Problem RF wireless tool set model DT02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RF wireless tool set model DT02

Downloads
    Uploads

Default RF wireless tool set model DT02

I’m wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with the tool measure wireless sensor. I have 3 machines and all have failed to give a signal at some point. Results are catastrophic as you can imagine as the power is incredible. I’ve ended up putting a safety sensor on one machine and will roll it out to the rest.
    When I’ve raised issue with Omni, technical tell me to check batteries. Batteries were brand new when it happened. No confidence in this system which is not in my opinion industrial standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RF wireless tool set model DT02

I have one of these units myself. I have noticed that I need to touch the sensor after I start up the machine or the state can be wrong. If I tell it to do a touch off it works fine if I make sure I touch the probe right after I start up the machine. Not sure if it goes to sleep or what. I have only had this a couple months, so I will watch this to make sure it does not just stop. Thanks for the alert.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

So when the probe loses RF signal, the output contacts remain open? That's not a very fail-safe design.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default RF wireless tool set model DT02

It’s not fail safe at all.
    Imagine the scene, a brand new machine wired and ready and the first time I do a tool set (with new batteries) the z axis doesn’t stop a totally wreck the spindle mounting plate which is around 15mm thick and snaps. I sat down and nearly cried !

This happened about nine months ago and last week I got another machine and the same would have happened if I hadn’t been vigilante.
    I’ve filter a proximity sensor to one machine linked into the stop circuit which does make it fail safe.

It can’t just be us that’s having this issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

1 each use cnc ,touch sensor, there is a light in control cabinet ,check sensor work well or not
    2 use auto calibration ,you choose handwheel mode for first calibration.
    3 if calibration work well , then close handwheel mode.

Useful Tips for CNC Router Machine Syntec Controller Operation

Downloads
    Uploads

For the wiireless sensors,there are some disadvantages during working,there are two singnal lights on the sensor,you need first to check the signals before first time to use the sensor,batter maybe week during long shipping,but the lights will show you on,that is the problems,so,the first thinkgs you shoud do is to change new batteries before run the cnc machine.

There is another protectism for the sensor,the Syntec signla will be stay on NC,when machine power on,you need to press the sensor to let it into NO,then the sensor can work,this should be done every time when you shut down and restart cnc.

Any more questions contact with support@omni-cnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by djcregan View Post
    I’m wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with the tool measure wireless sensor. I have 3 machines and all have failed to give a signal at some point. Results are catastrophic as you can imagine as the power is incredible. I’ve ended up putting a safety sensor on one machine and will roll it out to the rest.
    When I’ve raised issue with Omni, technical tell me to check batteries. Batteries were brand new when it happened. No confidence in this system which is not in my opinion industrial standard.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Firstly, I’ve had my first machine over 3 years and this has a Syntec 6MD controller, my other newer machines have the 6MD version of the controller. I work with these, every day and I deal with all issues with them on a a daily basis, so it’s reasonable to say, I have learned a great deal over the 3 years.

I can confirm that when the tool sensor is pressed, both signal lights are activated, this is always the case.
    I can also confirm the batteries are always changed weekly so there is never an issue with the batteries, furthermore no “L-power” light has ever been seen.
    So just to clarify further your explanation , are you saying that unless the sensor plunger is pressed so that the indicator lights are activated and before running the tool height setting, then there is a possibility that the system could fail. ?
    If this is the case that I can tell you that we have three identical machines and we have never had any important instructions to go through this procedure. If it’s that important then, should there not be documentation to this effect?

Downloads
    Uploads

It’s happening again.
    You need to sort this Omni!
    I have 2 machines that have the same issue. It can’t just be bad luck !

