Problem Broaching on B300-II

Thread: Broaching on B300-II

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Broaching on B300-II

Our programmer and supervisor recently left our company and I've been tasked with taking over the fabrication department. I have a machining background but not much experience with macros, variables, or sub programs. Can someone help me figure out the broaching sequence on this machine? I'm not sure what other info to put here for now as I'm not even sure what the starting point would be.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Broaching on B300-II

Our programmer and supervisor recently left our company and I've been tasked with taking over the fabrication department
    Hi where are they ? where did they go ?

the person who tolled you to handle this, has a clue about a minimal instruction course ?

it seems that you know technology, but you don't know programing

the reason why the superviser and the programer left, may be because your ( other ) supervisor is hopeless ... pls, say that i am wrong

in this thread you can find some infos about broaching : https://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/309768-cnc.html

kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

Use the G85 cycle to broach. The DOC will be something like .005" and your feed rate will be in IPM something less than your rapid. Use M19 to orientate the spindle but C-axis (M110) would be preferred if you have it.

WTO, EXSYS and others have a broaching head if you need to do a lot of broaching. You can tax the ballscrews and thrust bearings if you try to do splines, etc. if you broach for long periods of time. You will need to broach into a groove or through the part in order to be successful.

Ive got a sample around here somewhere if you need it.

Best regards,

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the supervisor was hopeless and the programmer had to pick up a lot of his slack. They both got jobs with better pay. I went to school for machine tool technology and have a solid understanding of programming, I just set up a job on our other multus with very little help and it is running beautifully (mind you I haven't really touched many machines in the past year and a half, mostly been doing CAD and CMM programming). I am fully capable and have been able to wrap my head around everything that has been thrown my way thus far, but this broaching operation has really stumped me. It was jacked up from the get go and I'm having to work backwards into someone else's train of thought. There are X shifts and huge offsets. It was in the middle of setup when the programmer left and the machine has been down since. I will reply back tomorrow with some of the code. It's definitely not using a G85, it calls up a subprogram, broaches, back to main program, rotates C 180, then goes back to the subprogram to broach the other side. I think it may do that a total of 4 times. Common variables were used to control the dimensions of the broach.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the first section of code

(V19 LOCKING PIECE SLOT TOP SHIFT)
    (V20 LOCKING PIECE SLOT BOTTOM SHIFT)
    (V21 LOCKING PIECE SLOT WIDTH ADJUST)
    IF[ABS[V19] GT .250] NALMB
    IF[ABS[V20] GT .250] NALMB
    IF[ABS[V21] GT .250] NALMB
    G20 HP=4
    G15 H1
    N216 TD=070016 M323
    TG=1 MT=1
    M110
    M804 M175
    G0 Z25.4 Y-3.7
    G0 C359.05 (***C-MOVE***)
    M147
    G94
    X60.
    M808
    G138
    G0 X1.6 Y-3.700
    Z2.54
    M867 (CAS OFF)
    (BROACH SUB TOP LEFT CORNER)
    (XPRE= X POS INSIDE SHAPE)
    (XSRT= X START POSITION)
    (XTRN= X TRANSITION)
    ()
    (YSRT= Y START POSITION)
    (YTRN= X TRANSITION)
    (YEND= Y END POSITION)
    CALL OSBR1
    $XPRE=1.6 XSRT=2.028+V21 XTRN=1.728+V21
    $YSRT=-3.7 YTRN=-6.125-.175-V19 YEND=-6.425-.175-V19

M866 (CAS ON)

G0 X-1.6 Y-3.700 Z2.54
    M867 (CAS OFF)

Downloads
    Uploads

hey chronos, about broaching, there are some code examples and discussion in that thread that i shared

also mr Wizard is spot on with many things

if you need help with your actual code, i am here / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

hi, i looked a bit over that code

seems that main radial direction is not among X, but among Y axis ( i need confirmation about this : a drawing would help )

also parameters for X and Y are not simetrically declared : XEND and YPRE are missing

in the end is a repetitive task among Y axis, which is also repeated among X : both repetitions are identical, thus there is a motion simetry, but it is declared differently for each axis

it does not mean that the code does not work, but it simply requires 2 different approaches for same behaviour

also there are V19 20 21 : "top shift", "bottom shift" and "width adjust" :
    ... V19 should be replaced with a normal Y offset
    ... V20 is the bottom: you code the bottom with a bit of clearance, and like this, you can eliminate it
    ... V21 seems to be ok

if parameters are not properly declared, then the operator is loaded with extra-tasks

if parameters are changed via common variables, and not via tools offset table, then again, more keystrokess : i would replace V21 with a field from the offset table

each setup requires offset changes, so i like to control most parameters from there; i use common variables only if necessary, so to reduce operator load

kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

hello again, about that broaching code, i would write it like this :

... some initializations
    ... tool change macro
    ... tool offset and fixture zero
    ... broaching soubroutine

broaching soubroutine :
    ... feed interlock
    ... depart ctr : home / safe position + M110
    ... aproach ctr : rapid approach + tool index + coolant
    ... load monitor active among Z axis
    ... parametric content:
    ...... radial_start, radial_end, radial_step
    ...... excentricity
    ...... feed
    ...... Z start , Z end
    ...... how many grooves ( radial paterning )
    ...... operations angular shift ( for example to orientate these grooves relative to another milling operation )

i won't write actual code; i post this, so to reveal some kind of code approach, and the need to gather together all required parameters

in your code, C axis is orientated to 0 before calling the broaching soubroutine, and also there is a rapid positioning :

Code:
    G0 Z25.4 Y-3.7
    G0 C359.05 (***C-MOVE***)
    CALL soubroutine
    is not ok to have linear code followed by parametric content / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to have to hold off on the broaching for now, I think I discovered another issue with the machine.