Need Help! Okuma MC-500H Resurrection

Thread: Okuma MC-500H Resurrection

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Okuma MC-500H Resurrection

The boss wanted me to try getting our only non-operational CNC back online, but it is fighting me. I have limited experience with these machines, and I'm sure as hell not a machinist; I just fix whatever breaks around the shop.

OSP-5000 system
    Y-Axis overtravel light is on, need to see if we can get it off the sensor.

Problems:
    1. Machine failed to boot on powerup; 12 UV error on right side rack. Traced to bad EP-II-A card, replaced. Card no longer kills power supply on startup, but plugging in cable XB-EPO-6 instantly kills power and causes a 12 UV alarm. Forced to boot machine up without cable plugged in.

2. Z-Axis drive appears to not have power, as there are no lit LEDs anywhere on it.

3. MC axis drive shows an E8 Alarm LED, related to an encoder problem?

4. Attempting to select "Manual" mode after bootup typically causes a 1-1 CPU Cycle Error and locks everything up, requiring a full shutdown and restart. It will occasionally not crash, but I've only managed that twice. Error code shown, hexadecimal value listed apparently points to a defective board? Access Address=FFF03FCA

5. Machine always displays a 274 A level Alarm, code 480 "Field Net Communication Abnormal" after bootup. All fiber optic cables were checked, all passed light.

6. The VAC-II drive shows an "08" alarm after shutting the machine off, when machine is powered up displays an "02" code, but no alarm LEDs.

I get the feeling some of these issues are likely interrelated, but don't know where to start. Greatly appreciate any help the forum can provide.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma MC-500H Resurrection

Description looks messy. Don't bother with upper level faults untill lowest level solved.
    Boot up the machine properly first of all ( all cables and modules in place ). Hardware limit switches - the next. Only when no alarm active there is point to activate manual mode and so.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would like to boot up the machine with all of the cables in place, but it immediately shuts down if all of the connections to the EPIIA card are plugged in. Specifically XB-EPO-6; if that is left unplugged, I don't get a 12 UV fault and everything fires up relatively normally. Going to test the cable for potential shorts next.

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, so I verified that all the wires in the XB-EPO-6 cable to the MG axis are good, no shorts. I powered up the machine, waited a few minutes, then plugged in the cable to the ECPIIA card. Alarm lights on the MG axis drive lit up as shown. I then shut the power off, waited a minute, then attempted to power the machine on with the cable still hooked up. Machine tries to boot but immediately shuts off and shows a 12 UV alarm light on the right side rack. This is how its been for over a year. My assumption is that the MG axis drive is damaged and needs to be swapped out, but we don't have a spare.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Okuma MC-500H Resurrection-okuma_1-jpg   Okuma MC-500H Resurrection-okuma_2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Our main CNC guy managed to get the Field Net Alarm cleared by replacing a small board at the back wall of the unit, which is tied to the ECPIIA card via fiber. Now we have an 065 Alarm P SVP Start F030102, which is apparently related to the dead fourth axis module (thought is was the Z axis, but it was mislabeled). I traced the failure on the axis drive upper board to a dead transistor in the initial power supply circuit, and should have a replacement soon. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with that BL-D drive.