
    Uploads

After reading the post here, I went back and looked at Mill Professional 2000 vs XP to see the differences.

I REALLY like the nc manager in the XP, compared to the Mill Pro 2000.

Here is an example of why....
    After creating and milling a part, I might find that I want to change something, like the amount left on the finish pass, I can edit just that parameter, without picking the edges again, or trying to figure out where in the NC code to modify. Then post and know my code will be right.
    It allows me to easily tweek the output instantly.
    You can easily post each step to a separate file, just right click and post(I do this all the time). The NC steps are all saved with the Drawing.

It was a bit different at first, but now I wouldn't think of going back to the old way.

(for me at least)
    -JamesBondOh

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Passwords

Originally posted by wms
    Keith,

Just call in to Onecnc and they will get you a password for Mill2003 update. Some times it takes a day.
    Silly me, I followed the instructions and emailed my request last week. Maybe they're at a show. I'll try again later if nothing shows up by Monday.

Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Sorry

Keith,
    Sorry I didn't know you had e-mailed them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up New tour at Onecnc

Guys,

Here's a link to the new XP series tour, that went up today, that explains the nc manager in great detail. Along with lots of other stuff.

http://www.onecnc.net/quicktour/quic...ssociative.htm