Okuma Genos M560 - Help, Can't get spindle to run, what am i doing wrong????

Thread: Okuma Genos M560 - Help, Can't get spindle to run, what am i doing wrong????

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Okuma Genos M560 - Help, Can't get spindle to run, what am i doing wrong????

Hey Guys,

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid. I just got this Okuma Genos M560 and I'm not that familiar with the control.
    The problem is I've been unsuccessful at getting the spindle to run. The machine is lightly used and has been sitting in storage for a year. I saw it running when I bought it just before putting it in storage. I just got the machine brought into my shop from storage a few weeks ago and have been playing around trying to figure out the control. I can jog all the axis, command G30P1 and it moves all axis to home, can turn blow air on/off, etc. , but when I command S500M3 I get no spindle movement and no alarms. The icon in the top left corner of screen flashes yellow as if the machine is doing something but the spindle don't rotate at all. Can't get it to spin up using the manual buttons or the spindle orientation.

If I put the machine into machine lock and do the S500M3 it shows the spindle turning CW (on screen) like it should.

I checked the ATC operation and it's at Seq 1. And I do have a tool loaded in the spindle.

OK, what am I doing wrong??

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma Genos M560 - Help, Can't get spindle to run, what am i doing wrong????

Do you have the tool clamp and door closed signals? Are you using the correct pull stud?

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma Genos M560 - Help, Can't get spindle to run, what am i doing wrong????

Do you have the tool you are calling up registered in the tool data page?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    Do you have the tool clamp and door closed signals? Are you using the correct pull stud?
    I get a green light next to the tool clamp button on the spindle. When can i look for the door closed signal?
    The tooling is from previous owner so pull stud should be ok.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
    Do you have the tool you are calling up registered in the tool data page?
    The previous owner removed all the physical tools from the magazine but left them in the control. So, I detached all the tools in the magazine. I tried to detach the tool in the spindle but the control gave me an error. "Cannot detach active tool" i think it said. So it still shows a tool "tool # 150" in the spindle. Next tool is "NONE".

I tried to do a toolchange G111, it got to about seq13 and errored out due to not being able to orient the spindle. Went into machine operation and backed out the toolchange.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What conditions will prevent the spindle from running?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's usually a limit switch, tool clamped, no tool exist, unclamp switch etc. When you hit cycle start for the spindle in MDI mode is there any alarm? Try hitting display change and page down to Machine Diagnostic. That might help describe what is going on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
    It's usually a limit switch, tool clamped, no tool exist, unclamp switch etc. When you hit cycle start for the spindle in MDI mode is there any alarm? Try hitting display change and page down to Machine Diagnostic. That might help describe what is going on.
    No alarm. Just sits there with the machine status flashing yellow. I'm not at the machine right now but I'll look for the diagnostic page later tonight. Thank you very much for the help.

Downloads
    Uploads

I tried to do a toolchange G111, it got to about seq13 and errored out due to not being able to orient the spindle. Went into machine operation and backed out the toolchange
    hi, it may be possible that your spindle can not reference it's zero position

at least for lathes, this is a must / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Relief!!!
    Got it figured out...
    Found that Diagnostics page Factory Guy mentioned. That helped. Seems the clamp signal was not on when the tool was in spindle. Most likely from dried oil? in the taper or pull stud area from the machine sitting in storage. Cleaned all that out and worked the clamp/unclamp mechanism several times and now I can get the spindle to run. As a side note to someone troubleshooting this kinda thing, i also noticed the time the hydraulic unit runs when clamping the tool was much longer before when it wasn't working correctly and now it only runs a couple seconds to clamp. The other thing I noticed is the orange light on the tool change button was staying lit before. Now the light goes off after one cycle.

Thank You everyone for the help. Much Appreciated

Downloads
    Uploads

hi, on some models, if the hydraulic is running too much, then a safety switch raises inside the electrical cabinet, so to avoid burning the pump

if your machine would behave the same, than it may make you wonder why the switch is moving; maybe, on your model, you simply have a timer ? however, there should be an error about hidraulic time-out

i mean that it is a bit weird, i also had encountered a similar problem, but the machine was showing an alarm

about dried oil, i like to work clean, and, from time to time, i remove all tools from the atc, clean the pots and tool tapers, spindle taper, etc / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...