OSP5000 parameter backup

Thread: OSP5000 parameter backup

Default OSP5000 parameter backup

Hi!

I'm new in the forum but "struggled" with my old Okuma lathe and some home brewed Mach projects for couple decades as a hobbyist.

The type of the Okuma lathe is LS 30 N and it is still working fine even though it is from the beginning of 80's. OS is OSP5000.

For some reason I have started to worry if the machine could lost its parameters or something similar, maybe due to battery dying or such things.

Are there any way to take the back up of the vital parameters? I do not have any disks or softwares for the machine, exept some simple data transfer program that I have used on moving g-code file in between Okuma and PC.

Thanks,
    Juha

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OSP5000 parameter backup

You can use data-pip if it has it, problem is, if it looses parameters it looses machine software as well, and that can't be backed up. Original 5000 would have been on paper tape, then sent on 8 inch floppy! Problem with both those, tape readers are usually dead by now, and unless the dealer has been around for a long time, won't have the 8" floppy drive and board set. So, a lot of money to get software from okuma on more modern media, a new ram board since bubble memory is long gone, and a service call. The only things you can really do, keep the cabinet clean, and make sure all your fans are working.

Could you elaborate this data-pip a bit, please. The thing is, the user interface is in Finnish and I can't recall that I'd seen any pip there. Should I search it under some particular menu os so?
    I am using RS232 port for data transfer. I guess it has been installed on parallel with the tape reader (maybe puncher as well), but I've never used that and I doubt it would be working anymore (like you said).

Cheers,
    Juha

Downloads
    Uploads

Been a long time, if I remember correctly, there would be a data pip soft key when your in parameter page. Works the same as std pip, but will default output to A.Top. this old of 5000 may not have it, not sure if that was implemented then or on the 5000-lg.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

the DATA PIP procedure is in the manual.
    See the attached specific pages....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OSP5000 parameter backup-data_pip-pdf  

has anyone managed to do this? i have lb12 with osp5000 control, thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

If no DATA PIP is available as explained, the next best thing is to take screen shots of your parameter pages so you at least have a reference to go to. I'd suggest taking your Offsets? and Zero set pages as well and if you still have the Management Data card in the back of the electrical cabinet, capture that as well. That way if you do get to the point where a software reload is required, you won't be in the dark as to where you were. Like underthetire says,(he's spot on) I'm not sure if the 5000 control had DATA PIP, but I know the L-G did have it. It will print out or download a text file that lists all Tools, Offsets, and Parameters, thus the .TOP extension name.

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

thanks for the answer, these are difficult things for me to do, I can only try to do something with a person who is prepared and knows the procedures well, I am not suitable, I hope to find someone to help me in this, miolb12 is in German language, I would like to do two things, back up and change language

If you are losing parameters on a OSP5000, replace the battery. It is inside a square metal case. It's about 3/4" square and about an 1 1/4" long. It should be on the board in the power cabinet and is easily accessible. I get my replacements from Interstate Battery rather than Okuma.

Quote Originally Posted by BobHarper View Post
    If you are losing parameters on a OSP5000, replace the battery. It is inside a square metal case. It's about 3/4" square and about an 1 1/4" long. It should be on the board in the power cabinet and is easily accessible. I get my replacements from Interstate Battery rather than Okuma.
    Anybody has any idea about the battery type?

Downloads
    Uploads

doesn't really matter. It is not charged there anyway. Just replace with modern the same voltage and enough capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by justjuha View Post
    Anybody has any idea about the battery type?
    If you take the screw out of the case, you will see that it is a NiCad battery about the size of a AA battery. I think it is around 1.5v, but I'm not sure. It's been awhile since I have replaced one. Be sure to have machine powered up before unplugging battery or you will lose all the parameters. I have had Interstate Batteries replace these. They replace them for under $40. Cheaper than what you can buy from Okuma.
    Okuma's part number is E8040-292-659.