Okuma Crown V4018 any issues to look out for?

Thread: Okuma Crown V4018 any issues to look out for?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Okuma Crown V4018 any issues to look out for?

I may be buying an Okuma Crown V4018 and wanted to get your opinions on the machine and maybe what to look out for. It has the OSP-U10M control and the 12k spindle.

Thanks
    Matt

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mswasty View Post
    I may be buying an Okuma Crown V4018 and wanted to get your opinions on the machine and maybe what to look out for. It has the OSP-U10M control and the 12k spindle.

Thanks
    Matt
    I think it fair to say that the Okuma machines built in Charlotte for the US market, were much more lightweight and more cheaply manufactured. The controls are also cut down versions of those made in Japan.

Example, a forge company with several LB9 machines bought a Cadet with OSP700L control. It looked very similar to the LB9 with similar capacity. However, the constant intermittent cutting broke the crosslide in half in a matter of months. The Cadet was welded fabricated, the LB9 was cast iron so much stronger and more rigid.

So, if you are going to buy one of these Cadet or Crown machines for light engineering components it would be fine, but avoid if heavy intermittent cutting or harder materials.

I was a service tech for Okuma, and had several disappointed customers with these machines.

However, I do think they are excellent machines with a good CNC control, spindle and drives.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma Crown V4018 any issues to look out for?

Thanks Servtech. That's good info. Could you give me the model number of a Japanese built Okuma VMC in the late 90's to mid 2000's? In the states, all I see are MX-45VAE, MC-V4020, ES-V4020, V4018. Are all these the cheaply built VMC's for the US market? I've been told to stay away from the ES series because of the ZPS spindles.

I appreciate the insight.

Matt