Need Help! Can't read M8

Thread: Can't read M8

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can't read M8

Greetings, fellow Okumans. 1999 Okuma MX-45, OSP-U10M control. The program execution stops when M8 is encountered. The coolant pump WILL come on when the front panel button is pressed. Even after turning it on manually, M8 does not show as active on the BLOCK DATA screen. In manual mode, the button for coolant works, but MDI M8 command does not. All other related commands, M12, M51, M339, work with MDI commands, but not M8. Powering down & back up will fix it for one or two tools, then it goes back to this condition. Our best local service guy has never seen this before. We are at a loss. Anyone see this, or have an idea. Thanks.
    Scott

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can't read M8

Well, I feel a bit stupid about this but I'll answer my own question in case it helps someone else someday. There's an air actuated door between the work envelope and the tool magazine that's kind of a flimsy mechanism and hard to keep clean. The switch that confirms the door is closed was dirty and out of adjustment, so it wasn't sending the signal that t was closed. This disabled the M8 command. What threw us was the machine would run fine with the M8 command deleted. So many chips can get thrown up there if running with that door open it seems coolant would be the least worry. Anyway, cleaning and readjusting that switch was all that was needed.