Need Help! Melted spindle belt on Okuma LB10M

Thread: Melted spindle belt on Okuma LB10M

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Melted spindle belt on Okuma LB10M

Okuma LB10M - OSP5000L-G

In automatic mode and unattended, it happens main spindle get physical blocked, because of broken tool. Issue is that the spindle drive, just continue. Result is a burned or melted spindle belt.
    I assume I could tighten the belt more, so I would get a drive overload fault. But, that would probably just lead to further mechanical damage.

There is an encoder on the main spindle, so the machine do "see" spindle is not rotating. Anyway, it just keeps the drive ON, I believe there must be a fault or a parameter that is set wrong.

My operator say he do not know how to avoid this problem.

I have searched, but not been able to find information regarding this issue. Very likely I am not using the correct key words.
    Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Melted spindle belt on Okuma LB10M

check the OSP Data Management Card if your lathe has the option of load monitor on. This would be the best way to detect the tool breakage. Normally if the option is on, there is separate panel for load monitor: push buttons and load meters ( analog for this old machine ).

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Melted spindle belt on Okuma LB10M

Looks like my machine is too old (mid 80'th). I guess I am one of few on this planet using such old machine.

I only have analog gauges, on right side of operator panel. (picture attached)
    But, I did discover there is an "overload detection" function on the Z-axis. That should sense a broken tool, at least way before my drive belt start to melt down.
    I will try and implement this function into my code.
    For others that might have interest in this function, I have attached the pages from the manual, "special functions".

I am sure this will prevent me for having to exchange another of those expensive spindle belts. Great !

Thank you very much for pointing me in right direction ;-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Melted spindle belt on Okuma LB10M-load-monitor-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files