Need diagnostic help! MC V U10M. MCS alarm tool change

Thread: Need diagnostic help! MC V U10M. MCS alarm tool change

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need diagnostic help! MC V U10M. MCS alarm tool change

Issue:
    MCS alarm occurs During tool change. Machine will do several tool changes, sometimes 5, sometimes 10. Then it stops with a MCS alarm on the MG axis(tool change motor).

Condition:
    Not always same tool, but always same spot. When it removes the tool from the spindle, tool goes down, arm starts to rotate, but only rotates about 1 inch (25mm).

Efforts so far:
    Megged motor and cable
    Swapped drive
    Set all the tools in magazine to Heavy Tool, it hasn’t failed failed since we did this, but it was late in the day so, we only did a few tool changes. We plan on doing more tomorrow.

Trying to fix it without rebuilding the gearbox. That’s a big job and I don’t want to tear into that until I’m positive the gearbox is the culprit.

All questions are welcome, ideas are preferred!

Thanks everyone.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ibrockin View Post
    Issue:
    MCS alarm occurs During tool change. Machine will do several tool changes, sometimes 5, sometimes 10. Then it stops with a MCS alarm on the MG axis(tool change motor).

Condition:
    Not always same tool, but always same spot. When it removes the tool from the spindle, tool goes down, arm starts to rotate, but only rotates about 1 inch (25mm).

Efforts so far:
    Megged motor and cable
    Swapped drive
    Set all the tools in magazine to Heavy Tool, it hasn’t failed failed since we did this, but it was late in the day so, we only did a few tool changes. We plan on doing more tomorrow.

Trying to fix it without rebuilding the gearbox. That’s a big job and I don’t want to tear into that until I’m positive the gearbox is the culprit.

All questions are welcome, ideas are preferred!

Thanks everyone.
    Update: setting all the tools to “heavy tool” and made over 150 tool changes with no alarm.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need diagnostic help! MC V U10M. MCS alarm tool change

That motor I believe is used for both driving the tool change arm and the magazine rotation and switches by mechanisms between devices. It is not uncommon to have the switching position get out of alignment and then not want to engage properly. I would try adjusting the engagement orientation parameter slightly to see if it makes the problem go away without losing the speed.

You may be able to get that procedure through your distributor service group. I don’t have it here, but additional info may also be in your maintenance manual.

Best regards,

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need diagnostic help! MC V U10M. MCS alarm tool change

Try to slow ATC change speed. Speed is dangerous