Need Help with rs232 connection LB-15

Thread: Need Help with rs232 connection LB-15

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need Help with rs232 connection LB-15

I am trying to connect a pc to my LB-15. I assumed that a standard parallel printer cable hooked up to the serial connection and the pc would work, but when I did it it overloaded something in the control and shut it down. It didnt tear anything up, but I still need to connect my computer to it. I have seen a picture that has a second cable in line before it reaches the computer and I feel like there is magic in the intermediate cable. I am attaching a copy of the picture. Please help me understand the connection. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help with rs232 connection LB-15-rs232-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

read this thread
    especially about the cable wiring --- it is NOT a standard printer cable

Downloads
    Uploads

Default RS232

Um, bad news. If it shut down the control when you plugged something in, You most likely smoked the RS232 board. Okuma's are VERY sensitive to this. You will need a light box to check the port now. If you do get it working, DO NOT UNPLUG/Plug the cable in with the power on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone curious of the outcome of this...with the correct cable, everything is up and running properly. No damage to RS232 board. Much easier than I assumed. I have the parameter changes necessary as well as the Pin-Out mapping if anyone needs. Thanks as always for the help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What pin-out did you use to configure the cable? I asume you are not working DNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the information.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help with rs232 connection LB-15-osp-50207007000ulum-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default USB to rs232 25 pin

I'm trying to hook up a laptop to an okuma osp5020m. my laptop has USB ports. is this possible? if so, how would i go about getting the correct cable?

Downloads
    Uploads

You have to get a cable built. You need the Okuma MAP on one end, a junction box, then USB. I have seen them...

Contact WireWise, Inc. in Gastonia NC You can Google it for the phone number.

They made mine =)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jpwilliams4 View Post
    I'm trying to hook up a laptop to an okuma osp5020m. my laptop has USB ports. is this possible? if so, how would i go about getting the correct cable?
    All you need is the USB serial adapter, available for ~10 bucks at most computer shops.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    All you need is the USB serial adapter, available for ~10 bucks at most computer shops.
    That's only if he has the correct serial cable adapter in hand. The pin-out has to be matched...and the standard PC serial and the Okuma serial is not 1:1.

The correct pin-out mapping is a little higher in this forum post.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need Help with rs232 connection LB-15

Quote Originally Posted by WGJ View Post
    Anyone curious of the outcome of this...with the correct cable, everything is up and running properly. No damage to RS232 board. Much easier than I assumed. I have the parameter changes necessary as well as the Pin-Out mapping if anyone needs. Thanks as always for the help.
    Hi WGJ,I am trying to connect my pc to my machines. We have LB10, 12, 15 with OSP500L/5000L-G. Can you show me more details how to connect, what cables and configuration to get the connection works...I want to see how do the READ/GET/PUT commands work on transferring data between pc and machine.Thanks a lot