Turning as you know it will never be the same again

Thread: Turning as you know it will never be the same again

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Turning as you know it will never be the same again

PrimeTurning

ps : those are not my words ; be sure that i would have a crazy style of presenting it

Similar Threads:
    we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Turning as you know it will never be the same again

it is a double tool ( l + r)

requires Y

just in the moment when i decided to start machining with double Y OD holders ... thus remove the prism and replace it with a tool / good idea

... this was only from the video, but maybe there is more

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

link : CoroTurn

i was wrong, is not a double tool, but something like a thicker vnmg inside a holder @ 45 degrees

i think that such inserts ( especially the B-type insert ) may boost a roughing operation, by eliminating rapids : between passes, you dont go back at parts front, but alternate feed direction if there is a lot to be roughed, than it may help

besides that, i don't see any general advantage, but some particular situations were this insert may perform better ...

if inserts last longer than anything on the market, than i admit that this product is astonoshing, but if this was true, then sandvick should simply present a new type of carbide

onestly i was expecting something more ... this product was presented as a big steap ahead

ps : to go all directions, than insert plane must be paralel to the Z ... there is missing an important angle .... well, important from the theory perspective, but tools can work without it

please, do you have a setup that may be boosted by this insert ? kindly !

Downloads
    Uploads

if inserts last longer than anything on the market, than i admit that this product is astonoshing, but if this was true, then sandvick should simply present a new type of carbide
    ... or not carbide, but stuff from an ancient meteorite found under the ice of Antarctica

and something tougher than carbide would be a major step ahead at a reasonable price, of course

what else could be a major step ? replacing inserts with tiny controled black holes, that desintegrate the material

just imagine the relations for the "cutting specs" ... i guess that finaly NASA will drop in also "chips" will no longer exist, because they will all be :

1) selected and stored depending on the type of the material, inside colector-center ; this will help recycling
    2) transformed in elemental particles, that will be given back to the great river of live you know, that thing suposed to be vibrating in the universe in this case lathe dimensions will be smaller ...

also, if this technology is reversed, than there will be the 1st 3D printer with elemental-particles-acuracy thus you may print whatever you wish

Downloads
    Uploads

hello, i was searching for my daily enlightenment on youtube, and i found next videos about prime turning, and i rememberd this thread

a while ago i was wondering what makes this tool so special, and i think i got it :
    ... when it goes x- or z-, is like a dnmg with big radius; nothing special here
    ... the key is when it goes x+ or z+, because it acts like a reversed high feed insert, but it won't crash the chips between tool & shoulder, and also it won't leave extra material near the shoulder

i searched a bit more, and there is an application for a dual turret lathe, where 2 such tools begin roughing from the oposite ends of the material towards the center : this is safer than pinch turning, because, if master tool gets damaged, the slave one won't fail too / kindly

ps :
    ... 1st video 1:25 : M61 missing
    ... 2nd video 1:52 : repositioning is done in feed, not rapid
    ... 2nd video 2:46 : motion is discontinued, probably because feed value changes localy

Downloads
    Uploads

hy blastermaster interesting; i would say that prime turning is for general roughing, and roll feed is for high hrc, delivering superior toollife ( compared to a normal cbn ), because the cutting edge is interpolated; because it is not as stable as a classical ( not interpolated process ) maybe the interpolation process can not deliver parts with a tolerance real tight, but this is a class of um precision, towards grinding, in which are few players, compared to the majority

anyway, nice, thx 4 sharing / kindly

I've seen a guy pull out a part doing this, not fun!
    i can craft hard jaws with teeth, biting the material, so no worries

Downloads
    Uploads

i just found this from ceratizit, a similar idea, but the insert, instead of arches, is more poligonal

i like that, when it comes close to the shoulder, it rotates in order to deliver a 'true' corner

who would have thought that with same insert one could tap / drill / ream and do a hair cut for the classical chess pawn

its the M-spindle orienting the tool
    this requires to spec actual controllers, in order to use the M axis

there are some advantages :
    ... one tool instead of many
    ... less setup time, less machine time
    * but only for light force operations, like finishing (big parts), or roughing only small parts / kindly

ps : i also found that video about roughing, where is compared the 'prime turning' with ' high feed towards z- ' and inserts for high ap

Downloads
    Uploads

where to correct if your dimensions are out.
    hy blaster give it a bit of time, and it will work :
    ... get insert dimensions
    ... compute overall insert rotation among entire toolpath ( comp on ), then divide it proportionally for each segment
    ... divide each segment into divisions capable of being replicate by the controller without succumb ( or discuss motion spec with machine provider ), and calculate main pivot position ( B axis center, or live holder center )
    ... generate coordinates; sketch attached i was curious how it would work

being an insert for high hrc, means that it should deliver some tolerances like <0.02eq, and it may be possible, for a part with 2 diameters, to deliver 1st diameter ok, and to always overshoot the 2nd : this means to make a corection inside the toolpath, so to change it's behaviour only among a specific portion of it, thus not in a way that would be possible by using the normal x-offset : of course, it should be possible, but not as easy&fast as for a normal finishing operation

also, in 1st video that you shared :
    ... 0:22 insert is cutting air, thus a lazy programmer, or a simple cam
    ... 0:27 strange noise, i was wondering if M spindle is losing grip because there is a play between a live holder tail and the M chuck

i like that those videos, near the end, have an arcade style music, like, oau, you just get it right / kindly