Need Help! LB15 SPINDLE ORIENTATION

Thread: LB15 SPINDLE ORIENTATION

Default LB15 SPINDLE ORIENTATION

Hey guys, I need some help with orienting my lb15 spindle, I just cant seem to figure it out, Im pretty good good with this osp5020 control for doing canned cycles, using common variables, etc.

I M19 my machine and nothing, y tried M19 C*** and it alarms with spindle orientation not specified,

Im actually trying to do internal involute splines on drive plates we make for Desert Racing trucks that race SCORE international series.

Can you guys help me here, parameter setting or programming?

Thanx in advance...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: LB15 SPINDLE ORIENTATION

Quote Originally Posted by MANIAK RACING View Post
    Hey guys, I need some help with orienting my lb15 spindle, I just cant seem to figure it out, Im pretty good good with this osp5020 control for doing canned cycles, using common variables, etc.

I M19 my machine and nothing, y tried M19 C*** and it alarms with spindle orientation not specified,

Im actually trying to do internal involute splines on drive plates we make for Desert Racing trucks that race SCORE international series.

Can you guys help me here, parameter setting or programming?

Thanx in advance...
    You have answered your own question... Alarms with spindle orientation not specified = Your machine does not have the required option for spindle orientation.
    Check your data card, this should be in the electrical cabinet, this will have all options for your machine shown by way of a circle alongside the option listed.
    I would bet 100% that this option is not ticked (circled)
    Cheers
    Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by broby View Post
    You have answered your own question... Alarms with spindle orientation not specified = Your machine does not have the required option for spindle orientation.
    Check your data card, this should be in the electrical cabinet, this will have all options for your machine shown by way of a circle alongside the option listed.
    I would bet 100% that this option is not ticked (circled)
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Well that sucks ???? would you happen to know if we can up grade this option and I could go about it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MANIAK RACING View Post
    Well that sucks ???? would you happen to know if we can up grade this option and I could go about it?
    I would imagine that the cost to upgrade that old machine would be prohibitive, if it could be done at all.
    It is not just a software upgrade, it would involve hardware as well.
    That machine would have to be at least 30 years old surely?
    Cheers
    Brian.

Downloads
    Uploads

as Mr. broby adviced, check your OSP Data Management Card first. There is a little chance about this option installed on your machine.
    The alarm message could be misleading sometimes. Maybe control wants low gear engaged and half-brake engaged before M19 . . .

Downloads
    Uploads

hy until you figure it out about the M19, you could use a shaft into the back of your spindle ( thus into the hydra cilinder hole ) with few hundreds tolerance, with a flange with through holes ( so to screw it to the frontal of the hydra cilinder ), then continue outside the machine, into a classical mechanical divider

this should increase rigidity near the far end of the spindle, and may be enough to cut a few splines

if the mechanical divider has play in it, use it with a divider disc that is in good condition

for splines, you have to align the tool shank concentric with the spindle ( use a coax ), and the insert middle plane coplanar with machine ZX plane ( use a dial ); ding for more infos

also, your machine should be able to feed without rpm, and this may require an interlock

what are the spline dimensions ? however, be carefull, not to trash your machine, because a lathe is not designed for 'rough spline-ing'; if splines are relatively small, consider trying rotary broaching

why not outsource these splines ? kindly

Last edited by deadlykitten; 02-01-2021 at 02:35 AM.
    we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Thanx guys, I will check tomorrow in my electric cabinet see what we have, I do have a pull broach machine with the most splines we use for the Axles, but everyone is swapping from our 1.708" 40 spline to a little larger diam. And 45 splines, and wanted to see if I can make a few on the lathe since the pull broach price is sky high.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get electric type spindle orientation added to your machine as it is a software only option. The Pin type has both software and hardware, so probably not possible. The base software update will probably cost you around $2500 so if you are going to do it, you should consider any other options you would like as the same time such as Cycle Time Reduction function, first level memory expansion (no hardware), NC work counter,tool life management, Load Monitor, Additional tool offsets, etc. that are software only. They can do multiple options as the same time and save you big $ over doing them individually.

Doing a large amount of splines will cause your thrust bearings to heat up so use caution so as not to roast them. Rotary broaching is an option, but when I attempted a 24 pitch spline at a ~1 inch diameter, the spline tool failed even when stepping it up in diameter with two different spline tools. (4140)

Good luck!

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.