Newbie Help me connect an Okuma workstation (OSP700M) to PC.

Thread: Help me connect an Okuma workstation (OSP700M) to PC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help me connect an Okuma workstation (OSP700M) to PC.

Hello guys and thank you for your help. I am new in the engineering profession and new in these forums so i would like to apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of the beautiful field of CNC. Furthermore i will try to be as explanatory as possible to compensate for said disadvantage so i would kindly ask for your patience and tolerance to my ignorance.

I just graduated as a mechanical engineer and started a trainee ship in a machine shop a week ago. Before that i had never seen a CNC machine in my life. I just knew from university what they are and a few G-code commands like G00 , G01 etc.I must say i have learned a lot of new things in a week but not enough to dripfeed yet. Said machine shop has a few Okuma workstations bought in the 90s and they lack memory. They want me to drip feed their OSP700M .

This workstation has 2 ports on the side. one says "RS232" and the other says "DNC". Both are 25 pins. I read that i can not drip feed through the RS port but i havent found exactly why yet.

The PC i will connect to the station has windows XP (i think) , a 9 pin RS port and i downloaded a program called dnc4u which is not free but has a 60 day trial period. I connected the DNC port to the PC and tried to establish connection by using the programm. So far i managed to send a program from the machine to the pc but it comes back as giberish and the program tells me that i need to finetune the parameters in order to establish a good connection.

I tried to give the most basic info quickly. I have more detail but i dont know which of those are relevant. so i proceed with my questions and i will fill in the gaps as we go

1) am i right to start with the DNC port (since this is what will be used eventually for drip feed) or should i establish connection through the RS port first?
    2) In the side of the machine appart from the 2 ports there are 2 small levers saying "DNC" above both of them. Also above the first it says "communication" and above the second it says "MEM.REMOT.OPERAZ.CON" i hope this is the "buffer operation" lever it says in the manual . I am getting some errors that say "3218 ALARM C DNC start condition 1. The CNC is not in the normal state when communicating with the protocol A". I dont know how to get the CNC in normal state. Does this has to do with the 2 levers? I dont know in what mode or condition the CNC should be in , in order to connect to pc (manual, auto , something else and what exactly?)
    3) should the program i try to upload start with % then $tTESTPROGRAM.MIN% (if the name of the program in the pc is "testprogram") and then at the last line another % or this is not important?
    4) I managed to view the communication parameters of the machine by typing CMPS after pressing Aux (edit?). they are 9600 baud rate, 1 stop bit, no parity, among others. I put the same numbers in dnc4u parameters as well as the com port properties from the control panel but nothing is improved. Are the machine communication parameters correct or should i tweak them?
    5) since i got giberish can we at least conclude that the com port as well as the cable is correct?
    6) do you know the program i am using? Can you propose something simpler and more robust?

Thank you so much for any effort you spent reading this. I am sorry for my absolute lack of knowledge of CNC but they did ask me to dripfeed nevertheless and i want to do my best . I am reading the manuals and cant find exact answers to the questions i am asking above so i would greatly appreciate your help. Feel free to ask me for clarifications if you feel you want to help.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help me connect an Okuma workstation (OSP700M) to PC.

update from this morning . the machine is used constantly so i have limited time to try out setups and stuff. Following the manual's instructions for "BATCH TRANSFER OF NC PROGRAMS" i try to send a program from the machine to the pc to see if i can connect the 2. the steps i did as described in the manual are:

operation procedure

1) place the DNC COMMUNICATION switch at ON
    2) turn on power supply
    3) Place the BUFFER OPERATION switch at OFF
    4)Select the PROG OPERATION by pressing the EDIT AUX key
    5) Press function key (F8) twice and then F4 (DNC). This displays the DNC screen. In this status batch transfer of the program is possible

At this point i am getting an alarm every time :

"5290 DNC can not transmit , ERROR 4"

In the description of said error in the manual it says :

"An attempt is made to transfer a program in batch although DNC communication is impossible."

specifically for number 4 error it says : "Operation preparation not completed, (DSR is OFF)"

i used anorther cable that i had available but the error persisted

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you used the correct cable configuration?

