Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process

Finally it's here! Before I write up a detailed description of everything I have get it running.

Here is picture of the wiring lugs. Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process-uploadfromtaptalk1457726285870-jpg

On the left is the main power as this is going to the switch on the cabinet. What I can't decide is what the other 2 sets of lugs is for and if I power them off the incoming wire, where they would be switched.

Grounding is on a lug outside that connects to a Grounding bar inside so thats clear enough.

Anyone have some thoughts?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Downloads
    Uploads

OK looks like those lugs on the right are outgoing. They seem to be fed from relays that in turn are fed from the outgoing side of the main switch.

Maybe for the vacuum pump? Except there are 2 of them...

Here's the relays (right 2 marked D18) .

Downloads
    Uploads

Umm. All one color wire. Neatly done though. No thoughts other than to just pop the covers off and physically trace each wire. They will probably have continuity and or resistance to each other, but that won't tell you a lot.
    No schematic with it?

Even one drawn on a napkin would be helpful.

Congrats too.
    Look forward to seeing more about it.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

As I told others, no schematic expected. They are labelled well though.

I think I'll get the main power on and see if those 2 click when I try the vacuum zones...

But yeah lots of red (maybe because I got UL rated wire so they used 1 spool wherever they could)

Downloads
    Uploads

OK So I'm going to just start somewhere and keep talking.

Packing: Minimal - which I knew but this did end up creating some damage during un stufffing and loading on to my truck. Specifically one of the hard stops was broken and also the sheet metal cover on one side of the gantry was bashed (enough that the screws popped their heads off). I think that the motor under is OK but I don't have power just yet.

I've left off the feet for now as I'm pretty level already and my jack doesn't fit under the machine. I can figure it out if I want to but I figure no harm in leaving it at the moment if its level.

So I'll break out some sections"

Frame: The gantry upright is about 18mm thick steel (and a box - can't measure the other wall though) and the cross beam is 8mm steel. The machine frame is significantly thinner though just as big of a tube. I estimate about 4-5 mm thick walls on the frame and 6mm on the legs. So even though the frame is a little lighter than I thought, overall I think its still more that fine and I was surprised at the thickness on the gantry uprights. Its hard to tell if the uprights and cross member of the gantry are milled flat or shimmed so I'll save any judgement on that.

Limit switches/travel - proximity switches all around - in retrospect I should have asked for mechanical. Metal tab (that the limit reads) was bent when the hard stop was knocked off at the warehouse. The other note on the limits is they are very very close to the end of the rail as in were likely lined up by going to the end of the rails and then installing them. The router is hanging over the edge by that point and so there is no need to bring it that close to the edge. They are also basically at the hard stop, when they should have at least a bit of a gap. If they do, its under a 1/4". This is probably the biggest surprise so far.

More to come.

Downloads
    Uploads

These two sets of lugs will be for the vacuum and the dust extraction. That's what mine are anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by djcregan View Post
    These two sets of lugs will be for the vacuum and the dust extraction. That's what mine are anyway

Awesome - Thanks! - Not that they are big enough for my vacuum but as long as they get the relay signal we can sort that out. I've run so long without dust I forgot all about it!

Downloads
    Uploads

0,0 on my machine is -45,-45 from cornet of table

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, So electrician is coming Monday here's what I've done so far to commission it:

1) unpacked the tool holders and cleaned off the oil and applied loctite to the HSD toolchanger studs (or half of them at least).
    2) Bought oil and filled automatic lube tank (trying 15-40 motor oil to start)
    3) connected it to the air system (they seem to use auto draining water filters, which are good but might need to be changed out if its putting too much load on the compressor.
    4) mapped the vacuum zones (with a sharpie on the side of the cabinet)
    5) Cleaned the packing grease off the rails.
    6) ran an ethernet cable from the switch to the Syntec controller.

And that's it so far.

Problems forseen/mods are:

1) dust shoe and debris rail. I think this will also be an issue on this machine but hard to say until sacrificial layer is on.
    2) end of table - switch from sheet metal cover of air solenoids to see through plastic (and maybe held on with magnets.
    3) redo what I think is a tool holder vice, its pretty loose. Might just use a regular vice as on my prev. machine
    4) er32 wrench - its a pretty poor specimen so I think a new proper one is in order.

I'll try and post some more pics later but the fun will be next week when I have power.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK some more pics.... Just mainly to show build quality. Overall it's about what expected for build quality (visually).

The finish is rough, the paint just barely OK and has odd touch ups, the welds are spattered and at times only done on 3 out of 4 sides with some gaps.

But overall it looks solid.

Also a shot of the vacuum plumbing because no one ever seems to do an underneath shot.

And while I'm thinking of it, the rack section are longer than I thought they would be. I saw a similar machine at a trade show and the rack was in maybe 16- 18" pieces, but these are at least 24-26" (5pc on 10' bed).

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately not a lot of progress today, the electricians house was hit by a tree so he was busy with an adjuster.

