OSP7000L Communications

Thread: OSP7000L Communications

Downloads
    Uploads

Default OSP7000L Communications

All

I have a post on this forum about IGF but figured Id start a seperate thread to ask my other questions.

What software, cables, etc to I need tto communicate to this machine? It is 25 pin RS232. Does anyone have a video or step by step instructions for this? The last Okuma I ran was basically permanantly hooked to a vintage PC that was used to upload programs. How do I do this in the modern age? I see many USB and wireless adapters avialable but what software does the PC need?

In short Im completely lost, and need a very remedial lesson on how to write and upload programs. All the CNC work Ive done since trade school in the mid 90s has been on Hurco and EZ Trak conversational machines and has been done at the console. As stated in my other post all my shop parts are very simple

I do have Autodesk sofware as well as a seat of BobCad V29 with Predator Editor

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OSP7000L Communications

The machine has floppy drives and can read DOS disks, so files can easily be transferred that way.

That being said, you will need either a PC with a 9 or 25 pin port in order to communicate or else you will need to get a USB to serial port adapter and load the proper drivers into your PC to get the port working. Once working, you will need to build a special cable for the machine. The easiest is to use software handshaking (XON/XOFF) and connect TXD to RXD and RXD to TXD. The GND to GND. On the machine end, pins 6+8+20 will need to be jumpered together.

I normally use 9600 Baud, Even parity, 7 bits, and 2 stop bits for settings. When changing settings, either hit the backup key or wait 2.5 minutes for settings to be backed up and then power completely off at the breaker as well for at least 30 seconds to let the RS board properly reset. Otherwise it may not go to the new settings on boot up.

Match the setting on your PC communication software. I think Predator has some communication software built in doesn't it?

You will need to check your parameters in the machine for proper setting:

Word 45=0
    54=1
    39=9600

Bit#1 =01001011
    #12= 00100010

Try punching a file out of the machine first. This will show you the proper format to send back when transmitting. Get your PC ready to receive and then:

PIP > PUNCH A.MIN > WRITE (A.min is whatever your file is that you want to punch)

In order to read a file:

PIP > READ A.MIN,B.MIN > WRITE This will read in A.MIN and rename it to B.MIN as it does it - thereby not overwriting your original file.

Note on common errors:

Timeout error = you are not getting the signal to transmit.
    Scrambled characters = baud rates are mismatched
    Missing characters = XON/XOFF not set correctly
    IGF files cannot be sent thru RS232 or floppy because they have a non ASCII character set.

Best regards,

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OSP7000L Communications

Quote Originally Posted by rb07565 View Post
    I do have Autodesk sofware as well as a seat of BobCad V29 with Predator Editor
    ...depending on Predator software License you have should be able to transmit/receive programs. I have V23 BC and do this...... Open Predator or click on "Modules" in BC then click "Edit CNC"

OSP7000L Communications-edit-cnc-jpg

then DNC.>..Properties will get you into were you need be to set Baud rate, Stop bit etc..

OSP7000L Communications-dnc-properties-jpg