Okuma OSP5000 G-code file transfer

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i am using a cable i found there . They guys told me that they had previously managed to connect the two with this cable so i am guessing its right.

There is something i can not understand with RS communications being generation usb myself.

Whatever you want to connect you must use a different "patern" ?(ie pin 2 to pin 3 or pin 2 to pin 2 etc)

If yes how is that possible from a practical point of view? every cable needs to be custom made. and how do you know what configuration each RS cable has?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I went to an electrician an made an RC cable with the specifications that are online concerning the pin connections. Still get the same error. Suppose this error is not important, what else can I do to connect the machine to the PC ?

Downloads
    Uploads

1st question......Does the machine have the DNC option fitted ? ....... switches on the side are to be set BEFORE booting up the machine.....both ON is for the DNC to work ( having both switches does not mean the DNC option is fitted )
    - if DNC is NOT optioned on the machine or bubble memory needs expanding......IMO... forget it, to have either is $4 to $6K each, maybe more, maybe not even available

- all machines have PIP transfer as standard ( to READ or PUNCH a complete NC file to & from bubble memory )

Quote Originally Posted by meposo View Post
    The PC i will connect to the station has windows XP (i think) , a 9 pin RS port and i downloaded a program called dnc4u which is not free but has a 60 day trial period. I connected the DNC port to the PC and tried to establish connection by using the programm. So far i managed to send a program from the machine to the pc but it comes back as giberish and the program tells me that i need to finetune the parameters in order to establish a good connection.
    Stop here. Get this bit sorted 1st.....this allows you to have the PC configured to RECEIVE data without too much stuffing around
    - remember that there is RECEIVE settings AND separate SEND parameters
    - & start simple....don't use "Batch Transfers" .....start with a small, simple file

See if this link helps...LINK

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Superman

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. I stumbled on some of your solutions / suggestions on the matter
    for eg. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...a-osp-u10.html
    and Okuma communications - Industrial Forum - eMastercam.com
    before you even answered me and you seem to know your Okumas well. You have already clarified a few dark areas i had in your previous posts , right now i want to use the correct syntax of CN0: like you say in the second post

To answer your question the machine i am trying to dripfeed at the moment has DNC-B installed (25 pin port and switch on the side).

The word documents you sent seem very helpful, i will try to take it slow and from the beginning tomorrow morning when i return to the shop. Today when i was trying to follow these instructions DNC software. CNC and DNC settings for Okuma - Okuma OSP 7000.

"Input/output operations"
    Sending to the PC Go to the 'Edit mode' [F3] (PIP), [F2] (Punch), type file name, then [Return]
    Reading from the PC Go to the 'Edit mode' [F3] (PIP), [F1] (Read), [Return]"

I was getting the error:

320 RS232C terminal not ready ERROR 'write'

Does it mean anything? I will return tomorrow with more info after i go to the shop in the morning. Thank you again so much for your help!

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

terminal not ready can mean either the transfer settings are not correct or the cable is not correct or your handshaking method doesn't match the cable type.
    you don't need to mess with cnc parameters.
    look in the operation manual where it shows the parameters at the back. check the parameters in the
    machine and write those down for baud, data bits, stop bits and parity.
    set your PC software to the same settings then use PIP to read/punch a simple program.
    if the transfer is working but it comes out as junk it means the data bits/stop bits are not correct.
    really all 4 things must match on both PC and CNC (baud/parity/data bits/stop bits) and your handshaking
    method must match the type of cable you are using (i.e. null modem cable with software handshaking or hard-wired
    full handshaking).
    If you can't get a known good cable working buy a simple RS232 tester on ebay (the type with LEDs showing RX/TX/DTR/DSR etc)
    and test the ports on the machine.
    I suggest you read some theory on rs232 wiring and functionality.....
    RS-232 - Connecting Devices

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

fordav11

Thank you for the info on RS-232 wiring and functionality. The cable i made was from CIMCO Integration / Support. IT is the first one for hardware handshake. what does that mean regarding the CNC. Any specific mode or parameters i should put it in?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am trying all morning to send a file to the computer using PIP. I keep getting the

