turning low carbon steel : 550M/min 2.6doc f0.35 spindle load 65% ; Genos

Thread: turning low carbon steel : 550M/min 2.6doc f0.35 spindle load 65% ; Genos

Downloads
    Uploads

Default turning low carbon steel : 550M/min 2.6doc f0.35 spindle load 65% ; Genos

hello, i recently started a setup, and i am still adjusting it

i am turning some low carbon steel, from diameter 127 to 112 :
    ... roughing at 1400rpm, f0.35, doc2.6 ( 550M/min )
    ... finishing at 2000, f0.22, doc1 ( 700M/min )

machine and inserts are performing nice, thus there is a nice balance

problem is that material is not uniform, and some parts are machined ok, while on others i have a lot of long chips, that are wrapping very-very fast arround tool and part

to handle this :
    ... i started using higher clearances between passes: when tool reaches end of cut, instead of X0.6 Z0.3 G91 i have X80 Z0.3 G91: like this, wrapped chips may fall from the tool
    ... i started cutting discontinous : instead of G01 Z-50 i use "G01 Z-20" + "Z-19" + "Z-50", so to break the long chips along the cut
    *in the end, the long chips did not dissapeard completly, but at least i reduced the wraping frequency

material face is tilted, from the band saw, and at this speed, when the insert makes contact with the material, it vibrates, etc : to handle this, i enter smooth at f0.1, and after that i accelerate the feed inside the material

please, what else should be done ? kindly

higher rpm = lower resistance; check this from the china-town ( chun li, li gung, jet li, bruce lee, ): This can be explained that the high-speed cutting process is much faster than normal cutting process, and the chip-tool interface may occur mutation slip and adiabatic shear which inhibits the occurrence of the stain hardening process, so cutting forces are decreased with the increase of cutting speed

Similar Threads:
    we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: turning : 550M/min 2.6doc f0.35 50%spindle_load, in low carbon steel; Genos

hello i am not referring to those classical vibrations that lead to wavy part aspect, but to the vibrations caused by cutting edge making contact with the part

thus the shock when tool enters the material, especially at 1st cut, when it hits the surface layer ( the crust )

i tried to minimize the number of such contacts, and also reduce the specs in such areas

material is not uniform, and these differences are causing effects that are increased with higher speeds; if i would cut it at lower rpm, etc, i would definetly break the chips more often, but also program time would be longer

i am looking for some tips to eliminate ocasional wrapping at higher rpms

i once heared that high pressure cooled coolant does wonders, but i don't have such equipment / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: turning : 550M/min 2.6doc f0.35 50%spindle_load, in low carbon steel; Genos

hello hfjbuis

If you allready use coolant, I don't think extra cool coolant will help!
    idea is to use coolant force to break the chips, or at least to reduce the wrapping phenomen

this requires high coolant pressure system, and at least one coolant nozzle pretty close to the cutting edge

if coolant nozzle is away from the cutting edge, then coolant force is lost, because it is scattered

on a normal setup, you simply put a nozzle, and look for coolant to flash the cutting edge, without much care if a lot of coolant is not hitting the cutting edge

depending on setup, some tools require high coolant debit, while other require low coolant debit, that will actually wash the tool, keeping it "flooded"

Just stopping the feed for a short period of time would break the chip
    yup, i am doing this type of peck turning; more precisely, i don't stop, because this will lead to tool friction, but going diagonally backwards X+0.3 Z+1.2 G91

is like a mini-machine-gun

If, in the end, you have to lower the turning speed, you could try a larger cut/rpm or just cut deeper to partially compensate for the extra duration
    yup, i am looking for another winning combination; ZS loads are pretty high, so i will simply shift the load from one axis to another; i don't know / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

hello hjfbuis, i played a bit with this setup: material is not uniform, so i could not keep the high rpms on all the time

in the end i almost halved some rpms, and increased docs wherever possible

walter tiger's performed better

to gain back some time, i had speed up the milling operation ...

