Need Help! Trying to load programs onto U100L dual spindle/ turret Okuma lathe.

Thread: Trying to load programs onto U100L dual spindle/ turret Okuma lathe.

Question Trying to load programs onto U100L dual spindle/ turret Okuma lathe.

I was tasked with hiring a programmer to create 50 programs for our Okuma lathe. - Quick disclaimer, I'm not a programmer or machinist.

I found a Fanuc G-code programmer on Fiverr, he made a test program for me to run. I loaded the test program onto a floppy and attempted to transfer to the Okuma's memory. I was directed by the Okuma's software to format the disk to OSP format. I did that (using the Okuma machine) which obviously deleted everything on the disk. I was then left unable to communicate with the disk from my MSDOS formatted PC in order to put the files back on the disk. After some research, I found and downloaded OSPOKU.exe from these forums and figured out how to use it. Now, the issue that I'm experiencing is: every time I try and transfer over the .TXT extension programs from the PC to the floppy disk via OSPOKU I get the error "The file name format is not suitable OSP." I did some more digging and discovered that the Okuma reads .MIN extension programs. I tried to change the file type by renaming the extension to .MIN but I'm still getting the same error. I reformatted the disk with OSPOKU and still received the same error message. I tried a brand new floppy and still receive the same error message. I contacted the programmer and he advised me to try changing the file extension to .TAP. I tried that as well but.. you guessed it. Same error. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to actually convert the .TXT to .MIN rather than just renaming it as a .min?

Please advise.. Any help that you guys can offer would be HUGELY appreciated as I find myself getting more and more frustrated with this project..

Side note: There was a single instance while attempting to transfer the files from my PC to the floppy using OSPOKU when it gave me a different error.. the error read "01.01.1980 is not a valid date". I double checked my date and time on my PC and everything is fine.

Thanks guys,
    Dili

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trying to load programs onto U100L dual spindle/ turret Okuma lathe.-2022-07-21-10_22_10-osp-floppy-okuyucu  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Trying to load programs onto U100L dual spindle/ turret Okuma lathe.

Ok, where to start...you need to go into MS DOS mode when working with DOS disks. This is done by pressing the extend button until MS-DOS shows up in edit mode. Press that and then you can read and write to dos disks. Otherwise it will want to use Okuma format disks and you do not need to go into MS-DOS mode. Dos is limited to 8 character file names with only alpha-numeric names. Okuma requires that they start with a letter, but NOT "O" as they are a sub callout name such as OSUB1.SUB. Okuma files can have up to to 16 character files names. You have several file types: MIN is main program, SUB is for Sub-programs, SDF is for a Schedule Data File (for calling main programs in sequence), SSB System Sub programs (which load on startup), and MSB which are manufacturer sub programs (for gauging, etc. also loaded on startup) To run on the Okuma you primarily want to use MIN files. They are just a plain text files like from notepad only with the MIN extension rather than TXT. ABC123.MIN would be a good file name in either system.

Next, your Fanuc guy will have little experience with Okuma as it is a different animal. Much better in many ways...once you get to know it...very powerful control. Be patient, because there are usually 3 ways to do anything on it. None wrong and you'll find it makes much more logical sense on operation with tons of little "help" functions.

Next, which machine are you trying to program? I have sample code for many Okumas and Twin Spindle twin turret machines are my specialty, so I've probably got a good "template" for you to work from. I also have a few helpful subs for working with load monitor and for checking switches that you may find helpful.

Last edited by OkumaWiz; 07-22-2022 at 11:45 AM.
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Diligence View Post
    I contacted the programmer and he advised me to try changing the file extension to .TAP. I tried that as well but.. you guessed it.
    I am programmer of OSPOKU utility but i didn't remember you contacted me.
    Old versions of ospoku has some bugs and i stopped distribute.
    Ospoku v4.9x available now and it isn't free.
    If you want contact me please send PM or
    email is okuma.tuning@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/okuma.tuning

Default Re: Trying to load programs onto U100L dual spindle/ turret Okuma lathe.

Thank you Wiz,

Very informative response.

I managed to get the programs onto the floppy yesterday before I had a chance to read this.. I wasn't sure, at the time, how I managed to fix it but after reading your post I believe it was the file name character limit as you mentioned.. maybe the _'s in the file names? I changed them to AAA-111.min, BBB-222.min, etc. I was able to get them transferred to the floppy & loaded onto the Okuma's memory. Now I'm having a completely unrelated issue.. my machinist (who is familiar with Mazak and Mazatrol) is having trouble figuring out how to teach the machine his "C zero" in order to run the program. Hopefully this issue will be a bit easier to solve.. he's exploring the machines manual as I type.

The machine is an Okuma LT10-M with a bar feeder and unloader installed.
    https://imgur.com/7BsCGjS

Kurmay,

When I said "I contacted the programmer" I meant my freelance Fanuc guy, not the software developer of OSPOKU. Sorry for the confusion.
    So far, the version I sourced from a previous post on this forum (not sure what v#) has worked for me. So I'm okay for now.
    Thank you however for reaching out. If I do have any other issues with the software I will contact you directly for v4.9

Downloads
    Uploads

Take a new disk put it in and send out a program to it first
    This will give the path and stuff to your disk
    Output *.* write which should out put all files to disk
    Open up as Tex file and use one of them to change info and then put back in

Downloads
    Uploads

The C zero is done in the Zero Set mode the same as the XYZ zeros. This is not to be confused with the syncronization zero point (M151) which is completely different. It is possible to transfer the part aligning chuck jaws to "mesh" and then machine at a different C zero.

Your machine has different Coordinate systems to work with. The upper turret (G13) has G140 and G141 for the Main and Sub spindle modes. Your lower turret (G14) can only work in G141, so you have A C-zero for the sub only. Move it to where you want it and then press CAL 0.0, Write or just CAL, Write.

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hola amigos tengo un OKUMA IMPACT LU-45 CONTROL OSP E100L CUANDO LO ENCIENDO SE ENCIENDEN TODAS LAS LUCEN DEL PANEL DE CONTROL SALE UNA CARGANDO Y DE AHI SE QUEDA LA PANTALLA OSCURA COMO SI ESTUBIERA APAGADO Y TODAS LA LUCES ESTAN ENSENDIDAS.