Question on using LR15 lower turret as a tailstock

Thread: Question on using LR15 lower turret as a tailstock

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question on using LR15 lower turret as a tailstock

Hi Okuma experts. I am looking at a used Okuma LR15, it has the front and rear turrets on it. It doesn't have a tail stock but I was wondering if it is possible to use one of the turrets as a tail stock and if anyone has successfully done that? I hate to give up a machine that does have a tail stock for one that doesn't.
    Thanks
    J

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question on using LR15 lower turret as a tailstock

Yes, you can use a spring loaded one for light work. LR was a great machine, but be aware, drive units can top 10k each for those old machines if you have to buy a replacement.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes. I've been doing that on an LT for 6 years doing medium roughing and finishing with a live center. its totally the wrong machine for the parts we make (need a real tailstock ideally) but you can't tell management anything like how to do things the right way so the machine will continue to be hammered until it dies ;-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Yes, you can use a spring loaded one for light work. LR was a great machine, but be aware, drive units can top 10k each for those old machines if you have to buy a replacement.
    Thanks,
    Also I was wondering about the spindle bore. Says it has a spindle bore of 3.9" but only a bar size of 2.44". Is this due to the hole size of an 8" chuck? Is it possible to get to a bigger bar size with different work holding?

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

it's my understanding that the spindle bore is the hole through the chuck and the bar size is the hole through the draw tube
    I suppose the spindle bore could also be the raw hole through the spindle without the draw tube inserted. it depends on how Okuma defines it.
    its possible your machine can take a bigger chuck and draw tube but you would have to remove chuck and draw tube to inspect it

Downloads
    Uploads

3.9 would be spindle bore with nothing in it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have lr15 machine without tailstock..Seen lr15 tailstock for sale on Ebay.Is it possible to upgrade my model somehow?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spaggiari View Post
    I have lr15 machine without tailstock..Seen lr15 tailstock for sale on Ebay.Is it possible to upgrade my model somehow?
    You would need a lot more than just the tailstock, manifold block, hydraulic pressure adjuster, solenoid, foot pedal,pressure switch, probably software, lube line and manifold, hydraulic lines, and that's if the casting was prepped for a tailstock at the factory. Then lots of wiring.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    You would need a lot more than just the tailstock, manifold block, hydraulic pressure adjuster, solenoid, foot pedal,pressure switch, probably software, lube line and manifold, hydraulic lines, and that's if the casting was prepped for a tailstock at the factory. Then lots of wiring.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Yes,This is why Im asking..I understand that this upgrade is deeper than this unit itself .
    2 main questions:
    "that's if the casting was prepped for a tailstock at the factory" and software.
    I asked this question here as suppose that some members had the same idea and made good conclusions already.This can help to save time.