on many setups i hit into trouble because of material not being homogenuous, so i lower the specs

a bit here, a bit there, you know, the routine kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

hello, i restarted this setup recently

i changed it a bit here-there, but mostly there is a change that targets a classical operation : facing + chamfering + od, and this change made a difference

generally speacking, facing & chamfering are operations with smaller doc, and they are done at the begining

if doc is small, chips won't break, so the tool will begin cutting the od with wrapped chips arround it

also, if the chamfer is 0.5x45*, it requires a small feed ( that won't break the chips ), so the spindle to rotate a few times; otherwise, if the feed is high ( so to break the chips ), then the chamfer won't look estethic

so i re-maped this toolpath; pls check attached :
    ... black : rapid ( not cuting ) movemenents
    ... yellow : feed ( cutting ) movements

now, chips are wrapping less often, tool is clean : stability has raised i believe that this is the simplest change that i made so far, with nice effects

spindle load is arround 70 - 85 %; if i would replicate this setup on a dual turret lathe, it may need a stronger spindle

setup requires more attention, because inserts are breaking suddenly

i use walter 6059952; specs are attached / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

hello hjfbus so far, i was told once that okuma's are rigid enough to go 2x faster then the recomanded speed

You can run 5 times the speed my (hobby) insert "allows"
    i read it many times, but only now i understood it : you mean that i go 5x faster than your real setup

so far, i thought that you sugest me to run each insert 5x faster than the recomandation : something like, if on the insert box is written 170, i may go 5*170

and, by hobby, i believed that you do this all the time, like a hobby

so i said to my self : this guy pushes setups like crazy

they are 7 times more expensive
    pls, what is their price in your area ? 10euro / insert

those inserts are for steel with low carbon, so this is why they can achieve such high speeds

for steel with normal / higher carbon, kyocera has a nice product; pls check attaced : 300M/min is standard recomandation

to spare you some time, try to test 2-3 inserts, or buy a box of wnmg080408ph ca525 ( attached pdf, bottom position )

I guess the insert breaks at the chamfer pass when the insert hits the rough face and the cutting depth (first pass) changes from low to high to low (edge).
    no, it does not break there, because it is entering the material at V300 F0.1, thus lower specs to reduce the entrance shock

it breaks on the od, where it is at V500-600 F0.35

If so, you may be hitting the resonance frequency of the tool or workpiece
    no, on this setup i did not resonate; but i did once, with grooving inserts width 6mm entire machine started to vibrate

The new tool path is slightly less efficient!
    yes, it is a bit longer, but there are much less machine stops, so to clean the tool

at this point, i feel i coud go a bit faster, but if the operator is not paying atention, it may blow up the toolholder

it is hard to follow this setup when there is noise, and if you look at load monitor, so to see when the effort raises, it is too late; it requires a trained person

Great to see that small changes can solve large problems

it is kind of a luck, and this time it worked / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

hello

I can't find this (walter 6059952) insert in Europe but could order them by E-bay
    i also checked, and it seems that there is no walter/kyocera dealer in netherlands

try intemediate vendors, maybe hoffhman ?

arround here, both inserts are cca10euro

My lathe(s) can't handle the speed needed to run your inserts within spec
    no worry, is not always about keeping it within spec; lower rpm means higher feed and/or doc

however, with such inserts, you should observe longer tool life, thus the tool is more reliable, even if it is used at a lower speed

I only make prototypes and time or finish is never an issue, only the dimensions should be right
    with shuch short setups, is a different challenge

so far i run mainly long series ( weeks / months ), so i have conditions to test different inserts

0.01 mm doc
    generally, i work with bigger doc, but the cnc spits all parts with dimensions inside 0.01 tolerance : for example, if part dimension is 80+0.1, then a lot of parts will be machined at 80.05±0.01

however, recently i had to deliver some parts, by machining at 0.02doc, and i used cbn inserts, so to obtain a nice surface, even if doc was small

just saying ... so far i did not worked a lot with such small docs

i wasn't aware that production is so challenging and for success you need a bit luck and a lot perseverance!
    it is a mix in the mix / kindly