In the meantime I discovered I am too close to one wall as the tool changer sticks out further than I thought it would (7.5" more...). Unfortunately I discovered this 3 days after my ability to move it left. So I've got a call back to them... Anyhow, still hoping to get power to it tomorrow and maybe rejig the vacuum zones and get ldf for the table top.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok Electrian showed up (briefly) - just enough to empower me to try and run some temporary juice - which I did successfully (once I figured how to turn it on - I thought the on/off switch was it - but I didn't realize their was a button the front too! Its the little things that get you when you have no documentation!

Anyhow so here is what I accomplished:

1) jogged all the axis and figured out how to home them.
    2) got the ethernet working for file transfer.
    3) Eventually got a tool to touch off (and then found out the battery was dead in the wireless sensor - one e-stop later).
    4) broke my first tool holder clip. Not sure exactly how it happened but I had another incident later where I basically lost a step on the carousel (so 1 was 8, 2 went to 1 etc).
    5) cut some air and then a little bit of foam (still well away from the vacuum table as the spoilboard is not on). Early indications are its squared up fine.
    6) managed to get oil leaking all over from excess going to some of the bearings- I'll have to figure out how to tone down the automatic lubrication.
    7) Increased the jog speed to about 1200ipm and tried it up to almost 3000ipm (not happy at that but 2000ipm was OK).
    8) confirmed spindle speed was accurate for controller vs actual
    9) located some material for the spoilboard (ultraboard low density fiberboard).
    10) Tweaked the post processor to end in a better position to unload (it stayed in place before) - some more tweaks to come on that I think.

Tomorrow - hopefully I'll get the tool touch offs nailed down a bit better and then on Thursday start rejigging the vacuum zones.

But hey - at least I managed to not run into the wall yet!

Last edited by gfacer2; 03-16-2016 at 03:15 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't feel bad, over a period of 1 month I broke all my tool clips (holders) and ended up making my own as Omni want a lot for them.

There a Taiwan company that charges 24USD each.

Mine is linear though ?

Here's the instructions for setting up oil lube, it took me ages to get this out of Omni.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/87yvcmim6r...%20up.pdf?dl=0

It's a hell of a job to set the right delivery. Still haven't mastered it. Let me know how you get on.

By the way.

Resuming
    You may have worked it out but you can stop a programme, record the "start block" number. Go back and type the block number, press cycle start and the machine will go from there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks David, I'll keep at it.

Thanks for the oil, what oil are you running? Right now I'm trying 15w-40 motor oil but I know some people have used gear oil (about 75w).

As for the hold, I think I can pause, jog spindle up, stop the spindle, (clean bit in a real life situation) and then restart the spindle and hit cycle start and it will resume. Have to remember to start the spindle though.

I know it's asking a lot but any chance or sharing the file for the tool clips?

Last edited by gfacer2; 03-16-2016 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Morning brain

Downloads
    Uploads

OK so not as much action today.

Assessed the vacuum table and its pipe sizing, which I think is inadequate for my regen style vacuum. It has 8 zones with 1" pipe which doesn't come near the capacity of the pumps 3" inlet. Planning to go to larger pipes, maybe with some manual blast gates to turn on and off to be replaced in the future by solenoids if it's all working.

The table and the number of holes seems fine, it's just the plumbing bottlenecks the system immediately and the valves were sized after the bottleneck. So first note is to spec out 2" valves and plumbing under the table unless using a becker styles low cam, high vacuum system (should be fine for that).

I posted this elsewhere but how have others experienced the stock table, am I over engineering this?

Also got material for spoil board but I guess that's a bit premature.

Not much else today.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK today I tore apart the existing vacuum system and began up sizing things. Keeping existing zones as I think I'll cover the top rather than close many zones.

I started basically from the holes in the table and the added an abs pipe system underneath, the holes in the table were approx. 1.375" so I used 1.5" for each hole feeding into a 2" abs pipe that will have a stub out to some 2" id flexible pipe and then to another 2" stub out from a 3" abs manifold and from there 3" to the pump.

Here's before and during (after to come after ☺)

Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process-uploadfromtaptalk1458260412476-jpg

Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process-uploadfromtaptalk1458260434861-jpg

Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process-uploadfromtaptalk1458260464036-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

A bit further on the vacuum table. I really hopes this helps someone spec their machine better as its a pain.

And wired up... Omni 1530 ordered and ongoing log of the process-uploadfromtaptalk1458368463100-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

This is true for those using a regenerative blower, the original was probably fine for a Becker or Becker style pump.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I just used 15w - 40, it probably doesn't matter which is used. The tool clip - mine is iso 20, I think yours will be bigger than this ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by djcregan View Post
    I just used 15w - 40, it probably doesn't matter which is used. The tool clip - mine is iso 20, I think yours will be bigger than this ?

Yes it is, no worries. I can get from Laguna on eBay for $30 in US.

I might try a mix of gear oil and 15/40.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast