Need Help! Okuma Lathe Green Screen OSP5000 boot issue.

Thread: Okuma Lathe Green Screen OSP5000 boot issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Okuma Lathe Green Screen OSP5000 boot issue.

G'day guys, looking for some help,
    I have a 1981 green screen OSP5000 lathe (LS-30-N) Good machine. Haven't used it a few months. First start today I got this text on the screen see attached. Never seen that before. Re power same issue.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks. Paul.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Okuma Lathe Green Screen  OSP5000 boot issue.-img_1505-jpg   Okuma Lathe Green Screen  OSP5000 boot issue.-img_1501-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma Lathe Green Screen OSP5000 boot issue.

This screen is a bit different than what normally appears on that type of fault as it isn't calling out the access address where the problem is. However, with showing the Japanese writing, that is usually a sign that it is at the base level of the operating system. Your best bet is to reload the software and if that doesn't work (or if the software can't be loaded), then you will need to start looking at the hardware in the machine. If I had state what hardware was going bad, it would be the bubble memory and/or main processor board. If you end up needing any of that stuff, you can contact me at service@cnctechnical.com and I will check our inventory. We have a lot of stock on Okuma boards, drives, etc. and on the older stuff most of it is at surplus pricing as we have so much of it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncts11 View Post
    This screen is a bit different than what normally appears on that type of fault as it isn't calling out the access address where the problem is. However, with showing the Japanese writing, that is usually a sign that it is at the base level of the operating system. Your best bet is to reload the software and if that doesn't work (or if the software can't be loaded), then you will need to start looking at the hardware in the machine. If I had state what hardware was going bad, it would be the bubble memory and/or main processor board. If you end up needing any of that stuff, you can contact me at service@cnctechnical.com and I will check our inventory. We have a lot of stock on Okuma boards, drives, etc. and on the older stuff most of it is at surplus pricing as we have so much of it.
    Thanks, of course this is an early 5000 and is a mono chrome CRT. Reading about here I was thinking bubble memory. Thanks for your offer and good to know you have parts. If the bubble memory is replaced does the OS parameters etc always need to be reloaded? Can they still exist?

It has an old tape reader though we use a BTR with a RS232 to PC. I'm not sure If I have any discs or tapes! I doubt it.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you replace the bubble memory, you will need to initialize the memory, then load the disks, then reload all the parameters, offsets, part programs, etc. Not a fun job, and expensive if you need to buy the software. I'm helping a few other guys from Australia on a semi-regular basis and one of them needed software and I thought it was expensive here until I heard what he was quoted...ridiculous. If you end up needing anything, just contact me directly...be glad to help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, this morning I tried the machine, same deal! Im going to slide all the cards, boards, plugs in and out, and check over the choke windings etc, have a good look over. From there I actually have some spare parts including an entire Okuma LS20 twin turret machines electronics that I picked up from a machine that was being discarded, same vintage and also green screen. That particular machine has two of everything likely including two bubble memory boards in two separate CPU.

cncts11, So you are 100% saying as soon as I switch out bubble memory I will lose all the machine software and parameters? Machine also has IGF conversational programming, I'd like to retain that as its handing for quick jobs.

If needed and sounds like it will be can you help with machine software and parameters, IGF?

Last edited by rotec; 05-30-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you change the bubble memory, you will have to start fresh (initialize, load software, etc.) It may try to power up as the other machine, but once it recognizes different hardware, software, etc. it will give you an alarm (probably a different SBP monitor than what you have now).

Downloads
    Uploads

well playing about last night I dragged out my pile of Okuma LC-20-2T spare parts of which included an entire OSP 5000 controller from another twin turret machine (2 x Z and 2 x X) of the same era, I switched out the bubble memory board and on power up got what appears to be the same result as before. SBP monitor text etc on boot up. I did note the new board was 2Mbit where the original was 4Mbit, I figure this it to accommodate the IGF shop floor programming feature?

So reading your above message my result would be inline with what you said.

Now the good news is while looking in the back of the cabinet I found a nicely preserved brown Okuma box with the original paper tapes for this machine, there was a whole set of them, all labelled and in perfect condition along with a sheet of paper with relevant details pertaining to the machine and the tapes.

Can these tapes be used to reload the machine software and parameters, IGF?

Paul.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are very lucky. Try turn tumblers to position of software reload and try if it starts to read the tape. In case of a succes, You will boot into normal status and then only parameters and setting must be restored.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    You are very lucky. Try turn tumblers to position of software reload and try if it starts to read the tape. In case of a succes, You will boot into normal status and then only parameters and setting must be restored.
    Algida's, thankyou for the reply, just as an experiment I slid out the LS-30 OPUS 5000 board and then slid in the spare board I had which appeared to be the same and even had jumpers in the same spot. I put the matting 2Mbit bubble memory board back with it and then tried booting the machine, I guess I was sort of expecting the machine to think it was an LC20 and show a display albeit with errors. But on boot the screen just remained blank with no message. Pumps and fans were running.

So with that I put it all back together with the original board and am now back to were I was with SBB monitor error.

If a member was to help me through the reloading of the tapes I would be more than willing to compensate them for their time. I'm technically quite capable and good with my hands so accomplishing fine tasks and following instruction is no problem.

thanks Paul
    whats app ID is fb2800 +61 428360100: Skype fb28001 E: paul@rotecaerosport.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Okuma Lathe Green Screen  OSP5000 boot issue.-img_1510-3200-jpgOkuma Lathe Green Screen  OSP5000 boot issue.-img_1511-3200-jpgOkuma Lathe Green Screen  OSP5000 boot issue.-img_1512-3200-jpg

Guys attached are the pics of the tapes and the data sheet and the tape reader. The MC has a retro fitted BTR but all I think all I'll need to do there is disconnect the BTR and put the punch reader ribbon plug back onto the tape reader.

Can someone please explain the correct procedure for loading the tapes and as each tape finishes the process for installing the next tape and so on.

Also I assume there is a specific order the tapes should be loaded.

Paul.