320 RS232C terminal not ready ERROR 'write' error.

from MDI> CHECK DATA > DNC(B) pannel i get :

HOST CPU STATUS 1
    CNC STATUS 0
    PARAMETER Nb 0 byte
    No 0 Byte
    Ne 0 times
    Tp 0 sec
    To 0 sec
    Ti 0 msec
    Tx 0 msec
    Tw 0 sec
    CONVERT CODE 00
    CONVERTED CODE 00

and of course the received data screen has all zero elements

Does this help? I would like to change the CNC status from 0 (not ready) to 1(CNC in normal status) but i dont know how...

Downloads
    Uploads

Typically I use the software handshaking with Xon/xoff simply because there are less wires needed. Both configurations from Cimco look correct for the Okuma's. if you are getting garbled info, it is usually because of mismatched baud rates. Make sure they match, but changing these on the Okuma will require a reboot. important tip; press the backup key before shutting down the control and then turn off the main breaker for at least one minute before re-booting. This allows the RS board in the machine to properly reset. Superman and Fordav11 are correct. Start simple and if you are getting no ready signal either cable isn't right or DSR/DST parameter isn't correct. if you switch to software handshaking, 4 to 5 will need to be jumpered on the Okuma end. I would suggest trying without DNC at first to upload and download from memory. Once the cable and settings are proven, proceed to DNC drip feed. Toggle switches for DNC must be changed with power off to be effective on boot.

Best regards,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    Typically I use the software handshaking with Xon/xoff simply because there are less wires needed. Both configurations from Cimco look correct for the Okuma's. if you are getting garbled info, it is usually because of mismatched baud rates. Make sure they match, but changing these on the Okuma will require a reboot. important tip; press the backup key before shutting down the control and then turn off the main breaker for at least one minute before re-booting. This allows the RS board in the machine to properly reset. Superman and Fordav11 are correct. Start simple and if you are getting no ready signal either cable isn't right or DSR/DST parameter isn't correct. if you switch to software handshaking, 4 to 5 will need to be jumpered on the Okuma end. I would suggest trying without DNC at first to upload and download from memory. Once the cable and settings are proven, proceed to DNC drip feed. Toggle switches for DNC must be changed with power off to be effective on boot.

Best regards,
    This is an old post but I'm having similar issue. My machine is an Okuma Cadet Mate with OSP700M. I have successfully been able to punch and read files sent through RS232 via the port labeled CH0. My machine has three 25 pin ports on the back cabinet labeled the following: CH0:, DNC, CH1:
    My issue is that the machine only has 32kb of memory and I need to dripfeed. I moved my cable from the CH0 port to the one labeled DNC. The cable is configured to the specs Morris South sent me, as they are my local Okuma Rep. It also matches the cable diagrams from my manual. With the machine powered off, I flip up both switches on the back (communication and DNC Buffer) and turn on the cabinet breaker and control. I have configured the CMPS menu to what they have told me to, and cycled the power for that as well. When I go to "auto" mode and press cycle start it gives me an Alarm 3218. I have been trying to find out what/if there are other parameters that need to be adjusted or turned on to make this work. Everyone says my CMPS setting should be all I need to adjust. And according to Morris South my machine is indeed fitted with the DNC B. So my question really is, is there other parameters that effect DNCB here that could cause this alarm. It throws the alarm every time the cycle start is pressed. At a loss. Been working on this for weeks off and on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bosephos View Post
    This is an old post but I'm having similar issue. My machine is an Okuma Cadet Mate with OSP700M. I have successfully been able to punch and read files sent through RS232 via the port labeled CH0. My machine has three 25 pin ports on the back cabinet labeled the following: CH0:, DNC, CH1:
    My issue is that the machine only has 32kb of memory and I need to dripfeed. I moved my cable from the CH0 port to the one labeled DNC. The cable is configured to the specs Morris South sent me, as they are my local Okuma Rep. It also matches the cable diagrams from my manual. With the machine powered off, I flip up both switches on the back (communication and DNC Buffer) and turn on the cabinet breaker and control. I have configured the CMPS menu to what they have told me to, and cycled the power for that as well. When I go to "auto" mode and press cycle start it gives me an Alarm 3218. I have been trying to find out what/if there are other parameters that need to be adjusted or turned on to make this work. Everyone says my CMPS setting should be all I need to adjust. And according to Morris South my machine is indeed fitted with the DNC B. So my question really is, is there other parameters that effect DNCB here that could cause this alarm. It throws the alarm every time the cycle start is pressed. At a loss. Been working on this for weeks off and on.
    I've been trying to figure out this exact issue for years, on and off. Somebody out there must know what the problem is, but I have not met that person either on the internet or personally. I can send files back and forth flawlessly but as soon as I turn on the buffer operation switch it all goes to hell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: Help me connect an Okuma workstation (OSP700M) to PC.