Downloads
    Uploads

djcregan,
    I also have the DT02 touch off tool sensor. I do not think this has anything to do with your Omni machine. That sensor once powered up never initializes unless you press the silver touch off button. That wakes up the receiver and puts it in the correct state. This is the most bizarre design ever. I have my mounted on a router that is running Centroid CNC12 software and it was causing me all kinds of headaches. If you failed to initialize that sensor the CNC12 software would issue an error you were already there. I actually changed the CNC12 PLC code that puts a reminder on the screen of CNC12 if I forget to press the button upon startup. Not an elegant solutions but better than nothing. Might need to find a different touch off sensor.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    Thanks for your input which is appreciated. I’m not sure what you are say so forgive me. Are you saying that the DT02 sensor is not suitable for the application intended?

Downloads
    Uploads

By the way.
    To stop the future risk, I designed a fail safe which encompasses a micro switch linked into the stop circuit as the attached which we have 3D printed.
    At least now I can sit at my desk without the constant fear of a failure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good idea with the micro switch. What I am trying to say is this DT02 unit does not get initialized after you power the unit up until you press the silver touch off disc. If you press that disc after you power up your machine before you do any work that tries to set your tools, I think you will find it works fine. The problem is the design of the DT02, it is not awake after you power up the unit.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes
    I think your right.
    So the system is flawed and not to an industrial standard. Ok for diy maybe but not in a production environment. ?

Downloads
    Uploads

My DT02 touch plate failed yesterday. It's not a precision instrument even when working. I stripped it down to investigate the problem, there is a very thin probe attached to the underside of the touch plate that hits a grounding plate when the plunger is depressed. The problem is that the probe is attached by friction fit, and mine was only making intermittent contact when plunged. For me, the touch plate is a critical component that needs to be top quality and reliable. I have asked Omni for a replacement, but in the long term I will look for a better quality wired alternative.

@djcregan would you mind sharing the 3d printer file for the fail safe body? I could print this off on my 3d printer. Could you let me know how you've wired in the switch?

When my touch plate finally failed yesterday, the z kept sliding into the switch and I had to hit the e stop. But before I hit it, the tool in the hold pushed up into the holder grinding as it went. I am concerned that given the massive resistance when the Z didn't stop, that a coupling on the servo to lead screw could slip and introduce slop. I had a situation on our AXYZ machine where a drive pulley wore it's key to the stepper shaft, this slop resulting in backlash.

@djcregan you mention that a z slide bracket broke when the touch plate failed, which part is this specifically? Did you investigate the coupling between servo and z lead screw?

Anyone had a hard stop on the X Y or Z? I'm interested to find out if the drive pulley/spurs are likely to fail before the machine stops? Will alarm be raised/servos cut if resistance is beyond torque?

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone know the wiring connections for the touch plate receiver? I'd like to consider a wired alternative like this: https://cnc-plus.de/en/Router-Access...g-Sensor-.html I'm assuming it simply closes connection when plunged. If the controller board just needs a a pair of pins to close loop to switch then I think with would work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Yurtnam
    Happy to share the files if it helps. Be aware that not all DT02 models are identical so the height of the plunger can be slightly different. I’ll send you a dimension drawing as well.
    Please pm me so I can send them by email.

By the way, damage is likely to be severe if you have a large cutter in the spindle, see attached.

Downloads
    Uploads

As for wiring I’ve just tapped into a he emergency stop button on the controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

@djcregan just tried to message you, but your inbox is full. Jees, that mounting plate has snapped like a cracker. Did you have any slip in the servo to lead screw coupling?

Downloads
    Uploads

No offense meant.. but I can't believe anyone is even using a wireless sensor for such a function.
    I have a SYNTEC 6MB machine.. ATC... and a wired sensor.
    Beware.. Chinease machine makers are lazy.. like many trades in the US.
    I can't believe people don't just run the wires and hook up a wired sensor (no batteries to fail..no sygnal to loose...etc...)

Actually.. most sensors have 2 contacts... one as a fail safy sygnal...
    Sadly.. noone in china ever bothered to wire up the second contact either.

Good luck guys..
    I would just wire up a real sensor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think your right.
    But effectively we’ve kind of done that albeit into the stop circuit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast