1997 Okuma LB15II IGF

Thread: 1997 Okuma LB15II IGF

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1997 Okuma LB15II IGF

All

I have 1997 Okuma LB15 with OSP7000L control. I bought the machine at auction and am just getting it fixed up and going. It doesnt have IGF programming but I would very much like it to. We are a repair and short run job shaop and 99% of our parts are very simple an extremely low in qty. I do have CAM software but for some of these simple parts, I think it would take me longer to draw them than to program them at the console, Im just not that proficient with it. On a machine of this vintage, is this something that can be purchased or turned on through Okuma?

I also did a quick search on this forum and one individual was talking about Kipware conversational software? It looks handy for the price (for my needs anyway), does anyone have any feedback regarding this route? I would rather have the IGF enabled on my machine but should that not be feasable I am looking at this as an option.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1997 Okuma LB15II IGF

hy, is it possible to ask your local okuma dealer for quoting igf ? far as i have heared, there is morris-midwest around there

if so, means that you are "neighbours" give them a call, at least to have an idea about the price difference, between kipware & igf

take a few drawings that are representative for your shop, go to kipware, request them to create the programs, if you wish take a look how they do it, and see what happens; ask for a trial to test the program; it may be possible that you will find nice people, talented, and put you up to speed, for a few bucks

i have looked over the videos shared by kipware; they have solutions for cutting, estimation, costs, etc ... at least for cutting, their conversational is elaborated to a level that is comparable to actual okuma igf ( thus be sure that the actual igf version is more powerful and easier to use, then the igf for 1997 lb15 )

i have written codes for long series for a few years, and only since last year i started to look into solutions for setups that are changed frequently

this being said, i can tell you that a conversational is not able to push an okuma machine as far as it is possible, and also, there are CAMs capable of doing crazy stuff, but they cost and require an accomodation time

consider to use a simple pc software, and implement a conection between your pc and cnc for fast file transfer

however, before everything else, be sure to check the available memory size on your cnc, because there had been issues with old cncs that could not run big problems, and this requires special attention, because it may require to cut your programs in half, and also it may require costly cnc upgrades

what is the maximum program size that your machine can select & execute ? kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

there is a trial igf available here : https://www.okumaaustralia.com.au/cu...ware-downloads

it seems that it is not generating the code, thus is locked ( trial version )

so, maybe is a better idea to ask morris-midwest for an actual igf version that is pc compatible, instead of looking for the igf version for your cnc

if this would work, then you may use the latest igf software, on a remote pc, then send files to your lathe ... think about it / kindly

ps :i don't know if latest igf is capable of delivering code that is compatible with your cnc, but i believe that it should work ... so look for an off-line igf, pc compatible, and test it

it may be possible that the actual igf version for pc, to be cheaper than the igf version for your lathe ... however, kipware may be the cheapest

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your reply, lets start at the beginning. I have no idea of the file size. I have almost zero experience with this kinda thing. I can program some machines at the console (hurco machines) but dont know how to write, connect, send or recieve programs via PC. I have a seat of BobCad and a seat of AutoDesk with Fusion avialable. I have programmed some CNC lathes years ago but I wrote the programs longhand then sent them through an antique dedicated PC that was hooked to the machine. I need all the info you can give me as far as cables, PC software, and how to make them talk to eachother. What PC program do I use to generate the program if it were just a simple one I wanted to write long hand, I have a rough understanding of code.

Downloads
    Uploads

hy rb after i have shared my 1st reply in here, i actually come back and added the part about memory size : the reason why i have done it, is that i have seen many hitting into it, without being aware, then struggling for a solution, then being "extraordinary happy" about the required implementation costs ... somehow, i feelt that maybe you are not aware of this

on this forum are threads about problems related to connections and file size, conections that failed, or machine upgrades, like connection hardware, memory increasing, etc, and most of them seem to be unsolved, or maybe the solution had not been shared

what i think :
    1) if you are lucky, someone may help you to configure your connection today, then tomorrow morning you may get a trial software from kipware, and tommorow night you will have your 1st part machined
    2) find a okuma person near you that has experience with your type of machine :
    2.1) a local shop arround your area
    2.2) your local okuma representative
    2.3) try to reach dave karlstad, a guy that has at least one lb15, and shared his story here : https://www.okuma.com/case-study-fro...-cutting-chips

if possible, try to avoid drip-feed conections ( this requires a live permanent connection with a pc ), and look for the possibilities to load the file inside the machine, then select it ( this does not require a conection with a pc; however, it may be good to be able to send files from a pc to your cnc )

you may consider investing in a low-cost conection, and, in time, upgrade it to a faster one

wrote the programs longhand then sent them through an antique dedicated PC that was hooked to the machine
    i don't have experience with your type of cnc, but i strongly advice you to look for different available solutions; what others have done, etc; i don't know, maybe those lb15i' are pretty common arround usa, especially for those veterans that love machining

I have no idea of the file size.
    if your machine can start & select a file, just input a file and gradually increase its size, until the machine won't be able to select & run it; can you do this ?

if you can load programs inside your machine, and you send me a drawing, i can conect remotly from home to a cnc, create your program in igf, then send it to you ... of couse, this is not a long-run solution, but it is possible

I have a rough understanding of code
    is ok, when it comes to code debugging, especially for simple parts, i'am allready bored with it

so, configure your connection ...

about the conversational, if you wish, please share a few files ( so i could have a clue about your particularities ), and i may be able to help you with a nice thing, but only if you can wait a few more weeks / kindly