OMNI 1530 Tool Change Interference

Thread: OMNI 1530 Tool Change Interference

Activation process matthewomeara's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default OMNI 1530 Tool Change Interference

I just received an OMNI 1530 linear ATC with the Syntec 6MB controller. I think I've mostly figured out the setup at this point. However, I'm running into a problem when doing a tool change. The bottom of the router frame just barely hits the top of the tools when doing a tool change. I'd say the interference is about 1/8" to 3/16". Not enough to knock of the tool when run in MPG mode. But I don't dare let it run in Auto.

It's possible to perform a tool change without interference if the machine first moves to X0, then moves to the Y tool staging dimension, then along the X axis to the desired tool. Doing so allows the router head to go around the tools. But that's not what the tool change macro is doing.

Thought I'd ask here before I go through the time consuming task of shaving down the height of the aluminum frame that supports the tools. I suppose OMNI could have built the machine without testing it, but that seems a bit odd that they wouldn't test it out before shipping.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OMNI 1530 Tool Change Interference-toolchange-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OMNI 1530 Tool Change Interference

it may be easier to modify the TC macro .... make it go to to an intermediate point before puting/taking a tool.

You just need to consider from where the head would be coming. from all possible points on the table.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd just chop the blocks a hair personally. It's weird but the difference should be fine for the spindle grab.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm sure modifying the spindle blocks 1/4" would work fine. I'm a wood guy, but I share space with metal workers, so it's not a big deal to get done.

I'm just wondering if I'm screwing something up in my code. I'd never looked at a post processor before about a week ago, and I've been making a lot of hacks to get it to produce the code to match the OMNI sample files. Perhaps there's an option in the post that would solve the problem? The weird thing is that the sample file provided on the controller also knocks the tools when making a tool change. So I know it's not just my code.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

Omni support Albert here,for this problems,I think we can offer you a tool holder shorter support to solve that problems

for more informaitons please send into support@omni-cnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by matthewomeara View Post
    I just received an OMNI 1530 linear ATC with the Syntec 6MB controller. I think I've mostly figured out the setup at this point. However, I'm running into a problem when doing a tool change. The bottom of the router frame just barely hits the top of the tools when doing a tool change. I'd say the interference is about 1/8" to 3/16". Not enough to knock of the tool when run in MPG mode. But I don't dare let it run in Auto.

It's possible to perform a tool change without interference if the machine first moves to X0, then moves to the Y tool staging dimension, then along the X axis to the desired tool. Doing so allows the router head to go around the tools. But that's not what the tool change macro is doing.

Thought I'd ask here before I go through the time consuming task of shaving down the height of the aluminum frame that supports the tools. I suppose OMNI could have built the machine without testing it, but that seems a bit odd that they wouldn't test it out before shipping.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey matthew..
    From the pictures.. your gantry is hitting the tools because the tool rack beam is too high.
    While cutting it down is probably the only option... it is quite shocking to see such a mistake sent out of the factory.
    It's like a mechanic forgetting to put the lug nuts on your cars wheels... no joke.

Anyway.. after you get that sorted.. you may need to update your tool change macro.. but you will more importantly need to re-teach the machine all the tool holder positions...

Do you know how to make a backup of your system.. or your system files.. such as macros and ladder..etc..
    it's a menu you have to go through to do this... Get it on a flash drive.. and upload it here.. and I will look at it... to see if I can help.

ALso... take more picture of the entire machine.. and the control cabinet.. as well as inside the cabinet.

Good luck, Frank

Are you in the States?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    I think the simplest solution will be as follows:

1.lift the X gantry by use of packing shims.
    2. Adjust the the z axis by the the amount you have lifted the gantry in the tool ATC setting matrix.
    Here is a pic, this one is blank, yours will have values which you should be able to work out but I’m happy to explain further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

djcregan,

Thanks for posting your picture of your ATC setup Screen,

Sadly this proves one major flaw in SYNTEC... indirectly...

Every manufacturer sets up the same SYNTEC 6MB differently.. and therefore, often making it super difficult to help other machine users.

For example.. that screen doesn't exist on anyone else's machine.. it is a custom screen.
    ALso.. the Rbits, or PLC Ladder, or Macros are all unique and custom, and I found My own Manufacturer had trouble sorting it out..

SYNTEC is stable and very competent.. but it is also ALL OVER THE PLACE... Not much consistency among different machine makers.

Downloads
    Uploads

My solution was a hack in my post processor. I didn't want to invest the time to dig into macro coding.

When I do a tool change, I force the machine to move to X0 first. This way the spindle head goes around the tools when making a tool change and avoids knocking the bits. When the tool change is complete, I force the spindle to move to Y108 before resuming the program. It's been working fine for a month now.

The "correct" solution would have been to trim down the tool rack, but time is money and this was the quicker solution. It does surprise me that OMNI didn't do a QC check to find this. All they would have to do is to run the sample program that comes with the controller and they would have seen it.

Another bug that I had to deal with was the imperial / metric issue that has been discussed on other threads (controller macro only does tool change in metric mode, while I run programs in inch mode). Strange that it was known about over a year ago and they are still shipping units that haven't fixed it. I also did a post processor hack to fix this issue. I force a G70 at the start of a tool change and then a G71 at the end of the tool change.

With that said, the machine has been up and running for about a month now and I'm extremely pleased. Partly because my old router was 25 years old, slow, inaccurate, and didn't have a tool changer. This machine is miles better. For the price, this is a lot of machine.