Hi guys...

so as i am in the same position as the threadfounder, but with different settings in our Okuma MX 45 VAE, i first have to find out, if a connection to a PC with ONLY RS232-C Slot is possible at all?

Our mashine has only 64kb as far as i figured out, it´s way to small memory to get done what we have to program here.

I would apreciate every hint i can get.

BTW, the FloppyDisk also doesnt work and says : Floppy not Initialised (but i have found some Floppydisks from the original owner we bought the mashine from)

Specs:

-Okuma MX 45VAE
    -OSP700M
    -only RS232-C connection without any switches (the dokumetation says that it is meant to read from a Tapereader or a DNC)

Already got a connection via DNC to a Mikron VCE 750 to get files from Fusion360 to work.
    But with Okuma it seems to be impossible for me at the moment.

Norman

Downloads
    Uploads

I am in the same boat as you up against that 64KB limit, its a bummer. Others can give you some hints to work around.

When you try to transfer from disk, are you going into the MS-DOS mode? Go to the EDIT screen then push EXTEND I believe twice, then you should see MS-DOS. Now you need to push EXTEND again and get to a button that says PROGRAM-INPUT. As far as I know all other attempts to access the floppy drive will not work as the control will be expecting an OSP formatted disk. And to add to the hassle, your PC won't read OSP formatted disks without some sort of convertor program.

You can use the RS232c to only transfer programs in and out of the control. You can not drip feed. So you are still at the 64KB limit.

Dave in Ohio

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Dave.

I called the Okuma Support and they said the same. They offer now two possibilities: DNC-B what means that i get a second RS232 Port so that i can dripfeed, the other option is to install a harddisk ( the Supporter meant Okuma sells them manufactured in Gold - extremely expensive)
    I guess we go for the 1st option. But before it has to be checked by Okuma if this Option is available for our OSP700M which is a lite version of 7000M...to be continued

Norman (Leipzig)

Downloads
    Uploads

Your next step will be to figure out if you have the B(do not confuse this with DNC-B, it is something different) method option to load programs into the run buffer. You should also figure out if you have the option to load from floppy disk directly into the run buffer. I believe though can not confirm that this would require the floppy disks to be OSP formatted. If you have these options, this will open the door to some much cheaper ways to get programs in to the control. You should have a machine build card in the back cabinet that lists all options your machine has installed. The other way to find out will be trial and error.

In my case I do not have either option. What I do is tweak my toothpaths and sacrifice some accuracy to make the tooth paths as small(memory usage) as possible in Fusion360. Look at the tolerance and smoothing options. Then I break the program down by tool and if needed break the tool paths down further to meet that 64KB limit. Then I load but just one segment of the program into the control at a time. I am only doing 1 offs so it isn't too bad to get a project completed. If this was for production it would not be efficient and really open to errors. Definitely not a good choice for the novice operator.

Keep us updated,
    Dave in Ohio

Downloads
    Uploads

So, the final state is, that 7000 Euro for the DNC-B (Hardware, Installation and Software) is way too much for that upgrade the Okuma Support offered. A bigger Harddisk would be nearly the same price...both riddiculous. I stay with the small space and save the money for a new Mashine which will not be an Okuma ;p

Greetings from Leipzig