Need Help! Threading/OSP 5020L

Thread: Threading/OSP 5020L

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Threading/OSP 5020L

I am threading in the IGF mode. I need to enter 11-1/2 TPI and I cannot figure it out. I can only program with IGF. I am not good with entering G code. It is a 2" NPS thread. How do I get a half number entered?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Threading/OSP 5020L

hi jmooresshop i played with a newer version of igf, in metric ( milimiters )

it is possible to switch between tpi and pitch size, and in pitch is possible to input a number that is not an integer

i don't have experience with your machine, but i would input in igf 11 tpi, and after that i would edit the code and replace 11 with 11.5

if it would work, it means that the G code can handle a number that is not an integer, but igf uses a filter for integer

if it would not work, then i would change the arguments of the G code ... i will experiment with this tomorrow, on the machine / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

I tried to modify the g code but it doesn't like my changes. I uploaded the g code as it is before editing.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hi jmooresshop i played with a newer version of igf, in metric ( milimiters )

it is possible to switch between tpi and pitch size, and in pitch is possible to input a number that is not an integer

i don't have experience with your machine, but i would input in igf 11 tpi, and after that i would edit the code and replace 11 with 11.5

if it would work, it means that the G code can handle a number that is not an integer, but igf uses a filter for integer

if it would not work, then i would change the arguments of the G code ... i will experiment with this tomorrow, on the machine / kindly

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Threading/OSP 5020L-osp-g-code-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

not sure if IGF would accept it
    .. but try 23/2

Downloads
    Uploads

I changed the 11 to 11.5 and removed the M7 and 3. It worked fine after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmooresshop View Post
    I tried to modify the g code but it doesn't like my changes. I uploaded the g code as it is before editing.

Downloads
    Uploads

hi, that "M7 and 3" is an M73 ( Infeed pattern ) which is used together with M33 ( Zigzag infeed ) to generate something pretty similar to attached image

it seems that on your control is not possible to use J=value<>integer + M73 and M33

however, if you wish to achieve that movement, i can code it for you

this is another reason why i love custom infeed paterns and stuff : actually is all fine, until you hit a case when you realize that you are not in full control; i stopped using G71 a while ago, and all my threading codes are using G33 + whatever pattern

for me is much easier and faster to code a thread in G33 than test your code or write this post kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Superman is spot on. F2 J23 is your solution. No decimals are allowed in the J command, but F can definitely be 2.

Best regards,

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Superman is spot on. F2 J23 is your solution
    hello mr wizard yup, i am also pretty sure that he was saying exactly the same thing ...

No decimals are allowed in the J command
    seems that J11.5 worked only after removing M73 ... hmm, a bit strange, and i guess i will test it soon

i just read again attached paragraph from G71, and at 1st glance, it seems that J should be an integer, but this is more an interpretation, because it is not clearly specified

Quote Originally Posted by Jmooresshop View Post
    I changed the 11 to 11.5 and removed the M7 and 3. It worked fine after that
    hey jmooresshop, try also to replace M22 with M23 ( check attached ) :
    ... if there is no thread relief, this will smooth out the disengagement of the tool from the material
    ... also this should help reduce the shock associated with turret going among X near the thread end; however, if parameters and code are not corelated, there may be some disadvantages like downtime; i can develop this if you wish / kindly

Downloads
    Uploads

on my lathe, this code delivered a pitch=0.5, even if F & J arguments are real numbers or formulas

however, i am concerned about the depth of cuts, because i specified D=0.300doc and U=0.100finish, and this was the output ( pls check attached ):

0.300 ... 0.300 0.200 0.200 0.172 0.053 0.037 0.038 0.100

blue numbers represent those transition passes between D and U, that are calculated by the controller accordingly to the infeed patterns

generally is all fine, until chatter appears sporadic ( on some intermediary passes, or on non-consecutive parts ) and/or last transition passes have a lower doc then the finish pass, etc

i am not saying that cycles are bad, but sometimes a particular case will require a different approach, and that approach should deliver full control over the passes & infeed, otherwise trials time may increase drastically / kindly

Code:

G50 S2000 M867

G00 Z250

T+5*101 M66 G97 S1000 M03 M42 G00 X55 Z5 M63

G71 X45 Z-25 D0.3 U+2*0.05 H5 F4.678 J4.678*2 M33 M73

G00 Z250 M05 M63

M02