Cadet 4020 help

Thread: Cadet 4020 help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cadet 4020 help

I am new to Okuma, or Fanuc for that matter. I have two 4020 Cadet with OSP5020M controls. These are new to me. Had the spindle in one of them rebuilt. I am curious about the proper tension for the spindle belt. I assume I will need to re-position/orient the rebuilt spindle for tool change. I have read through all the manuals and don't see any mention of it.

Thanks,
    Dan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

To my knowledge it is simmilar build to the european version (esv4020 by the label, EurocenterV50). On those machines there is a fine sprout gear like piece on the spindle near to the v-belt section. That piece is being watched by the rotary encoder (magnetic device) to provide accurate spindle position info. The spindle reference point should be a hole or added mass to the encoder ring or a missing teeth.the spindle orientation offset is stored In a parameter.
    The proper distance between the rotary encoder and the encoder ring is crucial so as the runout of the encoder ring. Setting inproper distance between the ring and the encoder cause an error message on orientation command because of the abnormal feedback from the encoder . So dont panic on first attempt failure, just use some spacers while thightenig down the encoder. As far as i can recall our machine neded about 0.2mm gap. Smart move to write down the working gap size to some obvios place in some relevant part in the manual like the spindle assembly/parts list section so it goes faster next time ,You have to move the encoder.
    If the spindle renew guys do proper job, they have marked the spindle and the encoder ring to each other so they were reassembled in the same angular position as it was before disassembly for renewal so it does not needs any adjustment for spindle orientation offset. Same thing with the runout of the ring cus the encoder is a bit#h I must say.

For the belt tension, You really need to feel that, besides take a look at the power draw of the spindle on the full rpm spectrum and listen for abnormal sound from the motor or the sindle. After all these loook fine, take the biggest torque requirement tool used to be used on that machine and try it out, like a big roughing facemill, if that pass i guess your done, try not to overthighten the belts because a bounch of other problems can arise from that.
    Hope I was helpful

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cadet 4020 help

hello solid-brass, i initialy had no idea, but after reading ungie's posts, i suggest you should tension the belt, carefully looking how the arbor bends ( use a test indicator ); bending should occur in 2 steps : 1st will take out clearances, and 2nd means too much tension

you should "feel" when you are close to step 2, then reverse a bit

like ungie said, start the spindle, check the range and S monitor value; use a high-resolution tachometer ( maybe it exists ), and check rpm for driven and driving

if all ok, repeat during a " heavy " cut

it may be possible that the belt will work nice at constant rpm, but tend to slip during acceleration ( or does the belt has teeth ? ) ... hmm, i know someone who uses belts; i will try to ask him / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Totally agree.
    Thanx for the extension.
    I'll try the displacement measuring methood too next time I get in to some mission critical tension stuff

Downloads
    Uploads

hy solid, i don't know if you are still intersted in this ... you have to apply a force at the middle of the belt, and measure how much the belt moves among the force direction

recently, during a setup, it was required to achieve 2mm deviation when applying 5kg

I have read through all the manuals and don't see any mention of it
    check attached ( image & pdf's ), also next video

after many hours of working, a belt gets loose, and to prevent associated effects, some power transmisions have a hidraulic system that keeps the belt tensioned regardless of wear ... well, it can't do it 4ever, but you got the idea / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the info. I ended up just putting the tension close to where the original bolt location was with the older belt. The old belt wasn't worn out by any means. I just put a new belt on since I had the head torn apart that far. This Okuma has only been cutting wood so no real spindle load. I watched the belt while running at multiple different rpms and during accel/deccel and didn't notice any slipping.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have another 4020 that is getting the spindle rebuilt that is going to be used mostly for heavy cuts in 4140 and 416, so I will defiantly be keeping an eye on the belt for slipping. Thanks again for the help. Side note.... I have been spoiled with my newer Haas and Mori's. Having to make the surfacing programs small enough to fit on these old Okumas has been driving me nuts.

Downloads
    Uploads

keeping an eye on the belt for slipping
    hy, it would be helpfull if the belt would be geared; just saying, i don't know that machine

Having to make the surfacing programs small enough to fit on these old Okumas has been driving me nuts
    there had been some recent discussions about improving memory size on older machine, portioning programs, using sdf, etc; for example, only to have a clue, look for the discusions(threads) in which countryguy828 has recent replies, because he is/was in the same situation; talk with kurmay about your model, he may help you; i can't be specific, because i don't have experience with limited memory cncs / kindly

ps : if there is a newer hass/mori, maybe is also possible to purchase a mem upgrade 4 the okuma, considering that available upgrades are enough for your needs