Okuma 4020 Tool Offsets :( - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Okuma 4020 Tool Offsets :(

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Okuma 4020 Tool Offsets :(

im going by what was said on the first page of this post. basically it was said that g15 h0 is the machine co-ordinates not the work offset co-ordinates. so what you are saying is set all the tools off the table under G15 H01 then use any one of those tools and touch off the top of the workpiece under the same G15 H01? I think I tried that and it still wanted to think that the workpiece was the top of the table lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Once a Tool is touched off, you never need to do it again until you replace it. Work offsets are used to adjust to different heights/locations of fixtures WITHOUT having to touch off tools again.

I prefer to set my spindle face to a 6” block, cal z on H1 and the touch the rest of the tools off to the same block. Your offsets will show actual tool lengths and then you can call up the tool and adjust a work offset so that when you touch the top of the part it reads zero.

From now on only adjust the work offset and all tools follow to the new zero point.

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    Once a Tool is touched off, you never need to do it again until you replace it. Work offsets are used to adjust to different heights/locations of fixtures WITHOUT having to touch off tools again.

I prefer to set my spindle face to a 6” block, cal z on H1 and the touch the rest of the tools off to the same block. Your offsets will show actual tool lengths and then you can call up the tool and adjust a work offset so that when you touch the top of the part it reads zero.

From now on only adjust the work offset and all tools follow to the new zero point.
    so from beginning to end what do you do

do you have to calibrate the spindle face everytime you have to change the work offset?

Downloads
    Uploads

Nope. Once you’ve followed my previous instructions just call up any tool (use G56H1 for example) and use Mid-auto manual to move the tool to the top of the part. Read the actual position number. If it is off by say +1.5”, the go to your work offset and ADD -1.5” to Z. Now your position should read Z0 when at the part top surface and you’re done. If XY need to be set, move to where you want XY zero to be, highlight X or Y and CAL 0.

Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

hello zgc

so from beginning to end what do you do
    do you have a touch setter ? i suppose you don't ...

however, 1st of all, you need to begin with a calibration procedure:
    ... pls check attached; do you have such a thing ? if not, you may use a ' normal ' toolhoder
    ... another method, like mr wizard said " I prefer to set my spindle face to a 6” block "

purpose of this procedure is to set, once and for all, the absolut origin for Z offsets; now you don't use an absolute origin, but relative, so you change it each time a new setup is there / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hello zgc

do you have a touch setter ? i suppose you don't ...

however, 1st of all, you need to begin with a calibration procedure:
    ... pls check attached; do you have such a thing ? if not, you may use a ' normal ' toolhoder
    ... another method, like mr wizard said " I prefer to set my spindle face to a 6” block "

purpose of this procedure is to set, once and for all, the absolut origin for Z offsets; now you don't use an absolute origin, but relative, so you change it each time a new setup is there / kindly
    I do not have a touch setter, there is the possibility of a new machine in the not to distant future with WIPS but for now here is what I did that seems to be working. As for a calibration tool i do not have one of those I Just ground down an 7" block and calbrated the spindle face to that

1. go to MDI and enter G15 H10 (H10 is my calibration height)
    2. Touched off face of spindle to a 7" block (spindle wont go quite down to 6")
    3. touch off all tools on 7" block
    4. go to MDI and type in G15 H1 (part height)
    5. Touch off any tool of the top of the part
    6. go to ZERO SET and CAL
    7. subtract tool height used from the ZERO SET Z height

does this seem to Jive with what you guys are doing? it seems to be working but i feel like theres a couple steps in there that don't need to be in there step 1 and 2 only need to be done once

Downloads
    Uploads

you are using again 2 wcs ( h10 and h1 ), and also you are substracting tool height at point 7 ?

nonono

you also ground down a block ? no need for that

i am a bit busy now, but i will share soon some details; i will try 2 be specific; is simple

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123