should C axis deliver a hexagon with 'rounded' sides ?

Thread: should C axis deliver a hexagon with 'rounded' sides ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default should C axis deliver a hexagon with 'rounded' sides ?

hy, recently i used the C axis to get a hexagon, and it come out a bit round; pls check atached; is it normal ?

so far i did not noticed this, and a while ago i was told by the dealer that C axis is not delivering 'true' lines

code is ok, it uses G101, endmill o12 for sw27 / kindly

Similar Threads:
    we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: should C axis deliver a hexagon with 'rounded' sides ?

hy mr wizard, hy guys

It will definitely make straight lines
    yes, of course ... usually i generate the toolpath on tool center and use Xoffset-40, but now i tried to take a shortcut, by having the toolpath = part, and measuring the tool towards x-; as a result, the sides ended up a little rounded, but i didn't foreseen it, i only realized this a few seconds ago also, before milling it, i turned the od in such a manner, that the edges of the hexagon would be rounded, not sharp; in the end, the hexagon is more tangent at each corner, and looks nice, smooth ...

If it is using G101 and not getting straight lines, your tool comp is either over or undersized
    if i may, if tool comp is not correct, when milling a hexagon, then maybe the final shape would be proportional, scaled

It is my understanding that even on a lathe with polygon turning functions, producing perfectly parallel sides using polygon turning on a lathe without a Y axis is not possible
    hy giant is all about tolerances, and when it comes to polygon turning, loci shape is the one that can predict deviation ( attached ) : for example, for a sw27, for tool diameter range o20 to o100, deviations range will be 0.351 to 0.032

a tool o50 will deliver a deviation of 0.1, and this deviation can be reduced by 13%, only by chamfering the corners (0.6chamfer) of the hexagon, in order to remove the sharp edges; the chamfering operation can be done by turning the od of the material at o30.6 before polygon-turning, and repeating the od turning after that, in order to remove the burrs

also, there is no need to have this function installed, as long as the operation is done in one-shot, without restarting / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

hy mr wizard, so far i don't have an optimized code for milling hexagons, so i use a toolpath that is on tool center, Xoffset=-40, no compensation, and code looks like this :

hex ( rough. ) vtwox or vzshx = 1.2
    hex ( rough. ) vtwox or vzshx = 0.6
    hex ( finish ) vtwox or vzshx = 0

if final size is not ok, i edit x_offset ...

if i need to deliver a hexagon with a different size, i edit 2-3 values inside a soubroutine, because the hexagon is being cut by running same soubroutine 6 times, shifting C-origin by 360/6

if i need to deliver only 2 flats, i will call the soubroutine only 2 times, shifting C-origin by 360/2

it is a way to deliver flats ( rough & finish ), that messes with offsets ( or spindle center, when vtwox>10 ) instead of using comp

Try not to melt your igloo while thinking about this...
    i will look into it, and let you know how the temperature goes

Downloads
    Uploads

the only green thing in here is you