BobCAD and Woodworking X-Grade?

Thread: BobCAD and Woodworking X-Grade?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default BobCAD and Woodworking X-Grade?

Hi

I am a somewhat unhappy user of BobCAD 18 in a woodworking environment (not all of us can afford CabnetVision) and I wondered how difficult it would be for someone like me to X-grade to OneCNC? Also, do you think that OneCNC will be suitable for use on a PTP router? Can extra scripting be added to handle my 32mm drilling crown (30 vertical/horizontal drilling units)?

Thanks in advance

Similar Threads:
    Scrit
    from the Sunny Pennines, England's Backbone

Downloads
    Uploads

Scrit,
    The move to onecnc is very easy from bobcad. The interface is very user frendly and very well laid out.

What kind of scripting do you need?
    The posts in onecnc are very easily changed to you requirerments.
    And the drill cycles are configurable also.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scrit,

Ask Mark Linder, also a "router man"

Although Onecnc is a fantastic piece of software, it does not use (or allow) scripts whatsoever. However, good news: with a 3d model of your part, it is usually quite unnecessary to script, because Onecnc can create the toolpaths you need automatically, rendering the need for scripts, obsolete.

At least this was my experience. And like WMS says, I doubt you would need any scripts to "fix up" the nc code output, either.

If in doubt about your particular requirements, ask them for a test drive. I think their policy is 30 days to prove your satisfaction, or your money back.

Downloads
    Uploads

Scrit,

Why don't you download a copy of Profiler at onecnc web site.
    It is made for routers (2 axis) and it would give you a good idea of the interface and such.

You can also download a copy of mill 2000 (production or professional) to check out. I f you need or want 3 axis stuff.
    There is no demo of Xp series, but as Hu stated you can try for 30 day money back.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the input guys. I currently need to use VB script externally to BobCAD in order to accomodate some of the peculiarities of the CNI RT480 controller on my machine. It needs a Biesse-centric header and is very sensitive to some instruction sequences. It also appears to have some odd rules - like you must park the Z axis and turn-off tool compensation (G40) before attempting a jog (G0) - don't do that and the so and so will stop mid cut . The machine also has three spindles rather than a tool changer (I wish I had a tool changer - maybe next year) so scripting is necessary to accommodate this at times. Lastly the drilling cycles are normaly handled by on-board optimiser software which works somewhat differently. All in all it is enough to drive you nuts when setting upo a program - once it is running, however, I love the beast.....

PS The UK supplier of OneCNC has just posted me a demo and is offering me a very attractive discount to bin BobCAD and go OneCNC. So what's support like, fellahs?

Scrit

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Scrit,
    Being new to CNC/CAD/CAM support was a major issue with me, while my opinion is that the help files lack the company on the other hand is flat there for you. What I am beginning to really appreciate about OneCNC is their attentiveness to customer input. I tried several packages but settled on OneCNC because of the support issues that they have kept their word on. I have never regretted it and things start to come together very fast using it. This forum and now OneCNC's new forum have been a major benefit as well.

Ken

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Scrit,

Just for your own assurance, if I were you, I would submit the details concerning the requirements of your controller's post to your dealer and see what they can come up with. I understand that there are machines out there that are quite unusual to configure, and I have no idea about the complexities required for yours. So, give the support a go before you buy. If it is possible to be done within their program, tech support from the company has always been good. Some of us amateurs have ideas, too, but we are all so darn busy creating stuff and making money now that its tough to give detailed support

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys

Thanks for your very helpful input. The UK distributor has already talked to OneCNC in the States about my "peculiar" requirements. They see no problem in supplying either a post processor to accommodate the CNI RT480 controller we use (or its code pecularities) nor in the fact that the Y-axis seems to be 'inverted' (i.e. origin at the rear of the work table) on Biesse routers (I believe that Morbidellis are the same). They are looking into the questions I posed about code restrictions imposed by the controller and the issues surrounding the drilling crown on this machine and will let me know what can be done in due course. Their attention to meeting my requirements has been exceptional, so far. I am pleasantly surprised. Let's see what the postman brings on the morrow....

Scrit